El Condor Pasa

Stillwater

For my next leg out of Cuzco I tried to use a real plane. With some local musicians playing in the cabin, probably to overcome their fear after seeing the pilots boarding.

The airport is at 10700 ft. Unfortunately at this altitude the engines go hot the moment you fire´em up. Climbing is a bit of stress...

OP8gT4i.jpg

But I could follow the roads between the mountains...

pJgsZQj.jpg

... to reach Puno...

MU3IWYt.jpg

... and Copacabana...

4lT51H7.jpg

... at the shores of Lake Titicaca. By volume of water and by surface area, it is the largest lake in South America. It is also the highest lake with commercial travel in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Titicaca

wQhV7Md.jpg

Landing at La Paz was not easy either: When slowing down the engines heat up again. The airport is at 13250 ft, which makes it the highest commercially used airport on the planet.

hMAWUlO.jpg

And the ATC at airport "El Alto" even provided me with a go-around. At least the virrtual engines survived and brought us to Bolivia´s capital safely.

XcS1fDL.jpg

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Nice shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you, Iain!

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Rugged country but superb shots Gerold . ???:D

Thanks a lot, John.

8 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Great adventure! High altitude operations are very demanding. http://www.b737.org.uk/lapazairport.htm I'm glad you made it.

My "pleasure", Lars. Great website you linked to, it gives us an impression of the preparation a real pilot would have done before flying there.

18 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Very nice

John

Thank you John!

14 hours ago, adambar said:

Very nicely done Gerold. :)

Thanks Adam.

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Amazing stuff Gerold.  I love your tours, they're always so informative.  

You´re welcome, Jack. I also learn a lot from these tours. And I´d like to make nearly all of them in real life, vaccine and money provided...

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Great shots Gerold - Yma Sumac had a voice that would shatter crystal wine glasses so we drank out of dixie cups.  Simon&Garfunkel had a nicer version of that tune.

Thank you OnD. No risk of glass on board of this plane. And no foreign tourists (like those gentlemen remembered by you) were brave enough to fly with me...

Archived