A simmers mistake

Stillwater

For this flight out of La Paz "El Alto" I wanted to use an Airbus (like in regular services), which I did with success. I also wanted a more-or-less local airline from my instalment, so I chose LATAM Brazil. Success. I overlooked that I only had this livery installed on a 321, not the commercially used 320. As a consequence, the runway proved too short for a regular start... Good that this is only a sim.

iCcHEgo.jpg

I cheated the plane up over the Altiplano.

n8D3puQ.jpg

Lots of volcanos and other peaks around the plain.

mMSf9pU.jpg

And gigantic lakes, like the Lago Poopo.

1tgHgDs.jpg

But not all lakes could stand the sun. Some turned into salt fields, like the Salar de Uyuni. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni

NOplxso.jpg

It is the biggest salt flat on Earth, at an elevation of 12000 ft. Following rain, a thin layer of dead calm water transforms the flat into the world's largest mirror, 129 kilometers (80 miles) across. It also forms the worlds biggest Lithium source. In the past decade the Bolivian government turned mining from foreign companies into a domestic-controlled joint venture, leaving a bigger part of the profit in the country.

SH5uHuc.jpg

The airport of Uyuni is not present in p3d. But with the help of https://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/bolivia.html you can get it. [Some of the links there are dead or leading to suspicious websites.]

G6Gdha2.jpg

Landing worked, and the place looks fascinating.

JxpHa2Y.jpg

A very good idea to fly over Bolivia thanks Gerold.

Amazing salar reflecting the clouds during dizains of kms after rains, as you said.

Also to remind that many wonders in Spain (in Sevilla etc) have been built thanks to the tons of gold collected (stolen) in the silver mines of Potosi close to Uyuni...

Uyuni where there is a wonderful carnaval full of typical suits and masks, and a fantastic train which 25 years ago was like the one of Tintin au Pérou ... (I don't know if it is still existing)

:)

13 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you, Iain.

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

A very good idea to fly over Bolivia thanks Gerold.

Amazing salar reflecting the clouds during dizains of kms after rains, as you said.

Also to remind that many wonders in Spain (in Sevilla etc) have been built thanks to the tons of gold collected (stolen) in the silver mines of Potosi close to Uyuni...

Uyuni where there is a wonderful carnaval full of typical suits and masks, and a fantastic train which 25 years ago was like the one of Tintin au Pérou ... (I don't know if it is still existing)

:)

Thanks Jean Marc. Interesting history memory of the colonial times. And no doubt I would like to see the Tintin train, be it in real or in the sim!

Very impressive pictures and I like the LATAM livery very much.

14 hours ago, Stillwater said:

For this flight out of La Paz "El Alto" I wanted to use an Airbus (like in regular services), which I did with success. I also wanted a more-or-less local airline from my instalment, so I chose LATAM Brazil. Success. I overlooked that I only had this livery installed on a 321, not the commercially used 320. As a consequence, the runway proved too short for a regular start... Good that this is only a sim.

Sometimes you just have to cheat. As long as it's plausible for you - it's only a sim as you said.

Also, did you consider doing the take-off with something like "APU to pack", i. e., switching engine bleed air off and APU bleed air on? And letting the engines spool up to 70 % before releasing the brakes. 

26 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Very impressive pictures and I like the LATAM livery very much.

Sometimes you just have to cheat. As long as it's plausible for you - it's only a sim as you said.

Also, did you consider doing the take-off with something like "APU to pack", i. e., switching engine bleed air off and APU bleed air on? And letting the engines spool up to 70 % before releasing the brakes. 

Thank you Lars!

I did nothing of your mentioned tricks, as I just recognized my mistake at the end of the runway...:o:D

18 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Runways are never too short in the sim, Gerold - nice work.

:D!

15 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Very nice set of shots

John

Thank you John!

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent set Gerold.  Do you any planning software?

Thanks Jack. Yes, I planned with Pro-ATC/X. For the A320, of course... As I said, a mistake.

Archived