Orbx for DCS ?

dominique

On 8/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, Ezra said:

In my lengthy flight sim experience (I don`t post much), the DCS Huey is the best flying helicopter to ever grace the PC. It is one of the reasons why I have DCS installed on my Samsung NVMe drive. It is one of those modules having all the right passion going for it during development.

100% agree and I fly real helis...

On 8/3/2019 at 2:32 PM, Cyclone1 said:

I was a Huey Crew Chief  and TI most of my Army career, to be able to mix ORBX with DCS would be a dream come true; DCS is very limited in terms of flying space. A DCS Combat Simulator coated in ORBX would be fantastic.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, Mawson said:

I fly real Helis as well and VR has made heli flight possible in ways I never thought could or would happen.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:41 PM, Mawson said:

If you want to fast track go get 5 hours of lessons on a real  r22(even an hour is worth it)

i'm afraid that real world heli experience is out of my reach - capacity, age & $$$s ;)

it is truly wonderful tho', - the DCS flight sim performance - & i am heartened by your experienced comments about the DCS Huey - my first DCS heli - & deliberately took it for another spin this arvo in Rift S VR - amazing!

guess we'll have to wait for any? Orbx potential DCS development news...

On 8/4/2019 at 6:50 PM, craigeaglefire said:

a yay

a maybe, or

no way

Edited by craigeaglefire

This would be absolutely amazing!

The maps are currently the main achilles heal of DCS. It takes them 4 years to complete a tiny area that I can for example compile in no more than 1-2 nights with Ortho4XP. It just makes no sense anymore.

It's just no fun flying from one town to another because you usually exit the map somewhere and i just can't stand flying over the same territory. And while most maps are nicely made, some like Normandy are so broken and incomplete it's just pathetic, considering the amount of time they had to make them.

And btw I fly without firing weapons in DCS,99% of the time. For me it's more a love affair with jet airplanes like the Mig 15 or 29 so I can train to become a pilot in them. Combat and campaign is still very weak in this Digital Combat Simulator. DCS has many things going for it however, like an extremely realistic modeling of flight dynamics and that the individual parts fit together without excessive tinkering. After 20 years of development it's an impressive piece of software, albeit still incomplete.

OrbX UK for example would be simply fantastic in DCS if you just throw in suitable NATO planes like the Tornado or Phantom. There is already the Viggen and F-14 so you can with some good will create maybe the most immersive environment for a 1980 type low flying jet fighter that we have all seen when we were kids.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, craigeaglefire said:

yeah well I think the Nimbus Huey is a real game changer, best release for me ever on Xplane 11. Must buy for heli freaks!

i'm afraid that real world heli experience is out of my reach - capacity, age & $$$s ;)

it is truly wonderful tho', - the DCS flight sim performance - & i am heartened by your experienced comments about the DCS Huey - my first DCS heli - & deliberately took it for another spin this arvo in Rift S VR - amazing!

guess we'll have to wait for any? Orbx potential DCS development news...

hi @Mawson,

you seem to have embedded your comments into a previous quote of mine...

i am having a great time with the new Nimbus UH-1H, particularly in True Earth regions - works really well in VR!

we can only hope for some Orbx treatment for DCS - a dream at the moment...

Edited by craigeaglefire
  • Like 1

I was a real VFR pilot mainly due my colour blindness which stopped me getting a night time License

For the time being - my first/only  choice for G.A. VFR simming  - will always be Orbx and PDR 4.5 - especially since GB TE South came to us - 

and I have flown over every inch of it - comparing it - and navigating with Google Earth.      Brilliant!!!

Eagerly awaiting the Central and North TE's  - and Australia V2 will do me for all my VFR. plodding.

I am able to night fly anywhere and thanks to Orbx - I can catch up on what I missed in real life

My next choice for "Reality" simming - is in fact - the reality of real flight in a war bird  - in contrast to low and slow GA.

I remember the Battle of Britain  - and the Blitz - quite vividly - having lived between Manchester and Liverpool during that time.

Over the years - B of B has been done to death mainly by arcade sims but the NEW "IL2 - Cliffs of Dover - BLITZ " - has a mix of the very best WW2

warbirds. These take a hell of a lot of flying skills because of the accuracy of the aircraft - typical Russian use of detail in appearance and mechanical accuracy

- and the choice of all major types of warbirds during WW2. The scenery  in this sim is just about enough to find your way back to the airfield -

but the water in the channel -is quite real - especially when your opponent flames into it. very cold when one bails out into it.

However - the subject matter is Orbx and DCS. - and I have to admit that I am not impressed by the scenery in DCS - esp. the Normandy which is all I paid for - 

and the Caucases (?) for free - I have no knowledge of - but to comment on the original question - but does it really matter if Orbx was the scenery in DCS

- with most of the warbird flying at 1000s of altitude feet. I find that the flying of these Modern warbirds is very reliant on skill and knowledge of the 

instruments and weaponry @ Mach 1-2 DCS is a warbird pilot's Sim - a meaningful step up from the arcade "Navy Fighters" in the previous decade.

A multi button stick being more essential than the scenery on the ground - 30K feet below

Since The high flying modern warbirds can't only be compared physically to the WW2 birds in "COD Blitz"  - and true to the objects of DCS is to give us accurate

representations to fly around in. Unfortunately I cannot compare the Spitfires - or ME 109s  - in both COD and DC2 due to the vintage models of each

Sooh - I cant see Orbx getting into DCS - but my Australian hope is - that we will find our Orbx  TE scenery in MS2020 - is that IS a different matter! 

@ 85 next Bd  - I hope I will live that long:blink:

I have to agree John.  I have to be honest here and say that the scenery is the last thing I am paying attention too when flying in DCS.  I either have my head buried in my avionics and displays, or I am keeping an eye out for bandits, or threats on the ground.  That is if I'm not busy using BFM to avoid getting hit by enemy fire.  The airports in DCS World are pretty well done, and have plenty of detail where you need it.  Once I am airborne in that sim though, I am not doing any sightseeing.

2 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Just a reminder. I initiated this thread when I read a guy from Eagle Dynamics writing on his forum that they had talks with A2A and OrbX. I was amazed to see a very positive response on the two forums to my posts. 

In DCS, I fly the L-39 which has almost no avionics, is mostly a ground attack aircraft , and cannot go higher than 20k (more or less). So, as many users, I feel that better sceneries would be welcome (I've the Caucasus and the Gulf).  Should I add that flying the aircraft is interesting in itself (besides strafing the vilains ;)) : VFR , IFR landing etc.

I don't have specific figures but I intuitively think that DCS may have a much larger user base than AF2 for which OrbX has a line of products. So it didn't seem absurd that ED and OrbX had talks, knowing that talks are... talks.

• Like 1

Dominique, I have heard a lot of users say that the worst thing about DCS, and the thing they wish would improve, is the scenery, particularly the lack of different locations.  I'm sure there would be a market for scenery development.  Personally though, as I say above, the look of the ground, buildings, trees, has always been of no interest to me in DCS, and in particular the scope of the current areas is more than satisfactory for me.  The look of the airports is another matter, but I think ED has done a good job on these already.  This is just my opinion.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/22/2019 at 10:08 PM, Sky_1 said:

DCS should have more maps,definitely 

And boom, there it is... Orbx making a new map for DCS.  

I found it odd that Orbx is keeping so quiet about it, now that DCS has announced it.  Maybe that is in the works.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:13 AM, Ripcord said:

And boom, there it is... Orbx making a new map for DCS.  

I found it odd that Orbx is keeping so quiet about it, now that DCS has announced it.  Maybe that is in the works.

It would be good to have an acknowledgement from Orbx. Generally ED seem to let the 3rd party devs wave the flag then follow up with a formal announcement in the DCS weekly newsletter.

ED staff have suggested Orbx will have a dedicated board on the official DCS forum when Orbx are ready. That’s what the other Approved DCS 3rd party developers have although some interact with the community much more than others. It’ll be interesting to see if Orbx want to interact with the public via the DCS forums.

The announced map is large by DCS standards. I also wonder how this fits in with EDs announced but shadowy whole world map project, if it does at all…