Problem with EGNX East Midlands Airport.

lauriebe

Have had computer problems for a while but, hopefully, they are now sorted.

On re-opening XP11 and trying to set up a flight from East Midlands, I noticed that the scenery did not appear to load correctly.  At the western end of the runway is a grey shaded area that extends into the cargo facility area and the car parks beyond.  I am fairly certain that this was not the case when I originally downloaded the scenery.  Looking closely at the grey areas, it appears that they are covered in water.

I have tried uninstalling and then re-installing all to no avail.  The grey area still appears.  A verify files seems to show that all is as it should be but that clearly is not the case. 

I attach two images to show the problem.

I have checked most of the other Orbx add-on airports that I have and there does not seem to a problem with any of them.  It's only the East Midlands scenery that throws up this odd problem.

I attach my scenery packs file for info.

Would appreciate any suggestions/help to resolve this.

Many thanks.

Laurie.

saUdgKh.jpg

CvO1MT9.jpg

scenery_packs.ini

@lauriebe See if  going into Flight Configuration/Weather/Customise and then check if the Runway Wetness setting is set to Dry or Damp or Wet. Set it to Dry and see if it removes the problem. What I see in your pic is PBR effects at work in conjunction with the time of day (angle of the sun) and wet runway.

I will take a look at your scenery_packs.ini shortly. In the meantime do as I suggest and report back.

@Jon Clarke

Many thanks for your prompt response to my query.

I have done as you suggested and checked the Runway Wetness and ensured that it was set to 'Dry'.  It was.

I reloaded the scenery again with the same results as shown in my earlier images.

I then downloaded and installed the rearranged scenery packs file that you forwarded.  Again, on reload, there was no change.  The light grey shaded areas are still very much apparent and the grassed areas at the side of the runway (09) seem to be underwater. 

As can be seen in the first image in my original post, the grey area starts about half way down the runway.  At the 27 threshold, all is fine.

Hello Jon.

My XP graphics settings are as shown below.

I don't have X-Vision, Reshade or XP Reflections.  I use UWXP but de-activated it to see if there was any difference with this odd effect.  There wasn't.

I have also tried different visual effects, texture quality and reflection settings.  The odd grey (water) areas still persisted.  The demarcation lines are very clear as in the second and third images.

It seems very odd that this problem only affects the western half of EGNX. 

My graphics settings:

Nv6ZFAD.jpg

The dividing lines:

us9LdEW.jpg

YLOEFcj.jpg

15 minutes ago, lauriebe said:

Yes, Windows 10 fully updated.

My system is:

Intel i7-6700 @ 3.4 ghz not over clocked

40 Gbs of RAM

G Force GTX1060 with 6 gbs of vram.

Thanks. What is also strange is that it is only, to my knowledge, affecting your installation. I have no reports from others nor do I have that effect in my installation.

I am going to have to pass this to others for comment as i have run out of ideas, but will summarise so that others know what we have done so far:

Wet/grey areas appearing on western side of runway. Runway wetness set to Dry

All graphics have been tested with different settings levels

No additional addons like X-Vision, Reshade or XP Reflections but has UWXP disabled during testing.

Scenery packs rearranged by me

@Nick Cooper @Tony Wroblewski @Greg Jones Do you gents have any ideas on this? It appears a unique anomaly to this OP. The contents of his addons are within the attached scenery_packs .ini which I rearranged but the changes I made were cosmetic/tidying up rather than potentially fixing his problem.

scenery_packs.ini

Jon, many thanks for the help.

I have been looking a little wider across the XP world today.  I am getting similar textures in other airports, not just Orbx ones, mainly in apron textures.  Surfaces look like polished glass/wet but should all be dry.

You mentioned PBR before.  Possibly something to do with that?

I am beginning to think that this is more an XP problem that an Orbx one.

5 minutes ago, lauriebe said:

Jon, many thanks for the help.

I have been looking a little wider across the XP world today.  I am getting similar textures in other airports, not just Orbx ones, mainly in apron textures.  Surfaces look like polished glass/wet but should all be dry.

You mentioned PBR before.  Possibly something to do with that?

I am beginning to think that this is more an XP problem that an Orbx one.

It could be as one of the effects PBR does is the"wet look" reflection, however i repeat, it seems to only affecting you as I do not have that effect anywhere (the grey) nor do I have reports of anyone else having this problem.

1 hour ago, lauriebe said:

Hello,

can you visit some of your other "wet" locations in your backup X plane 11 please?

See if they are also dry.

In the copy of XP your having trouble with you might try trashing the preferences files inside the output / preferences folder except for your joystick calibration and key files, also the shader file in the output / shader folder. Then before restarting XP remember, or keep a screenshot of your main XP settings as you will need to reset back again them after restarting.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

can you visit some of your other "wet" locations in your backup X plane 11 please?

On 10/17/2019 at 2:00 AM, BobT said:

Have you installed any airport enhancement add ons...like ALES? Anything that could have changed XP default textures? 

On 10/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, Sentry11 said:

In the copy of XP your having trouble with you might try trashing the preferences files inside the output / preferences folder except for your joystick calibration and key files, also the shader file in the output / shader folder. Then before restarting XP remember, or keep a screenshot of your main XP settings as you will need to reset back again them after restarting.

My apologies for the late response.  Have had a busy few days and not been able to get online.

Nick, I will do as you suggest later today and see what the results are.

BobT, I have Airport Environment HD by Mister X6 installed.

Sentry11, I have already deleted the shader file.  It made no difference.  I will look at the preferences files later today.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Hello Nick.

I checked out two other 'wet' locations on the backup disk earlier. 

The first was Cardiff.  On the backup disk there is what appears to be a 'wet' area immediately in front of the terminal.

At the second location, Southampton, there does not appear to be any problem.

I also looked at Sumburgh because on the main installation, traffic on the roads immediately around the airport drives in reverse.  This does not happen on the backup disk.

However, please note that the backup disk is not fully updated.  Both TE GB South and Central are the old versions as I have not yet updated them.  TE GB North is fully updated.

Please ignore my Post #12.  The scenery depicted in that image is not the Orbx East Midlands.  I had forgotten that I had another version installed in the backup disk.

Yet another "senior moment"!!  Seem to be coming thick and fast now.

Yesterday, I updated the TE GB South and Central files on the backup disk.  I also downloaded and installed Orbx East Midlands.

Once everything was set up, I started a flight at East Midlands to test if the grey areas that I first mentioned were present at the western end of the airport.  They were.  I now have the same problem on both the main XP11 installation and the backup version.

Am at a loss as to the cause.

@lauriebe

I am at a loss too, so I think it's time we tried to find the cause by more drastic measure !

I want you to rename you Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery_Disabled.

Copy and paste TEGB South (or shortcut link it) into a new folder named Custom Scenery. Also copy/paste or shortcut link, EGNX and OrbxLibs and Global Airports. Nothing else in the new folder. Disable all or any Plugins you may have like LUA scripts if any.

Run XP. Exit XP. Check that the layering in scenery_packs.ini is :

EGNX

Global Airports

TEGB South Custom

TEGB South Overlay

TEGB South Orthos

OrbxLibsXP

Run XP at EGNX and see if you still have the shiny, wet look grey areas.

Report back.

By doing the above we will determine whether another addon is causing the anomaly, as it is not being reported by anyone else.

@Jon Clarke

Jon, many thanks for your response.

I amended the name of my Custom Scenery folder as you indicated and then created a new folder called Custom Scenery.

I have not really any idea how to create shortcuts so I copied and pasted the files that you mentioned.

I don't have any LUA scripts.

I ran XP and then shut it down to check the Scenery_Packs file.  Had to make one alteration by moving EGNX above Global Airports.

I then ran a flight at EGNX to check for any grey (wet) areas.  They are indeed still present.

Moving from the threshold of Rwy 27, it seems the airport is divided into three areas.  The first section seems ok.  The second section has a light grey shaded area.  The last portion is quite a heavy grey (wet) area. 

I attach a screenshot to show what I mean.

I also attach the revised scenery_packs ini file.

dSxyTZ4.jpg

scenery_packs.ini

OK that's a shame. Keeping the same new Custom Scenery folder,can you run Verify Files for TEGB South. also ensure that you have the  Auto Updates set temporarily (if applicable) set to Enabled in Orbx Central. This option is found in Settings on the Orbx central opening page at the bottom.

Advise the version of TEGB South that is installed.

Have only just installed the new Central so am feeling my way around that.

Auto Updates is set to Enabled.

The version of TEGB South that I have installed is Version 1.1.1.

I ran a verify files as suggested and got a green tick on completion.  I assume that means all is well.

I then re-ran the flight from EGNX to check if there were any changes.  There weren't.  The grey areas still persist as in the last image above.

This is probably best investigated by the developer, @razgo.

What version of XP are you running? 

As the issues seem to be peculiar to one install of XP on your system (where the other one is OK), it seems logical that the fault lies within XP itself. Is this an XP beta build perchance?

Greg

@Greg Jones

I am running X-Plane 11.35r1 (build 113510 64-bit).

I have the same version on my main setup and the backup.  I updated the backup two days ago and have the same texture anomaly at East Midlands on both main and backup disks.

FYI,  my system is:

Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40Ghz, not overclocked.

40.0 Gb of RAM.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6Gb vram.

64-bit operating system.

Windows 10 Home version 1903, build 18362.418

I am beginning to also think that the fault lies within XP.  I have never downloaded or installed any beta versions of XP.

Regards,

Laurie.

4 hours ago, lauriebe said:

I seem to have solved the problem by updating from XP11.35 to XP11.36.

All appears to as it should now.

Do you use xVision?

I had the same issue (but no team member ever replied <_<). For me it turned out to be xVision messing up the shaders. I re-applied the settings in xVision, thus replacing old shader settings and was good to go. Since the update from .35 to .36 probably also replaced any modded/broken shaders with default ones, it fixed the issue.

I had a similar issue with weird texture appearance over part of the airport. Removing xVision and doing an install check (starting the xp installer and running an update, which restored a couple of files, one of them a shader...) seems to have sorted the issue.

There is something perhaps with shader modding, like that which xvision does (I had an older version running still, 1.25). Perhaps UWXP does something similar to visuals like xvision?

A

12 hours ago, alehead said:

I had a similar issue with weird texture appearance over part of the airport. Removing xVision and doing an install check (starting the xp installer and running an update, which restored a couple of files, one of them a shader...) seems to have sorted the issue.

There is something perhaps with shader modding, like that which xvision does (I had an older version running still, 1.25). Perhaps UWXP does something similar to visuals like xvision?

A

A,

I had disabled UWXP for the tests and still got the odd textures.  I don't have xVision installed.

Since update to XP11.36, I have re-installed UWXP and there are no problems at all now.

As you mention, I think it was a revised/missing file in my old XP setup that caused the problem.

Laurie.

Archived