Xplane11 EGNT poor performance and runway contours

bcollins004

Hi there,

Recently got the new Orbx EGNT for Xplane11 and I'm finding that my frames seem to drop from about 60-70 to 30 when coming into the gate. There also seems to be a large bump at either end of the runway (worst on 07) making it quite difficult to landing without getting airborne again!! 

Is there any possible way to fix this?

Thanks

Screenshot (948).png

Edited by bcollins004

As described in the Orbx Direct product info page for EGNT it is a highly detailed PBR rendition which will have a resources impact. I have to say that dropping to 30fps is not considered to be a fault and is in fact an acceptable frame rate for the period of time one would be at the detailed airport versus actually flying.

You don't mention what your PC specs or XP settings are or whether you are running traffic ai which all have an effect on fps at an airport.

Can you also confirm that you have TEGB Central installed.I attach a pic of what I see regarding bumps on the runway and I do not have that issue to the extent it impacts on landings.

Capture.thumb.JPG.86f1323c17c8b9a0b9c712e58b1212ee.JPG

There is also a similar topic regarding EGNT already responded to. Here is the link:

• 2 months later...

In regards to the previous answered topic - still experiencing very poor FPS when parked at the terminal making starting at Newcastle very difficult when setting up the plane.

Was mentioned a "lite" version may be released in the future - is this still on the horizon? Makes it difficult to use Orbx EGNT. :(

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, Tony Wroblewski said:

We're checking over this.. There was indeed an update to the mesh in GB Central to support this airport so we're investigating how this happened

Hey @Jon Clarkeand @Tony Wroblewski was this issue ever going to get picked up? The bumps on the runway at EGNT make it pretty dire to attempt an approach onto 07 as it stands currently. Hoping this might be addressed in the near future?

6 hours ago, mr5762 said:

Hey @Jon Clarkeand @Tony Wroblewski was this issue ever going to get picked up? The bumps on the runway at EGNT make it pretty dire to attempt an approach onto 07 as it stands currently. Hoping this might be addressed in the near future?

Please oblige and post a pic of the area that you find a problem with.

I attach a pic of what i see and have highlighted a dip I see on the Runway 7 but it did not disrupt or cause any issue when I landed there. I will ask the devs as well.

Capture.thumb.JPG.69299586c66eb72de34c1929d7c938e2.JPG

It's exactly as you've posted (and OP  and MM100 posted) but I can grab a screen from mine again later. I don't think it would present much of an issue with a GA plane but with a 737 it's a lot more of a handful, as others have pointed out too :)

• 1 month later...

The performance problems at the main terminal appear to be down to the file EGNT_Terminal_04.obj. You can either use WED to hide the object or delete/rename the file in the directory Custom Scenery\Orbx_A_EGNT_Newcastle\Terminal (the later will error to the log). I've had the frame rate double after hiding the object in WED and loading up at gates 4 or 5.

• 1 month later...

Just purchashed EGNT (and EGPH). Both good looking PBR airports. However when looking at the Welcome-Newcastle letters and and at main terminal and the fps drops from 60-80 to 25-35. Which is significant and not the case at any of the larger airports in the collection such as LOWW or indeed EGPH. 

It seems @cbm2is correct in identifying EGNT_Terminal_04.obj as particularily troublesome. After a bit of testing it seems that there's a reasonable amount of "town light" definitions at the end of the file that cause a massive increase in GPU render time, regardless of day or night time. 

Removing these brings the fps back up to 60+ and comparing screenshots from before and after I see no visible difference in my airport (or surroundings) during day and night. Taking care to look at the lights in particular.

I believe a scenery dev should be able to identify and fix this issue, so I'm hoping these findings can point a dev into the right direction.

I can't really agree with this I'm afraid 

I have to say that dropping to 30fps is not considered to be a fault and is in fact an acceptable frame rate for the period of time one would be at the detailed airport versus actually flying.

as you buy scenery airports because you want to have a nice (visual) experience at the gate, taxiing around, taking off and landing, not for flying over them.

For a relatively small airport with relativily low complexity, it should not bring a reasonable system to it's knees considering this is not the case at larger and more complex airports either, therefore indicative of an issue. 

I could be wrong about the cause, I might've simply found something that functions as a workaround for me but I would say it would be good to have a dev take a quick look at this. Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It must be a very deep dark hole, if the devs have been looking into it since early July. 

Frankly no point in me buying the EGNT airport scenery, given the state of the TE mesh - I avoid going there specifically because the runway is more lumpy than grandma's porridge.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, Steve Raycraft said:

I've reach out again to our developers for an update on this issue. Thank you for your continued patience.

If I may, I appreciate the response but these issues have persisted for over a year now. Have your development teams abandoned X-Plane projects and bug fixing? This airport is essentially unusable due to these problems.  

• Like 1