African highlands

Mickel

So... I took off from one 7,600' airport, flew for 2 hours and landed at another 7,600' airport.  This is going to look gorgeous once it's no longer default LC.

From Addis Ababa to Asmara.

GWacZNx.jpg

FTAn5JB.jpg

bNGDL1j.jpg

B7HDNfW.jpg

cZSHIvh.jpg

4By9V80.jpg

IEZhxQl.jpg

Ys5R96W.jpg

and I'm at 19k'....

Y7OTaQC.jpg

t8n2ud7.jpg

AkhuiVI.jpg

4G5GlDT.jpg

Gmljg9p.jpg

GXMSgLp.jpg

Just over the ridge it drops very quickly to only a couple of hundred feet.  Must be a real steep drop, but I never got that far...

3eVktrl.jpg

k7rjtKl.jpg

cOGD4Vw.jpg

Sorry... got carried away again...

39 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Interesting, but for the life of me I don't understand the attraction of Africa.  Not to denigrate people who have been wanting for years but it seems to me to be mostly desert with some cities here and there like Cairo and Johannesburg.

Hey Jack, Africa is supremely varied...didn't you see the movie "Out of Africa", with it's superb yellow bi-plane?

:)

Lee

Just now, Lee H said:

Hey Jack, Africa is supremely varied...didn't you see the movie "Out of Africa", with it's superb yellow bi-plane?

:)

Lee

Thanks Lee, I'm sure it is.  I never saw that movie as I haven't watched TV or movies in 28 years, never even heard of it actually.

Michel, I made that same flight in a military courier plane many years ago. You caught the sense of it very well. The geography around Asmara is fascinating--especially back when rebels lurked at every roadblock. Thanks for the memories. PS--I agree with you in looking forward to the Africa LC.

Archived