Colour Frustration

fltsimguy

So, I have partial colour blindness...and have been very frustrated with the new Orbx Central for months.

While I might be a minority user in this category, certain shades of red/green combos are a huge problem for me.

This shows up in the left side colour choices for what has been bought and owned and installed vs those that are not.

I really have to struggle to find which are in each category, I have to stare hardly at the choices and scan my eyes back and forth and then I can perceive the shading variation.  Only folks who are colour blind in various ways can possible know how annoying (handicapping) this is.

Its kinda like the left handedness vs right handedness of our society. Also being left handed, this gives me a couple strikes for awkwardness; only left handed folks can really tell you how many things in a day are made exclusively for right handed folks while totally ignoring left handed folks. Some may be simple but nevertheless annoying...simple example for those with a Keurig coffee maker, where are the buttons, on the right side, seems simple but awkward.

cheers

Bryan

I also saw a news story recently about people who were colourblind trying out these glasses which seemed to be a miracle cure.  The people in the story were literally crying with joy and just stunned because they hadn't seen the world that way before.  There were young kids, young adults, middle aged adults, and seniors, and all the reactions were one of a miracle occurring.  Unfortunately I can't recall exact details about the glasses but a google search should yield some results.  Something to see an optometrist about maybe.

Cheers,

I don't need central to tell me what scenery I have  via differing colours -my bank statements do that -

but Bryan is right - most of the world don't believe that we can mix up our colours - some even think that all we see is greyscale.

Maybe I do see Orbx scenery different to most - but I do enjoy it. I remind myself that the best wartime spotters could see items

that were camouflaged - as if they were without - and I have no problems in Sniper or Arma 3:rolleyes: 

I am one of those 12.5% of blokes who are colour blind - show me one of those multi dotted cards

and I used to think that the DOC was making fun off me - not single number to be seen!!

It didn't stop the Govt from snatching me up for National Service though - but it did stop me getting a full 

Civilian PPL Class 4 instrument rating - and which made it illegal for me to fly at night because they said 

I couldn't distinguish red - green or white lights. I actually had brilliant eyesight - and in the lantern test - I could tell the Doc 

which way each A/C was moving - if its going right - then the colour is green - going left - then its red -  but that wasn't good enough.

However - there's no one to stop me flying at night now - and my night landings are so much better than my day ones -

mainly because I can pick out the runway and get a clean line up - miles out from the field

14 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

I really have to struggle to find which are in each category, I have to stare hardly at the choices and scan my eyes back and forth and then I can perceive the shading variation.

You’re not alone. I previously have contacted many web and print publishers to ask that their outputs be calibrated against colour-blindness. Sadly, not every publisher is sympathetic although some have reacted very quickly with complete understanding. To be fair, I haven’t contacted Orbx about Central’s colour palette  because I’ve read others doing that. It is a problem though and it’s frustrating that colour-blindness is not considered by so many publishers. 

I am one of the many lucky ones who does not suffer colour blindness, but we recently discovered our almost six year old grandson does so I am now more sensitive to this issue. I am now conscious that he does not see the world the way that I do and try to describe thiings to him and listen carefully to what he says when I describe a colour or shade of something so that I can get a better sense of how he sees that colour.

I understand now the need for the goodwill and support of talented individuals and caring organizations to adapt their products and policy to be more helpful to those who have physical challenges different from the bulk of us.

Rick

I guess I was about five.  Stopped at a traffic light, I said: "Mommy, why is it called a 'green light ?'  It's white."  Kelly green is green, an apple is red, but subtle shades and pastels throw me.  Pie charts, weather maps, and most color coding is impossible for me to decipher. So thank you Ben and ORBX for your consideration in this matter.

Ken

17 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

I guess I was about five.  Stopped at a traffic light, I said: "Mommy, why is it called a 'green light ?'  It's white."  Kelly green is green, an apple is red, but subtle shades and pastels throw me.  Pie charts, weather maps, and most color coding is impossible for me to decipher. So thank you Ben and ORBX for your consideration in this matter.

Ken

Yes this is exactly it...solid, shape deep colours are ok, its those that are shades of this or that.

Last year my wife and I were browsing the satellite tv guide in our RV, she was telling me to check the "blue" ones for movies, I said I don't see any blue one's, she said yes right next to the purple one's....too funny I couldn't tell the difference between them, to me they all seemed sort of purple. Its a colour over ride thing that happens.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, Scott Harmes said:

I also saw a news story recently about people who were colourblind trying out these glasses which seemed to be a miracle cure.  The people in the story were literally crying with joy and just stunned because they hadn't seen the world that way before.  There were young kids, young adults, middle aged adults, and seniors, and all the reactions were one of a miracle occurring.  Unfortunately I can't recall exact details about the glasses but a google search should yield some results.  Something to see an optometrist about maybe.

Cheers,

Yes very familiar with these. In my case and like a lot of folks, its a partial colour blindness, weird to describe, these glasses may help I have never researched it. Partial colour blindness then is more about shades of colours, and only in certain light frequencies, and where colours to one might be obviously different but to my or others they look the same.

Fortunately highway roadsigns, traffic lights things like those for me are no issue.

But some maps, or colour coded indexed things can be a bear.

Archived