First flight in the free A2A P-40

Orbxtreme

P40-01.thumb.jpg.69eefe4cc11f6b962482fac9bbae2cc0.jpg

First, I must thank A2A for this free aircraft during COVID-19. I was already a customer, but this gift comes as a real surprise.The aircraft starts without problem using the book. The lazy CNTRL-F1 procedure does not work with FSX. That adds to the fun.

P40-02.thumb.jpg.d9fabdcbd1f63e93b3478fb36440ee53.jpg

It wasn’t time to do crazy things on the first flight. Just hoping to stay in the air and not damage the aircraft.

P40-03.thumb.jpg.275f352d38a6b05de4825cd181b0dcfa.jpg

The landing procedure requests that the cockpit be opened. So, here it is.

P40-04.thumb.jpg.4054372ffa0a5abb87043d30b9f72b08.jpg

Gears, flaps and cowls at 50%.

P40-05.thumb.jpg.360b95b9c3b41f25c9f74bbbc77199ff.jpg

Not trying a three point landing on the first trial. Just making sure that the rear wheel does not touch the ground first.

P40-06.thumb.jpg.7dacd0d67a4be8bee2b86b92c619d48c.jpg

A2A says the speed should be maintained around 95 kts for the arrival.

P40-07.thumb.jpg.01d66cdb8541e6ceafdd257f15e55451.jpg

A bit of smoke on touch down.

P40-08.thumb.jpg.3d71e86ce5e9dd3e9416a86fab9eb270.jpg

Now letting the tail slowly go down. This aircraft lands like a gem. I like the engine noise too.

P40-09.thumb.jpg.a4653558ef3e32a75c6b51a03d851e71.jpg

Exiting the runway, still under the shock of being alive. While taxiing, 100% cowl flaps, raising flaps, closing carb heat.

P40-10.thumb.jpg.e4dfeacf68e0c889b0e12416fa6bca4b.jpg

That was a super first trial of this beautiful A2A aircraft. But nothing is perfect : you can see that  my friends on the right don’t practice the ideal 2 meter social distancing. But hell, what can you do?!

Cheers!

Great shots of the great plane ! :) 

I recently flew it and I had trouble to up the wheels after the take off - blocked despite the use of the manual lever :angry: ... I need to look in the manual for the cause and right process :) ... If you have any idea ... I think it was not due to a too high speed ...?? ???

1 hour ago, jean marc said:

Great shots of the great plane ! :) 

I recently flew it and I had trouble to up the wheels after the take off - blocked despite the use of the manual lever :angry: ... I need to look in the manual for the cause and right process :) ... If you have any idea ... I think it was not due to a too high speed ...?? ???

My first idea when you said the gear would not go up is that you waited too long after take off, and the speed built up. But since it is not about speed, that is a good question! On page 17 of the manual, they tell how to lift the gear with the use of the hand hydraulic pump in case you want to try that also, just to see if this method works. On page 29, there is the Maintenance hangar, with shift-7, in case the gear was damaged on take off. You can try a complete overhaul just to make sure. Operations: T/O and rotate at 110 mph. Other than that, it is a mystery to me!

6 hours ago, schtroumf said:

It's great, it's planeB)

You bet!

5 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I also like it a lot, but I have crashed it three times already.

But you survived to talk about it, so that's all that matters! :)

In the window that has the the controls, I think its shift 2 or 3, you can click on the automatic hydraulic  pump and it will keep up the hydraulic pressure.  You need to have the pressure to lower and raise the flaps and gear.  This last time I crashed it I tried to lower the landing gear and no pressure so nothing happened.  I engaged the automatic hydraulic pump and lowered the flaps but forgot to try again to lower the gear.  Result was a wheels up landing. 

9 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

uld not go up is that you waited too long after take off, and the speed built up. But since it is not about speed, that is a good question! On page 17 of the manual, they tell how to lift the gear with the use of the hand hydraulic pump in case you want to try that also, just to see if this method works. On page 29, there is the Maintenance hangar, with shift-7, in case the gear was damaged on take off. You can try a complete overhaul just to make sure. Operations: T/O and rotate at 110 mph. Other than that, it is a mystery to me!

Thank you very much François - I will retry this WE :)

3 hours ago, Bullfox said:

he window that has the the controls, I think its shift 2 or 3, you can click on the automatic hydraulic  pump and it will keep up the hydraulic pressure.  You need to have the pressure to lower and raise the flaps and gear.  This last time I crashed it I tried to lower the landing gear and no pressure so nothing happened.  I engaged the automatic hydraulic pump and lowered the flaps but forgot to try again to lower the gear.  Result was a wheels up landing. 

Yes I Will try this way for the hydraulic pump many thanks !!

17 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Brilliant shots!  You have managed what looks like a perfect flight.

Thanks Jack, but I really thought that this first flight would end up in a disaster. Those old warplanes are very touchy to handle!

Archived