X-Plane - Linux - UWXP - Orbx TE GB

styckx

Furthering my progressing into moving fully to Linux for X-Plane... The title says it all.. UWXP works flawlessly...

For those who didn't see my previous post

Drives

1. Windows (512GB SSD)- Base X-Plane install w/ symbolic links to scenery on drive 2

2. USB3 (4GB HHD) drive containing all custom scenery

3. Linux install  (512GB SSD) Base X-Plane install - w/ symbolic links to scenery on drive 2

Other Specs

i7 2600k @ 4.2

GTX 1080

32GB DDR3 

Only thing between both installs that isn't on the USB3 is plugins like the one shown here... UWXP...  #2 drive is purely scenery contained on one drive as a HUB between Windows and Linux which currently uses Windows FTXCentral to keep Orbx scenery up to date. All other scenery (not Orbx) is manually updated by me

Linux Mint 19.2 with X-Plane 11.30 RC2

My main purpose of my progression

1. Performance is leaps and bounds better than Windows.. All sliders full except with 4x SSAA and ZERO stuttering panning with the camera on exterior view.. Everything is just smooth.

2. To show the community your complex sim doesn't have to be constrained to just Windows. 

3. It's god darn fun to step outside the box of "what's the norm of flight simming".. 

4. No matter if I'm booted up in Linux or Windows. I can fly a near identical version of X-Plane without needing dual custom scenery installs as they both share the same source

5. I've always had a soft spot for Linux and always kept an install on hand for tinkering.. From compiling Android from source and sending to my phone, to just playing around and learning a new toy.. It scratches my itch to see the underdog do the same as Windows and in a lot of cases better than it..

l2DX8fd.jpg

G0px070.jpg

AYFUatb.jpg

vTuMedn.jpg

Nice set but I cannot find a good reason why XP11 should run better on Linux than on Windows 10 or Mac OS. 

Xplane rendering Engine uses OpenGL which is not a Windows API (like DirectX) so on the same machine it should be running on par except if your Windows is loaded with background applications or tasks that slows it down and your Linux Install is fresh of anything else than XP11.

18 hours ago, styckx said:

Furthering my progressing into moving fully to Linux for X-Plane... The title says it all.. UWXP works flawlessly...

For those who didn't see my previous post

Drives

1. Windows (512GB SSD)- Base X-Plane install w/ symbolic links to scenery on drive 2

2. USB3 (4GB HHD) drive containing all custom scenery

3. Linux install  (512GB SSD) Base X-Plane install - w/ symbolic links to scenery on drive 2

Other Specs

i7 2600k @ 4.2

GTX 1080

32GB DDR3 

Only thing between both installs that isn't on the USB3 is plugins like the one shown here... UWXP...  #2 drive is purely scenery contained on one drive as a HUB between Windows and Linux which currently uses Windows FTXCentral to keep Orbx scenery up to date. All other scenery (not Orbx) is manually updated by me

Linux Mint 19.2 with X-Plane 11.30 RC2

My main purpose of my progression

1. Performance is leaps and bounds better than Windows.. All sliders full except with 4x SSAA and ZERO stuttering panning with the camera on exterior view.. Everything is just smooth.

2. To show the community your complex sim doesn't have to be constrained to just Windows. 

3. It's god darn fun to step outside the box of "what's the norm of flight simming".. 

4. No matter if I'm booted up in Linux or Windows. I can fly a near identical version of X-Plane without needing dual custom scenery installs as they both share the same source

5. I've always had a soft spot for Linux and always kept an install on hand for tinkering.. From compiling Android from source and sending to my phone, to just playing around and learning a new toy.. It scratches my itch to see the underdog do the same as Windows and in a lot of cases better than it..

l2DX8fd.jpg

G0px070.jpg

AYFUatb.jpg

vTuMedn.jpg

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

First these shots are incredible!  And second, I envy your knowledge of OS's, I wish I had that kind of background.

Hi Styckx

Thank you so much for describing what you are doing in the Linux realm. I found it incredibly interesting and a good reason to investigate further. And these are incredible screenshots - I very much enjoyed each one of them.

Not to "highjack" your thread , but just a brief mention that if folks want to investigate Linux further, without taking the "big plunge" a very fun way to learn is to make a small investment and purchase a Raspberry Pi  ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/ ).  The price ranges form about 25$ - 100$ depending on what accessories your purchase (Bluetooth keyboard, power supply etc.)

The Pi runs Debian Linux , whereas yours is Mint Linux, but bottom line is that the roots are the same and like all variants of Linux they all share a common heritage. The pi is a fully 64 bit OS with a 4 core 1.4 ghz processor with 1GB ram , but you can do an incredible amount of stuff with it. To me there is no better way to get your feet wet if you want to learn a bit more about Linux and have fun doing it. 

I have several , one runs a media room file server, one I use for arduino programming for my friend who is building a Xplane home cockpit and the third is what I am typing on at the moment.

Thank you for your contribution to our group understanding and especially for the help you graciously gave me last year when I was caught up in the throws of OrthoXP , before GB TE arrived.

Cheer and all the best for 2019

Renault

2 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Styckx

Thank you so much for describing what you are doing in the Linux realm. I found it incredibly interesting and a good reason to investigate further. And these are incredible screenshots - I very much enjoyed each one of them.

Not to "highjack" your thread , but just a brief mention that if folks want to investigate Linux further, without taking the "big plunge" a very fun way to learn is to make a small investment and purchase a Raspberry Pi  ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/ ).  The price ranges form about 25$ - 100$ depending on what accessories your purchase (Bluetooth keyboard, power supply etc.)

The Pi runs Debian Linux , whereas yours is Mint Linux, but bottom line is that the roots are the same and like all variants of Linux they all share a common heritage. The pi is a fully 64 bit OS with a 4 core 1.4 ghz processor with 1GB ram , but you can do an incredible amount of stuff with it. To me there is no better way to get your feet wet if you want to learn a bit more about Linux and have fun doing it. 

I have several , one runs a media room file server, one I use for arduino programming for my friend who is building a Xplane home cockpit and the third is what I am typing on at the moment.

Thank you for your contribution to our group understanding and especially for the help you graciously gave me last year when I was caught up in the throws of OrthoXP , before GB TE arrived.

Cheer and all the best for 2019

Renault

Great post here.. Linux has a learning curving but a highly rewarding one that gets back to the basics of what owning a computer really is all about..  Learning new things and having fun outside of the walled Windows Garden.

And you're welcome. I'm not around often but I'm glad I helped you through the OrthoXP bumps in the road..  Again, learning curve but highly rewarding once you grasp the concept.  

Actually you don’t need to buy a new hardware to test LInux, I have a machine that has both Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows with a dual boot,  i.e. you select which OS you want to start upon startup after the BIOS sequence. It works the same way between Windows versions (for testing purpose I have another rig that has a dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows 10) or even with Mac OS (I can start my McBook Air with Mac OS or Windows;) )

21 minutes ago, ydelta said:

Actually you don’t need to buy a new hardware to test LInux, I have a machine that has both Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows with a dual boot,  i.e. you select which OS you want to start upon startup after the BIOS sequence. It works the same way between Windows versions (for testing purpose I have another rig that has a dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows 10) or even with Mac OS (I can start my McBook Air with Mac OS or Windows;) )

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) renault was trying to address the newer crowd. Linux can be a scary venture..  Partitioning drives, multiple drives, boot loaders. let alone an entire new language of even the most basic commands like Copy and Rename etc.

Pi is more of a plug and play solution for new comers.. While also being a powerhouse for the more experienced people to use for a multitude of applications. 

1 hour ago, styckx said:

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) renault was trying to address the newer crowd. Linux can be a scary venture..  Partitioning drives, multiple drives, boot loaders. let alone an entire new language of even the most basic commands like Copy and Rename etc.

Pi is more of a plug and play solution for new comers.. While also being a powerhouse for the more experienced people to use for a multitude of applications. 

I thought the idea of this thread was to discuss the benefit of running XP11 on Linux so that's why I mentioned the fact that you don't need to invest a penny (or a cent depending on where you are ;) ) if you want to test it. Ubuntu or Mint distributions are open source and they can be installed on an existing Windows machine seamlessly. I am sure newbies will appreciate that and the rest is pretty straightforward, you just need to install the XP11 package and that's pretty much it you don't need to know all the intricacies of Linux.
Now if the idea is to initiate people to this OS, then I do agree that Pi will be a good starting point but don't expect running XP11 on  Rasberry Pi :rollmyeyes:

Archived