Seeking new career

After my first Flight and landing at Tamworth NSW  (YSTW) in a Dash C8 Q400 I got  booted OUT as Captain. I wonder why! 

They told me I am  too old for flying . I am now assigned to a Desk job.

Charles 

1510034888_FlatTyre1.thumb.JPG.8b90ffe8838349628fb377e2e90a5677.JPG

1829607553_FlatTyre.JPG.2b642e8865a82f8ba2fdedadb084074c.JPG

18 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

It would always hang on closing, does this happen to you?  

No Jack, not  once .   I have P3d V4  and this seems a pretty stable platform/simulator.  However the Majestic Q400  is a difficult and extremely busy plane to fly. I only  been flying it  for a few weeks now , and it  took a complete new learning curve  to get acquainted  with the dynamics of it . No similarity with  the PMDG 737 .  I  took it step by step  learning the Start, takeoff , Climb, Cruise ,Approach.... But for the landing stage  the plane seems to do  some weird maneuvers and most times  I loose complete control.  I guess  perseverance  is the key to success.

This reminds me, that,  as a passenger I cannot recall having ever had  a smooth landing  in those noisy Dash. 

10 minutes ago, YAMBA1 said:

No Jack, not  once .   I have P3d V4  and this seems a pretty stable platform/simulator.  However the Majestic Q400  is a difficult and extremely busy plane to fly. I only  been flying it  for a few weeks now , and it  took a complete new learning curve  to get acquainted  with the dynamics of it . No similarity with  the PMDG 737 .  I  took it step by step  learning the Start, takeoff , Climb, Cruise ,Approach.... But for the landing stage  the plane seems to do  some weird maneuvers and most times  I loose complete control.  I guess  perseverance  is the key to success.

This reminds me, that,  as a passenger I cannot recall having ever had  a smooth landing  in those noisy Dash. 

I used to fly this plane with a friend in the UK, we'd fly it weekly and it was shared cockpit.  He's an instructor and I'm pretty confident in the cockpits of  complex planes so it was a huge amount of fun.  I loved this plane but 100% of the time when I shut down P3D 4.x it would hang P3D.  So I asked a bunch of other people and they said the same thing, I think you're one of the very few fortunate ones not to have this problem.  It really is an awesome piece of work as every last thing is modeled.  I loved it.

Don’t chop the power until the main’s wheels are firmly on the ground.  It takes some getting used to.  I know I’m not.  Can’t help pulling back the power...  I’ve hardly flown the thing lately, but planning to base myself in Cairns for a few days flying it.  Perfect time of year to be there.

1 hour ago, Mickel said:

Don’t chop the power until the main’s wheels are firmly on the ground.  It takes some getting used to.

Thank you Mickel  for this tip. I read about it but I am  still puzzle how to maintain the calculated V app and V ga  speed  without  reducing power. Sounds like a catch 22 

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I used to fly this plane with a friend in the UK, we'd fly it weekly and it was shared cockpit.  He's an instructor and I'm pretty confident in the cockpits of  complex planes so it was a huge amount of fun.

How lucky  you are Jack having a friend who is an Instructor. The shared cockpit facility of the Majestic  must be the ultimate way  to  learn  how to fly this machine I have to  check on that Forum to see  if I  could meet someone to fly with or  perhaps even as an observer.

Mr Yamba

As Mickel said, you need to keep some power on until the main wheels are on the ground. Don't let the speed decay too much until you are on the ground. As you get used to it, you can then get the hang of slower landings. To begin with, try not to load the Q too heavy and don't use full flap for a while. For what it is worth, I haven't blown tyres since I first purchased the Q, it's not really that difficult to land if you fly it right to the ground. If you try & stall it "on", you will get into trouble.

Send me a PM about shared cockpit time. I've never done that, but it might be interesting.

Cheerrs

Ian

6 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

It would always hang on closing, does this happen to you?

Sorry Jack 

I never noticed it  before . Yes on closing  P3d  flashes  a "not responding". But since P3D always  start again  without a hiccup, I never  took any attention . 

Thanks to bring this bug  to my attention

Charles 

6 hours ago, YAMBA1 said:

How lucky  you are Jack having a friend who is an Instructor. The shared cockpit facility of the Majestic  must be the ultimate way  to  learn  how to fly this machine I have to  check on that Forum to see  if I  could meet someone to fly with or  perhaps even as an observer.

Thanks Charles, I had this plane learned like you wouldn't believe, it was all I flew in the sim for a long time.  My friend teaches 737 pilots and he liked to fly shared so with this plane and its cool ability to fly shared it was a no-brainer, we had a loti of good times flying all around Europe using real routes, liveries, and SIDs and STARs.

4 hours ago, YAMBA1 said:

Sorry Jack 

I never noticed it  before . Yes on closing  P3d  flashes  a "not responding". But since P3D always  start again  without a hiccup, I never  took any attention . 

Thanks to bring this bug  to my attention

Charles 

Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about, it actually corrupted some files.  I brought this to their attention many times but was met with hostile reactions so I binned it.

Hello Gentlemen,

that is a bit odd, I have had the Dash 8 since it came out and have not yet seen the effect on FSX or on P3D v4.

I have the middle "PRO" edition but as I am so bad at flying, I have wear and tear disabled.

In this way, I can sometimes get it back down onto the ground but it needs a very long runway and a lot of

brakes and reverse thrust.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Gentlemen,

that is a bit odd, I have had the Dash 8 since it came out and have not yet seen the effect on FSX or on P3D v4.

I have the middle "PRO" edition but as I am so bad at flying, I have wear and tear disabled.

In this way, I can sometimes get it back down onto the ground but it needs a very long runway and a lot of

You not having problems like I describe is odd Nick as my informal poll and PM's through the years has shown that something like 99% of people have their sims hang on closing.  And like I said, they know about it, more's the pity because I really love this plane.

Yeah, landing this thing can be a challenge, you have no choice but to come in fast.  It's because of those very narrow wings.

I bought the entire video series from Ben when he was making those cool videos, I wish he still was.

3 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I can sometimes get it back down onto the ground but it needs a very long runway and a lot of

This seems to be my story exactly Nick

They don't call it the "Crash 8" for nothing.  Nice pics, and remember, any landing where you can walk away is a good landing.

@YAMBA1

I know you were sort of mucking around, but if you are interested, there are some very helpful and insightful courses from Airline2Sim on the Majestic Dash 8.  I have watched the videos more times than I have flown the aircraft, and they are very enjoyable.

8 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

I have watched the videos more times than I have flown the aircraft, and they are very enjoyable.

Thank you  for the video link. I will have a look. I once told  my children for every hour I fly, I spend 3 to 4 hours on the tarmac

Kept an eye on what I've been doing over the last couple of days in case it helps:

Landing around 28 tonnes

Flaps 15

Vapp 126kts

Didn't reduce the power at all in the flare, raised the nose just a touch to soften the landing

Pulled power levers back to disc once the mains were down.  Don't usually put any reverse on, but that's runway (and 'float', which this shouldn't) dependent.

Gave up using flaps 35 very early on.  Might need them for Lord Howe though.

Mike

1 hour ago, Mickel said:

Kept an eye on what I've been doing over the last couple of days in case it helps:

Landing around 28 tonnes

Flaps 15

Vapp 126kts

Didn't reduce the power at all in the flare, raised the nose just a touch to soften the landing

Pulled power levers back to disc once the mains were down.  Don't usually put any reverse on, but that's runway (and 'float', which this shouldn't) dependent.

Gave up using flaps 35 very early on.  Might need them for Lord Howe though.

Thanks Mickel for the tips . I did a lot of touch and Go without any rte loaded in the  fmc or other settings .Just free flying. I did the landings on Coffs Harbour ( no ils) Most ladings where pretty successful. But still missed a few.  Should the condition lever be at full rotation or 900 rev is sufficient. I just finished the fly  from Coffs to Tamworth and that was successful  I was happy with my landing

On another subject  have you ever flown in shared cockpit?  IW001 Ian  and I are  trying to set one up but we have  to overcome a hurdle of problems

Best regards 

Charles

Hi

I always knock the condition levers back to full forward.  Any time I've been in the back of a Dash 8, them up front have done that, so if it's good enough for them...

I've not tried the shared cockpit on anything.  The limit of my online flying was a couple of Vatsim flights and Flight before the plug got pulled.

Pleased you're getting the hang of it.  I think it's a great plane in the sim.  Can't wait for the -300, which is in the pipeline for 'one day'.

Archived