London City Landmarks

Checked out the update of this today but think the submerged images showing through in the river detracts from the package. It’s like the bad old days of burned in static images of things like boats with wakes that just don’t look right. 
Otherwise, the fixed river banks is a huge improvement. 
Just my opinion of course but I think flat images of boats in the river should be removed or covered up as best as possible. 

Just flew through the illuminated Tower Bridge at night for the first time. The London pack with this update has lived up to my original expectations of it and I'm very happy with it. This coupled with Microsoft giving us a free UK World update in January is great news for Anglophiles. Thank you for the update, Orbx!

I’ve been flying this some more, this time later in the day and for me the changes to the river really break this add on. The low light reflecting on the river surface is now ruined by a bunch of non-reflective smudges. It doesn’t make sense to do this unless there is a 3D object there. It appears it’s only me or I’m in a minority here but I’m surprised no one else feels the same.

The masking to show objects under the water surface only really holds up in clear daylight and viewed directly from above imho. 

On 12/14/2020 at 9:31 PM, Donka said:

I’ve been flying this some more, this time later in the day and for me the changes to the river really break this add on. The low light reflecting on the river surface is now ruined by a bunch of non-reflective smudges. It doesn’t make sense to do this unless there is a 3D object there. It appears it’s only me or I’m in a minority here but I’m surprised no one else feels the same.

The masking to show objects under the water surface only really holds up in clear daylight and viewed directly from above imho. 

No, I think it is the one thing that could still be improved.

I love many things about the last patch but the Thames doesn't look like water anymore and all the 2D boats are an eyesore.

This is an issue with MFS as well though TBF and I wish the AI would detect them as it does clouds and shadows and paint them out and maybe replace with 3D boats where appropriate.

If I were a dev I would paint the 2D boats out of a scenery package Ortho and then use it as a water mask with MFS water on the top.

Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. I agree that the 2D imprints with their unintended "halos" aren't ideal but we felt that it still looks better than the half-submerged docks and boats of the default Thames.

We actually did experiment with a "synthetic" ortho for the river that removes all boat, dock, and bridge imprints. The compiled ortho achieved that goal but, unfortunately, it made the Thames look like a pristine tributary of the Amazon... As you know the Thames is a very busy place and modelling all the appropriate piers, docks, and boats/barges would be a massive undertaking (and you don't want us to place the same generic models over and over again...)

We are considering further updates for London Landmarks, including more custom boats and barges, but need to find out first what changes the upcoming World Update will make to the area. Moving targets, always 'great fun' for developers >:(

By the way, the blackshark AI actually did detect the boats and docks, which became apparent once we excluded the water that covers them. Except it placed trees and "random" buildings on their footprints, so we had to exclude those as well.

Cheers, Holger

I must add that I actually preferred the 2d objects with water exclusions to the default where they would show but not so visible. 

As someone who done the same thing with objects on this river in an add-on which is no longer needed i had comments that people like it and prefer it that way. 

From a higher altitude it looks good to me but all a matter of opinion can't please all it's almost impossible unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. I agree that the 2D imprints with their unintended "halos" aren't ideal but we felt that it still looks better than the half-submerged docks and boats of the default Thames.

We actually did experiment with a "synthetic" ortho for the river that removes all boat, dock, and bridge imprints. The compiled ortho achieved that goal but, unfortunately, it made the Thames look like a pristine tributary of the Amazon... As you know the Thames is a very busy place and modelling all the appropriate piers, docks, and boats/barges would be a massive undertaking (and you don't want us to place the same generic models over and over again...)

We are considering further updates for London Landmarks, including more custom boats and barges, but need to find out first what changes the upcoming World Update will make to the area. Moving targets, always 'great fun' for developers >:(

By the way, the blackshark AI actually did detect the boats and docks, which became apparent once we excluded the water that covers them. Except it placed trees and "random" buildings on their footprints, so we had to exclude those as well.

Cheers, Holger

Great insight, thank you very much.

And of course it is very sensible to wait for the UK world update before considering any further development of the London scenery.

Hopefully there is a solution in the pipeline from either Asobo or yourselves, not just for London but for future sceneries as many major cities are built around rivers.

The lastest screenshot in the December contest shows off this really well imho. Expand the screenshot and the river is just full of these bland, non reflective patches which for me spoils the look of the river.

4 hours ago, Shane54 said:

I am having issues with the integrity of the download, with errors being encountered during the download. I have uninstalled/reinstalled and also verified files but am getting the same errors. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Please open a new Support topic as your issue is not related to the original issue posted here.

You have an installation problem and not a critique of what London Landmarks looks like. Thanks.

Archived