TrueEarth GB South Performance issues?

Hi

I just purchased TrueEarth GB through Orbx and downloaded through FTX Central. Took a while to install, but once I loaded in I was getting around 5fps, making P3D v4.5 completely unusable. I followed the manual from TrueEarth about graphics settings and I have a capable PC. With Orbx Global and several mods/addons I get 40-50fps most of the time on high graphics. 

Is there a fix I'm missing? Or should I opt for a refund or replacement with something similar like Orbx England which is probably much less resource intensive.

My specs:

Intel i7 6700k 4.4 Ghz (Overclocked) CPU Kingston 32GB Ram MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB GPU

Tried the tips here?

Be sure to go through the entire post, because there are several nuggets besides the first post. Except for an i7-7700K and an NVIDEA 11GB card, my specs aren't that much more than yours and it runs quite acceptably, even over London, with the recommended settings. I moved a couple sliders a notch right after using John's settings, and saved that lot for use over the rest of England, keeping his for London area

I've tried those and it's a little better. I'm only running 1080p resolution but I get around 10fps+ so it's still not great. Perhaps its my AMD card, I know many others have less of an issue through NVIDIA GPUs. I won't be able to change my system much at the moment, considering the standard game still runs fine even with Orbx Global I don't think I need to. It's annoying because I really like the addon.

While historically the MSFS rendering engine favored NVIDEA cards, I understand LM in P3D has improved accommodation for Radeon cards. If so, that could be a factor in what you're getting compared to what I'm getting. Is your 10 fps over London or over everywhere else but London? If it's better and acceptable to you outside London, may I suggest simply enjoying the rest of the country and avoid London. There's so much more to southern England than the big city, and this is where GBTE really shines anyway.

While there are those that say framerate doesn't matter as long as the sim is "smooth" (and which I generally agree with), I can sure see your point that at around 10 fps the sim is hard to enjoy

Unfortunately I get roughly 10-15 everywhere. I even flew in from Ireland and as soon as I was over Wales the fps dropped to 10. I just had to uninstall it as it was taking about 6/7 minutes to load into the sim. Perhaps if I installed it via the .zip instead of FTX Central it could be a little smoother?

I doubt that would change anything. OrbxCentral is the preferred way to get their P3D add-ons on your sim. Downloading the .zip files is more for backup purposes. The .zips just place the same files in the same places as Central.

Let's see if anyone else has some help to offer you.

Unfortunately even after a fresh reinstall and applying all the fixes I could find across multiple threads, my performance is no better. I had lows of 3fps and highs of about 15fps so it's pretty unusable on my system.

Been purchasing quite a lot of OrbX content during this May sale. Wondering what impact EU England FTX has on performance compared to TrueEarth GB South? Should I plump for that and get a refund on GB South because of the problems I'm having?

I guess it would be less performance impacting because the download file is 1/10th of the size.

Just purchased FTX England, and it’s running nice and smooth! Seems to have all the features I need, and doesn’t dip below 20fps except Heathrow (naturally). I will have to ask for a refund for GB South it seems, my PC isn’t quite capable enough for some reason for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

To be honest I'm not anymore. I uninstalled it weeks ago and now just use EU England. When it was first installed I used JV's settings. Then I tweaked using other suggestions in that post. Then I went back to JV's setting again after I'd spent £150 on upping my RAM from 16GB to 32GB. I wasn't even flying over London or anywhere near it. I generally fly out of EGSF. 

At the moment TEGB South is just sitting there like a fat hippo in FTX Central.

I think a lot of problems can be caused by people's rigs just not being up to the job and expecting these new complex
products to still operate fully. My own rig was purchased in 2017 and was quite powerful (then) Wired to Fire X3000 
I use three screens all the time  ( much more enjoyable, I would never go back to one screen )  but frame rates drop to
about 12 fps when in the more complex areas of Orbx Uk South although it still  fly's ok  but starts to blur a bit  after a while
so to improve this I would if I could afford it buy a new rig. until then I will remain satisfied.

My preferred choice is the Manfred Jahn/Jan Visser and team C 47.

It doesn't have much impact on frame rates, despite all its features.

I don't like reducing settings, so I don't often fly near massive conurbations.

The most effective files to remove or disable are the FTX_GBS_3DM files,

but although doing this is good for performance, it does greatly diminish

the quality.

In other words, it is the inevitable trade-off.

Archived