Mount Teide - Tenerife

renault

Cheers

Pete

TE Canary Islands

XPlane 11.5

Mount Teide mountain and the surrounding area form Teide National Park. 
It is a UNESCO Heritage Site (2007) and also Spain's most visited National Park

The last summit eruption occurred in 850 A.D. , although there also was an unexpected eruption in 1909 at the 
El Chinyero vent. The 850 A.D. eruption was responsible for producing the black lava flows which cover the 
volcano and parts of the island today.

u95UIhF.jpg

4Xx0pdS.jpg

One of the aspects of the Orbx True Earth Scenery Series that I most appreciate is the level of detail that
the mesh/photogrammetry can bring to a scene. Flying over Tenerife really does have a sense of realism.

It's a hard ole slog to get to the top , after leaving Tenerife Sud airport. The turbo's definitely earned their 
keep on this one.

Mount Teide's summit is 3615m  (12,188ft) and is the highest point in Spain. One of the things I noticed that
definitely seemed out of place at first glace were the buildings just off to the left.  

Who in their right mind would build a sizeable structure that close to a volcano I wondered ? 

jtCe5Zc.jpg

Historically, Tenerife was a popular viewing destination for European astronomers during the mid to late 1800's.
It was relatively easy to get close to the summit and the lack of heavy cloud cover and clear air made it a a preferred 
viewing location.

The buildings are actually part of an international observatory which was built in 1964 and the site has been in 
constant use since for a variety of research purposes.

Although Mount Tiede is classified as a dormant volcano ( I guess minor eruptions don't count in such matters)
it is the worlds 4th largest volcano. Measured from the sea floor it is about 8070m (24,600 ft) in height.

It also produces one of the world's largest shadows at dawn and dusk, apparently reaching out over 100 miles.

I thought it would be neat to get a more global perspective on this.  So sparing no expense for my Orbx colleagues,
I shelled out some coin for positioning gas for the nearest earth photo satellite. 

It gives a good perspective on how massive a volcano Mount Tiede actually is.

Sorry about the RAF folks. The just showed up at exactly the wrong time !

hGdFHEl.jpg

• Like 7

On 6/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, lifejogger said:

Super shots and thanks for the information.

Thanks John and you are most welcome

Cheers

Pete

On 6/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, BradB said:

I totally agree on the LOD , MSFS is good ; but XP TE really shines . Thanks for the shots Pete . :):)

Thanks John

Without TE , I simply wouldn't turn XP on.

With it, XPlane still has a solid place in my virtual hangar.

Cheers:)

Pete

On 6/3/2021 at 12:12 AM, Iain Emms said:

Great shots Pete.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain

Cheers

Pete

On 6/3/2021 at 12:33 AM, John Mac said:

Great shots Pete and informative post. Enjoyed that!

John.

Thanks  John. I'm very pleased you enjoyed it

Cheers

Pete

On 6/3/2021 at 2:19 AM, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful images and an interesting read too with so much information.

Thanks Martyn

I read a book on the history of astronomy a while ago and there were some references to the Canaries in it.

So I went on a bit of a "voyage of discovery" so to speak and put this together.

I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Cheers

Pete 

On 6/3/2021 at 3:03 AM, adambar said:

Excellent informative post and shots Pete! :)

Thanks Adam

Cheers:)

Pete

16 hours ago, timmo32 said:

Fantastic shots indeed!

Thanks Timmo

Cheers

Pete