Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fees

NDRustyfan

In Canada there are/were only two I am aware of, one of which is no longer in existence. The now defunct Marriott Visa had no foreign currency transaction fees. In Canada currently there is the Rogers Visa which provides up to 4% cashback with a 2.5% currency transaction fee so you're still 1.5% ahead. Not aware of any others in Canada though they may exist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 4:06 AM, patful said:

You have to get a card that doesn't charge the FTF. I have one that doesn't, one that does. By the way, PayPal would charge to convert the currency from AUD to USD. :)

Can you enlighten us with cards that don't please - Im ok here with ORBx because I know what Im paying in Au Dollars but am sick of getting milked for gst and the currency margins for US$ purchases.

Cheers

Capital One's US cards have no FTF. I'm not sure about other cards or countries. Even when using the card, some merchants will offer to convert the currency to USD for you, don't let them, they'll charge you for it. Pay in whatever currency the seller is asking.

2 hours ago, Dust2Dust said:

which credit cards don't charge foreign transaction fee? I have a mastercard and VISA

Certainly in the UK Nationwide has them but it may require you to have an account, some of which have monthly fees but do include other ‘freebies’ such as travel insurance and car breakdown cover - their web site has a table with details for all cards. Both my credit and debit cards (both Visa) are free of FTF when making purchases and the debit card also free on cash withdrawal abroad.

And their FEX rates aren’t bad either. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 6:06 AM, Dust2Dust said:

which credit cards don't charge foreign transaction fee? I have a mastercard and VISA

Hey Dust,

I use Barclay's MasterCard for which there are no foreign transaction fees. In fact, I just the other day made an Orbx purchase, after which I received from Barclay's their confirmation email indicating that, because I used their card, I avoided foreign transaction fees that might normally have applied had I used a different payment method.

Archived