P3D long loading times and "Acronis Active Protection"

I know that there have been some other suffering long p3d loading times... I now have the same after upgrading my OS. But I know this community is great...

Does someone have an idea how to cure this?

• Maybe some p3d files have been hidden somewhere on C:/ which I just have to find and move somehwere else?
  • Or a complete new-install of p3d?

Any hints are appreciated.

Hi John do you have your sim on a Ssd or an ordinary hard drive. Mine is on an ordinary hard drive and before the update it took about 10 mins, but now after the update it now takes 15 minutes. Would I benefit in using simstarter. Derek.

9 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi John do you have your sim on a Ssd or an ordinary hard drive. Mine is on an ordinary hard drive and before the update it took about 10 mins, but now after the update it now takes 15 minutes. Would I benefit in using simstarter. Derek.

I have my P3DV4 on my D: drive which is not a SSD drive . I found this video helpful :

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Win10 uses a new(er) Windows Defender anti-virus/security program.  Honestly, unless you are using your computer in a commercial/business capacity, it is all you need for anti-virus protection (yes, it's that good now).  Run Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner OFFLINE once a weak to "clean up" the rest of your computer (DON'T run any of those 3 real-time...you don't need to and they will just slow things down arguing with Windows Defender).

As a minimum, what you may need to do with your new Win10/Windows Defender install right now is set all new Exclusions in Windows Defender for anything and everything relating to your flight simulator.  If not, Windows Defender is "inspecting" every single flight sim related file you are loading when you start the sim...and when you are using it too.  Choke, choke, choke your flight sim performance.

Windows 10 is not the problem to everything that happens on your computer.  I really wish people outside of the IT community would learn that.  Almost all problems are the end user not having done the proper setup to make everything run at it's best performance.

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Stillwater,

Yep, experienced all that.   Here is my pathway to a fast boot and a fast loading of P3dv4.

Started at Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and FSX.  Of course plagued with the limitations of OOM's  of FSX and all that goes with it, but had good fast boot times to the OS and loading FSX.

Moved to Windows 8.1 x64 Pro. and FSX, everything slowed down, and same problems with FSX.

Tried Windows 10 x64Pro, hated the interface, slow to boot to the OS and FSX took forever to load.

Moved to P3D v3 with Windows 10 and everything got slower.

So, I'm a fiddler, and I have plenty of time to mess around . Here is the best combination I have found that suits my system and I'm happy with it.

I'm now running  Windows 7 x64 Ultimate , my old copy, but boot to UEFI rather than BIOS.  Yes, it can be done, the USB drivers are available and you can get a universal tool from the Gigabyte website to slipstream the drivers into a WIN 7 install USB.  I now use the GPT file system rather than the old MBR, Master Boot Record. Of course you will need a motherboard that supports UEFI, but most modern mortherboards are that way.

Everything now runs at a super speed, from POST to Windows Desk top is 15 seconds, and all my programs load faster, including P3Dv4. It is still compatible with my other hard drives, so no changes there except my dedicated Flight Sim drive, which is now formatted in the GPT file system.

You can start here,  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

And there are plenty of links on the page for further reading.

PS.  BTW, The new USB drivers and drivers for the NVMe style of SSD are included in the Gigabyte tool.  Windows 7 didn't know about these things as they weren't invented when Win 7 came out.

Chris.

Edited by Chris.D

13 hours ago, Chris.D said:

Hi Stillwater,

I'm now running  Windows 7 x64 Ultimate , my old copy,

Chris.

Hi Chris thanks for your comments. I was happily running Win7 until now as well, but decided to switch as the Microsoft support (=updates) for it will end next January. It was still possible to change for free, and all runs well - except my flight sim...

13 hours ago, FalconAF said:

As a minimum, what you may need to do with your new Win10/Windows Defender install right now is set all new Exclusions in Windows Defender for anything and everything relating to your flight simulator.  If not, Windows Defender is "inspecting" every single flight sim related file you are loading when you start the sim...and when you are using it too.  Choke, choke, choke your flight sim performance.

I tried to follow your hints, Falcon, as it sounds logical. Unfortunately my version (win10 Home v1809) does not show any of the options to deactivate the defender (or to define exclusions) that I found in the web (until now): It has the perfect automatism to recognize my antivirus program and therefore allows no access to any defender settings.

I´ll search more... or hope for some good suggestions here.

Hi Stillwater,

Pretty much the bottom line is that Microsoft wants EVERY computer on the planet running Windows 10.

The updates now for Windows 7, 8, 8.1  are all about crippling your system so you have to move to 10.

This is the latest attempt, "Unsupported Hardware" that came with an update last November.

5XkV3Hx.jpg

The pop up above crashes you out of what ever you are doing, back to the desktop and you loose whatever you were doing.

Microsoft have convinced manufacturers to change the architecture of the USB ports on all new Motherboards and the drivers only come embedded in Windows 10. Intel and AMD are in on the act as well, I would suggest have been bought off by Microsoft.

There is a sickness in some 'overseas' corporations that are compelled to control the world population in telling us what we can and cannot do.

Apple do stuff too, slow down your phone to a crawl with the updates, so you have to buy the latest model for $600 / $700 which they manufacture in Asia for $25.

I'm sick of people over seas telling me what to do in MY country.

Chris.

PS,  \Rant off

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stillwater said:

It has the perfect automatism to recognize my antivirus program and therefore allows no access to any defender settings.

Hello,

probably all third party anti virus software disables Windows Defender.

This is normal and Windows does not protest unless Defender is not replaced with an

equivalent program.

You should therefore follow the advice of FalconAF but apply it to your third party

anti virus software.

• Thanks 1

Yes Nick,  Microsoft has decided that my processor, a i7 980 extreme is not now supported and thus I had the pop up. Their suggestion is to move to Windows 10.

There is an article here with a solution that I have applied and my system is back to normal.  But it did cause me a lot of grief.  If you do a Google search for "Unsupported Hardware pop up", you will find plenty.

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

If any one has the same problem, they can go to the above web site and download the patch, it works a treat.

Even if you remove the Windows update, the code resides in you computer and is activated at random.

Also read here, the troops aren't happy.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-annoying-unsupported-hardware-pop-ups/b7f7ed01-c25c-4494-89d8-5df1a6983caa

Microsoft is "Hell bent" on getting users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 onto Windows 10.  I have an old machine here, that is used for audio editing with old software and it runs a mapping program for the GPS on my boat, running Windows XP and they have been reliable for years and get used frequently. There are are no drivers available for any machine for those applications above XP.

Anyway, I have my GTX 1070ti Foundation Edition and a new motherboard, a Z370, processor, i7 8700K, and RAM are on their way. It will be running Windows 7. I have collected enough software, drivers etc., to make it work. The motherboard manufacturers are pulling their support for Win 7 and I was lucky to get mine from the Gigabyte site before they disappeared.

Microsoft, in my opinion, is pushing out malware to get you, no, make you buy something you don't want.

Chris.

ps. Yes, I am upset with them. Been in the middle of replying to an email and the system crashes down without warning, with that Bl**dy pop up, and you loose the lot !

Edited by Chris.D
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks, it does seem to be a new departure.

I read but only an anecdotal post that it is still possible to update to 10 from 7 free of charge?

It is. I just did it. I had W7 Pro and in a moment of 'What can I do now?' I went on Microsoft's website and downloaded the MediaCreationTool. Put it on a USB stick and clicked 'Go'

A few glitches with drivers but relatively painless. And FREE update to W10 Pro

EDIT: It also backs up your W7 install should W10 make you want to puke.

Edited by Ron Attwood

• 1 month later...

Dear mates (and especially @FalconAF, @Chris.D, and - last but surely not least - @Nick Cooper ),

I got the issue solved! It was not the interaction of Windows 10 defender and my antivirus program. It was the "Acronis Active Protection" which came with the backup software I had installed before the change from win 7 to win 10: After deactivating this malware-blocker the loading times of P3D are now back to normal - and I will now return to flying and posting here!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Good day I wish Stillwater, I had a similar problem with my new PC. The time that Prepar3D v.4.4 ran after a 6% break was very long. From 4 to 5 minutes depending on how I installed the scenery. It took 4 minutes and 39 seconds for the entire Orbx and Europa scenery. When I left only Global, Vector and openLC Europa, the time paradoxically increased to 5 minutes 22 seconds. It started to be unhappy when I read your article on the Orbx forum. Because I also use Acronis True Image, I immediately turned off "Acronis Active Protection" in Task Manager. The time after which Prepar3D remained at 6% was reduced to just 23 seconds.

I want to thank you for the perfect idea to disable "Acronis Active Protection" during simulator flying.

I'm now happy old man. Thank you.

Cheers

Karoly

• Like 1

• Nick Cooper changed the title to P3D long loading times and "Acronis Active Protection"
  • Nick Cooper pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Stillwater said:

Dear mates (and especially @FalconAF, @Chris.D, and - last but surely not least - @Nick Cooper ),

I got the issue solved! It was not the interaction of Windows 10 defender and my antivirus program. It was the "Acronis Active Protection" which came with the backup software I had installed before the change from win 7 to win 10: After deactivating this malware-blocker the loading times of P3D are now back to normal - and I will now return to flying and posting here!

Hi @Stillwater & @oldboy43,

I too use Acronis as backup. You can use "Manage permissions list" option to set Acronis Active Protection to allow your software to start.

Kind regards,

Acronis Permissions Management list.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OK. Lots of "stuff" here. This is exactly that you need to do to get around the Active Protection problem with P3D/FSX  without disabling everything:

Right click the Acronis Active Protection icon in the task bar.....Click open settings.....Click on Protection and then click on Settings.....Click on Manage Exclusions.....Add the folders you want excluded. Problem solved............

Doug

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone and a happy new year. I bought the true earth GB package at christmas. And had nothing but trouble. I installed all 3 TE N/M/S but loading time were about an hour to 2 hours. On the TE south it gets to 97% then that's it. Opened task manager and P3d 4 5 was still working ok. Left it running for 2 hours but still stuck at 97%. Have not tried GB middle but I,m not doing a flight there. I use McFee Virus protection so i excluded P3d. Same problem. All other ares work as normal and load in about 2 mins. Any help would be great as I,m trying to do a flight in the south.

Win 10 Pro/i7-8700K clocked 5ghz/32 mb ram/2xITB SSD/ Geoforce 1080ti/ Asus Prime 730a MB.

Edited by Bob Williams
more info

• 3 months later...

My Acronis 2020 Active Protection does not allow folders to be  selected, just executable files. Folders can only be selected for exclusion from ransomware protection.

Putting files and folders in for exclusion does not seem to be of any help whatsoever in slow loading times for Orbx TE GB or NL. These take about 20 minutes to load on my machine, whereas regular Orbx scenery (of which I have a great deal) loads in less than 2 minutes. Prior to installing P3D v4 hotfix 3, I was able to get TE GB loading very quickly and without "blurries" but for some unknown reason I can't get that back, even with a resumption to Hotfix 2. (Incidentally, the same issue occurs in P3D v5).

Win 10 Pro; Intel 9900K 4.8GHz; 64GB DRAM, 2x EVGA 2080Ti. P3D's are installed on 2TB SSD with all Orbx scenery linked to, and Global 2020 mesh on, secondary 4TB SSD.