Crazy Anomoly at Vashon

Unsure what is going on here. For some reason the autogen disappears with a different view!!  It only happens at Vashon and I've never experienced it before. I have just done a brand new install of P3D V4.5 and Orbx. I have re-downloaded Vashon and reinstalled it twice, but with no success. Hopefully the video should show exactly what the problem is. Help appreciated fellas.  

6 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Howard

Is your P3Dv4.5 updated to the latest hot fix 2?

Hi Doug, sure, it was released the day after I had done a full install of P3d! So I installed the latest client last weekend. I have to say, I've not seen anything like it before. It does seem to only be present at Vashon, which seems to suggest it's somehow scenery specific.

Looks to me like P3D muight be prioritising some scenery in the area over the autogen below you.

Knock the autogen and scenery detail distance sliders back a couple of notches and see if that makes a difference.

KSEA, Boeing Field and Seattle are all candidates for drawcalls at this distance... and P3DV4.5 allows scenery to be called in a lot further away than previous versions.

11 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Looks to me like P3D muight be prioritising some scenery in the area over the autogen below you.

Knock the autogen and scenery detail distance sliders back a couple of notches and see if that makes a difference.

KSEA, Boeing Field and Seattle are all candidates for drawcalls at this distance... and P3DV4.5 allows scenery to be called in a lot further away than previous versions.

Hi John, the draw distance is set to normal, so pretty conservative. But I'll try your suggestion later today and report back. I hope I can sort the issue, because I love this little airfield.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

does this anomaly happen with the Orbx product disabled?

I cannot reproduce it at all.

I've just had a look at things and running with low autogen distance and sliders at low, made no difference. However, I did notice the scenery libraries were at the bottom of the Orbx tree, after moving them to the top, it seems to have done the trick. No problem any more. Does this sound like the culprit Nick?

21 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

unlikely but if it's fixed, then all is well.

Hi Nick, it seems, for some reason this issue is still present. I don't know why it didn't show up the last time. Perhaps it was because I didn't land at the airstrip (?) Anyway, the issue can be clearly seen even moreso in another video I have just uploaded. It only happens here. I have also tried it with default scenery and there is no problem, as soon as I install Vashon the problem arises. Your help appreciated, thanks.   

I've never seen that in all my years of flight simming.  I've seen individual buildings etc disappear when the view angle reaches a critical angle but never wholesale disappearing like that.

Are your drivers the latest?  If so maybe reinstall the original drivers that came with your card?

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Very odd, do you use Chaseplane or EzDok?

I use Chaseplane Nick 

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

I've never seen that in all my years of flight simming.  I've seen individual buildings etc disappear when the view angle reaches a critical angle but never wholesale disappearing like that.

Are your drivers the latest?  If so maybe reinstall the original drivers that came with your card?

Hmm, they are relatively new John.

Hello,

it seems that you are not alone

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514224-buildings-dissappearing-from-different-angles/

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14352

There are other topics revealed by a search.

I have seen this before but never with anything other than default FSX and P3D buildings when on photo scenery.

I am completely unable to replicate this with a variety of settings in either FSX or P3D v4 and using Chaseplane.

However, reading the topics, I would suggest that your first port of call should be your cameras.cfg file.

The fact that the effect is over the whole peninsular and not restricted to the airport might be relevant.

Are you seeing this anywhere else?

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514224-buildings-dissappearing-from-different-angles/

I have seen this before but never with anything other than default FSX and P3D buildings when on photo scenery.

I am completely unable to replicate this with a variety of settings in either FSX or P3D v4 and using Chaseplane.

However, reading the topics, I would suggest that your first port of call should be your cameras.cfg file.

The fact that the effect is over the whole peninsular and not restricted to the airport might be relevant.

No Nick, only at Vashon, and as I say, not default, just with the freeware scenery.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Nick, it seems this has been noted elsehwere with Orbx...  According to Alex Goff of ORBX (from the above link), the issue stems from P3d unloading objects when > 100 object models are loaded by the sim. His workaround was to split the placement bgl file into 2 smaller files for the newly released Chicago Meigs airport.

Is there anything that can be done with Vashon?

10 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

The topic refers to P3D v2.

This does not occur in P3D v4.

Have you tried renaming your Prepar3D.cfg file and see if the problem is still there with a default version?

Yes Nick, no difference

Hello,

Perhaps I can address your concern:  problems that are not uniformly repeatable are particularly hard to diagnose even if you are the author of the scenery. Typically access to the source files plus knowledge of what was done, how it was done and why it was done that way is required. It’s my understanding that the author of S1 is no longer active so this information is not available.

Nonetheless I have taken some time to try to figure out what’s happening in your case. I cannot reproduce your findings with a clean install via Orbx Central and using the default settings. I have looked at the files and although I can deduce what was done and check it in some cases, reverse engineering the whole thing is beyond me (if it is even possible).

However one thing you can do is post a screenshot of your files as I have done using the default settings. Compare the two.

In watching your video, the possibility of transparencies in front of transparencies comes to mind. This is a common cause of visibility problems based on viewing angle. But since I can’t replicate the problem, I can’t investigate further.  As a freeware developer myself, I hope you will appreciate the difficulties.

vashon.thumb.JPG.1719ca3deb4b2a6fe707860b0073d244.JPG

Hello Howard,

I don’t see anything obviously wrong with the files shown in your clip.

In my negligence I had not looked at your second video. In this case appears to me that the appearance/disappearance of the buildings may be related to the known phenomena of P3D unloading scenery very quickly as it passes out of view of the camera, this for performance reasons. When the camera pans back, the scenery has to load again.  There are some subtleties to this that might possibly explain why the buildings are not immediately visible but that’s a guess.  This is a different issue than the one shown in the first video. In looking at that first one, I see the issue when an external camera is used but not with the cockpit camera, and I see you use Chaseplane.  That’s one more variable and one I know nothing about other than odd problems can occur.  You should check to see if you find the same issue without Chaseplane enabled.

Am I correct in assuming that the problem in the first video has been resolved?

My guess is that any issue or issues that remain are not related to Vashon per se but have something to do with your particular installation.  If there is anyone that can find the solution in that case, it’s Nick!

Hi Larry, hmm, in the second video it shows buldings disappearing while still in view! I think the issue is the same in both scenarios. I must point out though that I have never experienced anything like this anywhere else, at all, except at Vashon.

You don't have Lukla by AS installed do you?  I had the issue you are describing at Walter Sutton's until I moved Lukla entries below ORBX. 

Also similar to this thread

Another thought would be to scan for "default.xml" in any ..\autogen folders.  It is not uncommon for third party sceneries, but, you could do some trial and error temporarily disabling those.

Just a thought in case it may help.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, JPL19 said:

You don't have Lukla by AS installed do you?  I had the issue you are describing at Walter Sutton's until I moved Lukla entries below ORBX. 

Also similar to this thread

Another thought would be to scan for "default.xml" in any ..\autogen folders.  It is not uncommon for third party sceneries, but, you could do some trial and error temporarily disabling those.

Just a thought in case it may help.

Hi Joe, sure, no Lukla. The issue is not that autogen is missing, it's that they disappear when the view is changed. It remains an issue that seems to be going nowhere with a resolution. :(

Hello,

no, sorry.

We cannot resolve a problem that we cannot replicate and most of the valid suggestions have been made already.

You could try P3D in its default state without any software that interferes with your shaders and without any camera addons.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

If I could duplicate the problem I would look into it. This because my great grandfather homesteaded on Vashon in 1902. The home he build with his 5 sons and 3 daughters still stands outside the town of Vashon. My mother grew up there. But if I  can't duplicate the problem, there is nowhere for me to even start.

Cheers,

Archived