Around Kalgoorlie West Australia P3DV4.4

musterpilot

Nice shots John,

I grew up in Kalgoorlie and my father was an underground miner at the GMK and North Kalgurlie mines. Decades of underground mining with men daily going down in the cages beneath the poppet heads. It was the only way to mine gold until the Super Pit took acquired around 200 mining leases and dug them all out to form the current site. Now, it is a 600 meter deep hole which has subsumed all of the original surface workings of the Golden Mile. A lot of history has gone.

Orbx has depicted it well.

AussieĀ 

2 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

Nice shots John,

I grew up in Kalgoorlie and my father was an underground miner at the GMK and North Kalgurlie mines. Decades of underground mining with men daily going down in the cages beneath the poppet heads. It was the only way to mine gold until the Super Pit took acquired around 200 mining leases and dug them all out to form the current site. Now, it is a 600 meter deep hole which has subsumed all of the original surface workings of the Golden Mile. A lot of history has gone.

Orbx has depicted it well.

AussieĀ 

Yes the day that super pit opened was a sad day for Kalgoorlie all under ground miners lost there jobs

My father worked underground there as well BTW OZX did the super pit

John

Archived