Orbx for DCS ?

dominique

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

Great find!

And nice to see other DCS pilots around, unfortunately, I currently lack the time to fly DCS much.

Isn't it sweet news :) ? I rediscover DCS these days. Busy learning the L-39 that I loved in FSX & P3D. 

20 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Absolutely no interest (you asked......)

Just curious.

You are not interested because you tried to fly an aircraft in DCS and you didn’t like it or is it a statement of principle, I never tried it so I don’t exactly know  what it is  but I don’t like it anyway.

For instance I am not very fond of XP and I can explain why. I tried it.

Or is it that you love DCS so much you don’t want any of OrbX in it ?

Again friendly curiosity . 

Edited by dominique
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, W2DR said:

ORBX or no ORBX, I have no interest in DCS. Maybe I didn't understand the question..............

I guess this thread intended to address people who are generally interested in both, orbx AND DCS and therefore might perceive the provided link as interesting. So Dominique's "question" probably wasn't exactly "asking" but in the first place a rhethoric to express excitement.^_^

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dominique said:

Isn't it sweet news :) ? I rediscover DCS these days. Busy learning the L-39 that I loved in FSX & P3D. 

My current now and then cockpit if I find the time is (and this might make a frenchman like you especially happy) the Mirage2000.

Of course I'd welcome a collaboration with orbx. Let's just hope this won't cause another unexpected delays for the OpenLCs...:rolleyes::lol:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rongor said:

So Dominique's "question" probably wasn't exactly "asking" but in the first place a rhethoric to express excitement.^_^

Rhetorical, yeah maybe a bit of that but  I am interested to know what you think too, my fellow simmers :P !  And I love a good contradiction when it comes with some explanations for the NOs and the BUTs. This is a forum of discussion after all. But enough of that.

I am not as much excited (too old for that) as I am intrigued.  I am impressed by the the aircraft I've (A10 bought long ago and left to rust on a HD, the two free aircraft and my payware)  but the scenery is limited in scope and quality. To think that OrbX could enter the game is somethingg to look forward too. 

30 minutes ago, Rongor said:

My current now and then cockpit if I find the time is (and this might make a frenchman like you especially happy) the Mirage2000.

Of course I'd welcome a collaboration with orbx. Let's just hope this won't cause another unexpected delays for the OpenLCs...:rolleyes::lol:

M2000 Which one, is it the -5 ? And you do a home cockpit for it  ? Give us some pics !  

OpenLC : I'd rather not comment :lol: !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dominique said:

On the DCS forum

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3944410&postcount=86

Now that is interesting B) ! Can’t wait to know more. You ?

Indeed an interesting thought. Personally, I love DCS and the level of detail of it (both systems and graphics), so it could use some more 'scenery' to give it more variety.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dust2Dust said:

wow that will be fantastic if A2A and ORBX do something (or preferably a lot of things) for DCS, which I'm a huge fan of. I have bought almost all of DCS scenery and aircraft.

Same, here

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rongor said:

I guess this thread intended to address people who are generally interested in both, orbx AND DCS and therefore might perceive the provided link as interesting. So Dominique's "question" probably wasn't exactly "asking" but in the first place a rhethoric to express excitement.^_^

You're probably right. I think the third glass of wine may have clouded my perception of the "question".....:)

• Haha 2

I purchased the heatblur tomcat for dcs world and every single time i fly it, i'm impressed, i learn something new and the flight dynamics wow... you actually feel like you're flying the tomcat. The visuals i think have set a new standard in dcs, it just looks amazing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sky_1 said:

I agree with you, Ridvan

I just don't like anymore the Caucasus map

To be honest, i have the Persian Gulf / NTTR /  and Normandy, as well, but I don't really like them 

The true limitation of DCS is the maps in scope and quality hence....

• Like 4

9 hours ago, W2DR said:

You're probably right. I think the third glass of wine may have clouded my perception of the "question".....:)

I certainly understand people who are not interested by the military dimension of DCS. Fair enough, my friend.

You will find among DCS users a lot of people who are mostly interested by flying the aircraft, not the bombing or straffing etc.  I don't say bombing or straffing are uninteresting because flying the aircaft is more difficul then but the wargame dimension is secondary for them.

We are simmers, aircraft are first on the list of priorities. DCS aircraft I know have superb flying model as far as I can judge after 40 years of simming. 

P3D will stay my sim but if OrbX would develop a huge map à la Socal for DCS, welll...

Edited by dominique
  • Like 5

On 7/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, dominique said:

On the DCS forum

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3944410&postcount=86

Now that is interesting B) ! Can’t wait to know more. You ?

first impressions of DCS:-

absolutely zero flight stutters & wonderful VR experience & immersion - right out of the box...

feels really stable & very well programmed...

a real bonus that you can try it for absolutely $free...

& some official Orbx development/future support news would be most welcome - here's hoping...

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 5:06 PM, Rongor said:

Great find!

And nice to see other DCS pilots around, unfortunately, I currently lack the time to fly DCS much.

Yeah I don't use DCS as much as I would like either.  It is an awesome sim to use with VR, and I have been flying the Hornet a bit over the past few weeks, just a year after I purchased it :rolleyes:.  It is very satisfying learning all the in depth functions of DCS World aircraft.

It is hard for me to choose a favourite DCS aircraft as each time I learn the systems of one that becomes my new favourite :D.

• Like 3

Of course now that we have settled the matter of OrbX doing stuff for DCS  :rolleyes::lol:, we need to help them to pick up a battleground -_-.

I thought of Southern California from China Lake to Miramar because OrbX has already done a lot of wotk there. Elsewhere, Colorado (USAF Academy !) or Utah ?  Outside the US ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sky_1 said:

Western Europe / Some Pacific islands / Falkland / Balcan area / Vietnam - Cambodia.....

and so on....

Viet Nam and Cambodia would get my vote and $$. I spent time i flying rotary wing in Cambodia almost 30 years ago....It was a much different place then than the tourist attraction it is now. Being able to go there in DCS would be....interesting.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, porsche said:

Viet Nam and Cambodia would get my vote and $$. I spent time i flying rotary wing in Cambodia almost 30 years ago....It was a much different place then than the tourist attraction it is now. Being able to go there in DCS would be....interesting.

Dave

2 hours ago, Sky_1 said:

Someone said, it would take years, before we have a ORBX map for DCS world 

I think, if ED and ORBX make a deal, it will take 7-8 months. 

Not years.... 

I'd love Indochina (lived there) with a good Skyraider :) . A Huey would be nice too but I am terrible at driving choppers.

Being  a little old, I'll be less optimistic on the timeline. Should they agree on the principle, they'd have to negociate a commercial agreement. That may take months. Then a new OrbX team would have to be recruited and trained with the DCS SDK. Then the making of a large scenery would take a long time to be done properly. It would be maybe faster if they started from data they already collected for a fat region or an OpenLC (the US or Norway or Germany for Cold War scenarios). In a nutshell,  iIf we get an OrbX DCS battle groud before the end of 2021 we'll be lucky ;). But old boys can dream, can't they ?

Edited by dominique
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

If ORBX did do some work for DCS I would be first in line. As much as I like the former, I often jump over to DCS because the flying experience in my opinion is superb. Glassy smooth with no stutters, well optimized (as of the latest update), and just a pure joy to fly. Apparently they are going to release a new map for free which is very close to release since the latest "Viper" F-16 is pending and most of the  video is from a different map all together.

I would also venture to say the code in DCS is superior to P3D. eg: GPU use is more optimized than any other sim I have flown. Of course, having said this, AI is still a FPS killer like all the rest.

• Like 3

I was a Huey Crew Chief  and TI most of my Army career, to be able to mix ORBX with DCS would be a dream come true; DCS is very limited in terms of flying space. A DCS Combat Simulator coated in ORBX would be fantastic. I do understand some not wanting to deal with the level of learning in DCS for me it keeps my mind alert and feeds my soul. (Good for my brain, what's left of it). One nice thing about DCS is you do not have to deal with painful updates! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cyclone1 said:

One nice thing about DCS is you do not have to deal with painful updates! 

Life is all about choices. Sims are the same ;-) ! 

Almost every time, I open DCS I get a notice of an update ! I've to wait for the download but it is  painless.

WIth P3D, the updates are more complicated but only every six months.

Edited by dominique
  • Like 1

it sure would be interesting if an Orbx representative could give us an inkling of Orbx’s interest for any form of DCS World development...

a yay

a maybe, or

no way

DCS deploys clearly superior technology in many flight sim 2019 performance aspects & is a dream in VR (with Rift S in my initial experience)...

just putting the direct question - any Orbx response?

• Like 2

Yes please as I fly helis and DCS is by far the best simulator for helis  IMHO. I fly real Helis as well and VR has made heli flight possible in ways I never thought could or would happen.

Aerofly is also great but it's a dead world and very limited.

P3D is simply hopeless when it comes to helicopters in general and when you add VR its close to useless .

Xplane has wonderful flight dynamics but I find the world a bit cartoonish and again its not a great outcome for framerates in VR.

Brings me back to DCS, the dynamics are very good though I dont fly a huey ( probably never will) so I cant comment in detail but it certainly handles like I would expect after the R22/44/66  I have flown . The plusses are the combat focus and multiplayer. The Grpahics are oputstanding and the frame rate is as good as Aerofly if not better in VR.  

The only downside is the lack of terrain but then again this is good becuase what they have got is outstanding especially the weather and oceans and landing on a ship is very realistic.

Therefore if ORBX added a few extra terrains say for Washington or California (great areas for training) or Afghanistan or Iraq it would be awesome as we watch people adding missions for these terrains!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

lovin' the DCS helis,

i chose the Huey, the Black Shark & Mi8 - hundreds of hours of study ahead of me...

you cannot fake some serious heli mission flying - & i am probably years away from multiplayer...

the latest Rift S (software & firmware updates) is mind blowing!

If I can make a suggestion just stick to the Huey, it's a very systems accurate representation of an old school turbine helicopter and with the same airframe you can fly utility (supply,  air ambulance,  troop missions or my favorite landing on a frigate in rough seas) or go hardcore with ground attack with rockets or guns . If you want to fast track go get 5 hours of lessons on a real  r22(even an hour is worth it)  and that is worth hundreds of hours of simming and will take you to a level you will never get to by just simming. 

Edited by Mawson
typo

In my lengthy flight sim experience (I don`t post much), the DCS Huey is the best flying helicopter to ever grace the PC. It is one of the reasons why I have DCS installed on my Samsung NVMe drive. It is one of those modules having all the right passion going for it during development.

• Like 2

I’m a big p3d user, however lately I find myself on DCS more than any other sim... the reason being it looks amazing and feels amazing. I’ve purchased the tomcat and f18 and Im lost for words. An Orbx touch would top it off. 

Just one captured directly from in the sim... imagine now the whole dcs world with an ORBX look. Wow. 

673A2889-B8C5-4403-A5AB-FC2B1DD3CAE2.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1