Murray Island (YMUI) again -- still not all there!

Mac6737

OK, so I may be a bit obsessive about Murray Island (YMUI), but notwithstanding a prior thread I started now notated as “answered” (see above); perfection eludes me.  Please bear with me.

I am no longer in the “deep hole” as before, but I now have no windsock, no random flights of birds (noddies, I think), no little guys on the tarmac and no parked airplanes.  (I may also be missing rolling surf, but I’m not sure it was there before.)  However, the scenery and textures look great.

In the course of the prior thread, here’s what I did:

Uninstall Au.v.1 and Helgermesh Australia

In Orbx Central, configured all my Aussie airports and ticked the box to enable Au.v.2, and saved the changes.  (Yes, it has been installed all along, and the files verified.)

Then I installed this file, from a link posted by Mr. Eccleston this past May, as per a recommendation on this forum:

ORBX_YMUI_APX_Au v.2.bgl     

I put it in the YMUI scenery folder as instructed.  After all that, I had the windsock and the birds, but still no little guys and no parked planes. 

Leave the well enough alone, you say?  Heck no! 

So then I installed the SECOND of the 2 files from Mr. Eccleston:

ORBX_YMUI_APX_CVX_Au v.2.bgl

(Note: after I extracted this, it somehow shifted from a BGL file to an “OFF” file, but after I installed it, I had one of each in the YMUI scenery file.  Go figure.)

Powered up the sim, went to YMUI: no birds, no windsock, no little guys, no parked planes, no surf!

Willing to settle at this point, I removed the SECOND Eccleston file (the one with “CVX” in the thread), and went back to YMUI:  NO CHANGE!  You’d think I’d at least be back to the birds and windsock, but no.

Here’s a jpeg of my YMUI scenery folder.  There must be something missing, right?  And I note that the files with “windsock” and “people” are XML documents.  Click on them and you get an error message: “No app associated.”

Thanks all in advance,

Mac6737

1993065800_YMUIsceneryfolder.thumb.jpg.9581c195d83ef1d0bbd648cd7f2b169d.jpg

The file you have removed, ORBX_YMUI_APX_CVX_AUv2.bgl is the one that blends the airport runway area with the surrounding terrain. Without that one, the CVX file included in the AUv2 updated YMUI airport will take over and will not be as suitable. It could also exclude some elements of the main YMUI airport. I suspect a glitch in the operation of the Control Panel may have resulted in you having two copies in your install. Return that file making sure the .OFF has been removed.

Apart from that, all looks fine with the rest of your files for YMUI. I just did a check on my install and the birds, windsock, people and static aircraft are all present and working as they should. If your not seeing the windsock, it could be that your ObjectFlow is not working. Can you check the windsocks at a couple of other airports. 

15 hours ago, Graham Eccleston said:

Return that file making sure the .OFF has been removed.

Graham,

Thank you.  I  have no idea how one "removes" an .OFF.  I put the file you name back in the YMUI scenery folder.  The Name of the file has a BGL postscript and is EXACTLY the same as in your post, but the "TYPE" is listed as "OFF," and I can see no way to change that.

A lot of BGL fines in my scenery folders are described as "OFF."  Maybe that's my problem.

Mac 

5 hours ago, Smudger said:

Hello Mac, to remove the OFF extension

Thank you Smudger.  Please look at my jpeg!  There ain't no stinkin' OFF extension!  The Type is listed as "OFF" but the file name is unadorned .bgl.  Your helpful tutorial shows a whole bunch of files with two extensions -- .bgl.off.  I never had those.

And since Graham's last post, I checked my other Aussie airports.  No windsocks, which gets me back to "ObjectFlow," as suggested above.  As my initial post in this thread said, I had the windsock and the birds before I installed the cvx file.  (I don't blame Graham for that; something else happened.  But what.)  

Mac

2 hours ago, Graham Eccleston said:

Or you could select Orbx Australia V2 Installed in the YMUI Control Panel and that will remove the .OFF.

Yes.  But, as my initial post in this thread says, I did that long ago -- well before the recent disappearance of the birds and the windsock. 

Also, please see my reply to Smudger:  I don't have dual file extensions.  They are all just plain bgl, but they are said to be "OFF" files. If there were an additional OFF extension on the file name like in Smudger's picture, I wouldn't have asked the Q.  BTW, I am not a computer adept.  I recognize flightsim BGL files, but I have never before heard of an "off" file.  Is that just a disabling suffix?

I'm 14 hours or so behind you.  Maybe the new day will reveal something.  Thanks again,

Mac

By way of explanation, there is no such file as a .OFF file. It is merely an extension added to a file to disable it. The correct file remains but is disabled or enabled via the addition or removal of the extension .OFF. The Control Panel usually performs this process for you.

Perhaps if we can get your base files in order first and then sort out your ObjectFlow separately.

If you could return the file ORBX_YMUI_APX_CVX_AUv2.bgl without the .OFF extension that would be a good starting point. The file is included below for you to download and copy into your FTXAA_YMUI\Scenery folder.

ORBX_YMUI_APX_CVX_AUv2.BGL

Are you using Orbx Central or FTX Central 3?  

4 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

Thank you Smudger.  Please look at my jpeg!  There ain't no stinkin' OFF extension!  The Type is listed as "OFF" but the file name is unadorned .bgl.  Your helpful tutorial shows a whole bunch of files with two extensions -- .bgl.off.  I never had those.

And since Graham's last post, I checked my other Aussie airports.  No windsocks, which gets me back to "ObjectFlow," as suggested above.  As my initial post in this thread said, I had the windsock and the birds before I installed the cvx file.  (I don't blame Graham for that; something else happened.  But what.)  

Mac

Hello,

I think that you have set your Windows File Explorer to "Hide extensions for known file types".

You have then somehow managed to associate .OFF with a program, thus making it a "known file type" and not visible.

If you go to your Windows File Explorer Folder options and set it like this:

1.jpg

then click on Apply.

Then the advice you are being given by Smudger and Graham will make sense to you,

because you will be seeing what they are seeing.

14 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I think that you have set your Windows File Explorer to "Hide extensions for known file types".

Then the advice you are being given by Smudger and Graham will make sense to you,

because you will be seeing what they are seeing.

Nick,

Ah so! 

Actually, something like that had occurred to me, but I did not know offhand how to fix it, and I also figured it would be beyond stupid for Microsoft to devise a setting such that the user could not ell whether or not the file was enabled.

Thanks.

However, even after deleting all those OFFs, I still can't get everything as it should be.

See separate reply.

Mac

18 hours ago, Graham Eccleston said:

By way of explanation, there is no such file as a .OFF file. It is merely an extension added to a file to disable it. The correct file remains but is disabled or enabled via the addition or removal of the extension .OFF. The Control Panel usually performs this process for you.

Perhaps if we can get your base files in order first and then sort out your ObjectFlow separately.

If you could return the file ORBX_YMUI_APX_CVX_AUv2.bgl without the .OFF extension that would be a good starting point. The file is included below for you to download and copy into your FTXAA_YMUI\Scenery folder.

ORBX_YMUI_APX_CVX_AUv2.BGL 666 B · 2 downloads

Are you using Orbx Central or FTX Central 3?  

Graham,

Thanks again. 

I am using Orbx Central.  (I thought that was required now.)

As you see from my reply to Nick, I did not realize some of those BGLs were disabled.  I have now deleted all of the OFF extensions.  But I am still not there. despite obsessive tinkering..

Earlier today, I was back in the AEC hole BUT had a windsock, BUT no static planes or birds.  So I went back to Configure YMUI and reticked the AUv.2 enabler.  (It seems to turn itself off whenever you alter a scenery file.)  Then I checked the scenery files and saw I had missed 2 OFFs; deleted those extensions.  Back at YMUI, I was out of the AEC hole again, but no windsock!

As for the static planes, that is not an ObjectFlow feature, right?  So either the file containing them is there or it isn't, and I don't see anything in my scenery file (screenshot in prior post) that suggests it includes planes.  I do see a "birds" BGL, but when I saw birds they were flying spontaneously.  I miss them.   

I appreciate your patience.

This is freeware.  Is it possible to delete YMUI altogether and download the thing from scratch?  Maybe some files are missing or corrupted.

Mac6737

Uninstalling and reinstalling may be advisable. Just check that the FTXAA_YMUI folder is completely removed before reinstalling.

Re the static aircraft, there is only one static Cessna parked just off the main airport area about midway down the runway. Any other aircraft at this airstrip is provided by AI traffic.

OK, I have exhausted all options (as far as I know), and will move on.

I deleted FTXAA_YMUI.  Went to ORBX Central and ininstalled YMUI, then reinstalled it.  Configured to enable AUv.2.  Opened up P3D and went to YMUI.  This time, there's a windsock and the AEC is fine.  But still no static Cessna in that space halfway down the runway, no people anywhere, and the birds, if they're resident, have yet to show up. 

The YMUI scenery library is exactly the same as before, and there are still 2 OFF files (as in my screenshot above):

cvx_ORBX_YMUI.BGL.OFF

ORBX_YMUI_APX.BGL.OFF

Before I did the reinstall, I discovered that deleting the OFF extensions on these 2 files doesn't last: the next time you boot up, they revert to their OFF status.  (And my prior post was in error -- I didn't "miss" deleting their OFF extensions first time around, they regenerated themselves.)

The only other datum I can think to share:  I just flew to Darnley Island (YDNI), where there's a windsock that shows wind and a parked airplane, presumably "static."

Thank you all for your efforts. 

Mac6737

Cruzer,

I assume you have P3Dv.4.

I am on Orbx Central.  As I recall, this change was required last time I downloaded something.

I too have 17 files in YMUI scenery.  See attached screenshot.

Do you have the birds and the static Cessna?

Thanks for your interest, but I give up.

Mac

398684106_YMUIScenery2019-09-14.thumb.jpg.275eaa4adb057600bd09c48a69da388d.jpg

1 hour ago, Mac6737 said:

but I give up

Hello Mac,

I have 22 files for YMUI in P3Dv4, but I notice from your screen shot that you are running it from C: - Program Files - Lockheed Martin, mine is on it's own drive K:

In my C: - Program Files - Lockheed Martin is the P3Dv4 SDK.

Have you only got the one drive ?

YMUI 22 files.jpg

P3Dv4 SDK.jpg

Looking at those two file structures, Mac's is correct while Smudger's is not. Smudger, your Control Panel will not work with that file set. Your files have become out of sinc and you now have duplicates which will need to be deleted.

Remove the following five files:-

ORBX_YMUI_PLC_birds.bgl.OFF 

ORBX_YMUI_PLC_grass1.bgl.OFF 

ORBX_YMUI_PLC_grass2.bgl.OFF 

ORBX_YMUI_PLC_people_ObjectFlow.xml.OFF 

ORBX_YMUI_PLC_trees.bgl.OFF

Mac, I see no reason you birds and static aircraft are not being seen. The only other thought is that perhaps your Orbx Libraries may not be up to date however the birds are from one of the P3D default libraries so that should not be an issue.

Good guess Nick but not quite, it has nothing to do with Ozx or any freeware. According to the current edition of the En-route Supplement Australia, Murray Island's correct ICAO code is YMEA (the old being YMUI). This unfortunately means that for anyone who purchases a subscription to FSaerodata will have two entries for Murray Island in their airport list and a spurious grass runway. I have advised FSaerodata.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:10 PM, Graham Eccleston said:

Mac, I see no reason you birds and static aircraft are not being seen. The only other thought is that perhaps your Orbx Libraries may not be up to date however the birds are from one of the P3D default libraries so that should not be an issue.

As it happens, I had looked in my Libraries even before seeing your post.  I "Verified Files" on Object Flow, and it did a bunch of what it called "cleaning up."  Then I got a prompt that Version 1.6.4 of SODE (never heard of it!) was ready to be installed.  So I did that, too, and was very hopeful when I later went back to YMUI.  And yet -- still no birds, no Cessna, no little guys.  (BTW, I have little guys in other airports.)

One weird thing, though: the paved area to the left about halfway down the runway, where I guess the Cessna is supposed to appear, used to have a chain link fence.  Now it doesn't!  Go figure.

23 hours ago, Cruzer.04 said:

Interesting. Just a suggestion but what about temporarily reverting back to FTX central and see if you get your YMUI to where it’s supposed to be? Between your installation and mine that’s the only difference.

Yes Cruzer, I tried that.  CTD!  Every time, before it even opens.  I even went to Darnley I. (YDNI), no problem; took off and headed for YMUI, and CTD about halfway there.

In my earlier thread about YMUI, someone said he had the same problem in FSX, and there's a link to a separate thread on that subject. 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, Cruzer.04 said:

Interesting. Just a suggestion but what about temporarily reverting back to FTX central and see if you get your YMUI to where it’s supposed to be? Between your installation and mine that’s the only difference.

Hey, wait! . . . I went to that earlier thread, and discovered that the fix for FSX worked perfectly for me in FSX.  That is, I took the linked Eccleston file and put in the FSX YMUI scenery file, overwriting the predecessor.  Worked like  a charm.  Static Cessna with little guy working on engine, windsock (but still no birds).

Checked the YMUI scenery folder for both sims, and the difference seems to be that the P3D folder has 2 XML files that the FSX folder doesn't. 

Gives me the heretical thought that if I copied the FSX scenery to overwrite the P3D scenery, I would be golden.

Maybe tomorrow.

The two xml files are there because the P3D version uses objectflow and the FSX version does not.

I don't suppose this could be because your scenery density settings are too low?

And/Or that objectflow is not working in P3D?

I cannot replicate any of your problems at all.

13 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

FSX and P3D files are not compatible.

Doug,

With due respect, isn't that statement too broad?  For instance, in a related thread, Graham Eccleston instructed another user to insert a revised  ORBX_YMUI_APX_AUv.2.BGL into the YMUI scenery folder to stop CTDs in FSX (and it worked!), and he advised me to do the same in P3D (where it apparently did no harm).  Also, I have copied a number of airplanes over from FSX to P3D, and they work fine. Like the Lear.

Mac6737 

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

please go ahead and copy the files.

Do let us know how you get on.

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

please go ahead and copy the files.

Do let us know how you get on.

IT WORKED! :D

In the interests of scientific inquiry, here's what I did;

-- Compared Texture files in Murray I. (YMUI) folders in FSX and P3D.  (They are identical.)

-- Backed up the YMUI Scenery folder in P3D and moved it to the desktop.

-- Copied the YMUI Scenery folder in FSX and pasted it into the YMUI folder in P3D.

-- Copied the 2 XML files from the P3D Scenery folder on the desktop and pasted them into the new YMUI Scenery folder in P3D.

So the AEC is fine, the textures look great, the static Cessna is there with a little guy in a blue jumpsuit working on the engine, and the windsock functions.

I leave it to others more adept than I to figure out why the P3D version didn't work until modified as set forth above.  The file structure appears to be just as it was before.

Oh, but wait . . . still no birds. :(

Mac6737

Thanks.

For the record, it also works for pretty much everyone else if the product is installed into P3D using the P3D files.

I'll mark the topic as resolved and you can go and look for the birds.

Looking at the sea from the land end of the runway, they seem to form at the left and fly across to the right.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Looking at the sea from the land end of the runway, they seem to form at the left and fly acrooss to the right.

Nick,

Thanks for your help on this crucially important matter, as on others. 

Elusive buggers, aren't they?

Mac6737

1710507683_NoddiesatYMUI.jpg.6188b85e92c44a77633ad7622a074db9.jpg

Archived