X-Plane - Migrating to Linux - TrueEarth GB

styckx

Decided to migrate over to Linux using Windows as my update HUB until FTXCentral (which will be renamed) is out for Linux..

All scenery is stored on a USB3 External drive using symbolic links for each X-Plane installation to crossover each to read from the same scenery..

Windows keeps Orbx up to date, while my Linux install is symbolically linked to those installations..  

Overall..  Performance on Linux is much better than I expected, better than Windows.. Still have lots to incorporate into my Linux install but I'm linking scenery slowly as to make sure my scenery_packs file is in the correct order without throwing my entire install at it at once..

End result.. Whether in Windows or Linux I can launch X-Plane and fly virtually the same exact simulator without comprising space with duplicate scenery installs.. God I love this sim (and Orbx Scenery)..  You can't ask for more than this.. Cross platform is amazing..

gvzLGsl.jpg

DFJeaPJ.jpg

4 hours ago, styckx said:

Decided to migrate over to Linux using Windows as my update HUB until FTXCentral (which will be renamed) is out for Linux..

Interesting. I went through a Linux phase while I was still in serious nerd mode back in the late '80s/early '90s with the early Red Hat and SuSe releases. Over the years as my nerd impulses receded and I turned into a user I lost the Linux urge (although I still have dozens of VBox images sitting on my hd), but I have to say the thought that my next sim PC when I get eventually upgrade (as I'm bound to one more time at least) will stick me with Windows 10 (which I loathe) fills me with foreboding. I hadn't really considered this but you've got me thinking now, so thank you for posting this.

Oh, and nice shot!

Cool solution!  Hopefully we can give ou the open beta of Central for Linux to play with soon.

Does Linux XP11 support plugins like xVision and UWXP?

I need to install a Linux build to test our Central for Linux - can you advise what build/distro you are using and if you can boot Linux from an external SSD? I assume you need to get XP11 from Laminar direct if you wan to install to Linux? (I am using a Steam license).

Wow! I'm seriously impressed!!! I too went through a Linux nerdy phase (Red Hat, Ubuntu etc.) but gave up after trying to configure fairly basic/common hardware with no luck.

The thought of trying to get my Saitek gear to work in Linux is enough to put me off (it's bad enough in Windows!!). For work, I've been forced to use Win10 - which, unbelievably (for me), I actually like. My P3D sim is still Win7 - but solid as a rock.

I must admit TE GB (gasp!) has made me look long and hard at XP - something I'd never thought about for one minute before. Of course, I'd be delighted to have it right now for Windows - but I'd need a whole new HD to put it on ... and ... one thing leads to another ... it's a completely new system before you know it. If so, why not a Linux box, I wonder?

Adam.

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

Cool solution!  Hopefully we can give ou the open beta of Central for Linux to play with soon.

Does Linux XP11 support plugins like xVision and UWXP?

I need to install a Linux build to test our Central for Linux - can you advise what build/distro you are using and if you can boot Linux from an external SSD? I assume you need to get XP11 from Laminar direct if you wan to install to Linux? (I am using a Steam license).

xVision is Windows only unfortunately. I've even run it under Wine in Linux but it's looking for the X-Plane EXE not the Linux "Executable"..   I bet I can copy and paste the files it modifies on Windows over and replace the ones in Linux.. I haven't tried that yet but will!

I'm currently running Linux Mint 19.1...

You can indeed install and boot Linux from an external (USB) SSD. Just MAKE SURE you install the bootloader on the external drive when doing your Linux install (a manual install Vs point and click automation of the partitions). It will default to your main C:\ leaving you with a GRUB bootloader on your Windows drive.. Which is annoying to return to default Windows bootloader..

Yes.. I got the Linux distro from Laminar directly,  for Steam users you will need to install Steam for Linux and X-Plane will be available there to install for your Linux OS..

Hey Styckx et al. I pushed the power button and waited for the screen to settle. Then I clicked the FSX icon and waited for the program to settle. Then I selected a plane and weather and time and place and waited for them to settle. Tnen I took off and flew around for a while. That exhausted my technical expertise. I only wish I could find something simpler. You guys amaze me!

20 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Styckx et al. I pushed the power button and waited for the screen to settle. Then I clicked the FSX icon and waited for the program to settle. Then I selected a plane and weather and time and place and waited for them to settle. Tnen I took off and flew around for a while. That exhausted my technical expertise. I only wish I could find something simpler. You guys amaze me!

Simming to me co-exists with my nerdism.. "What can I do outside the box to make the sim suit me, instead of me suiting the sim".. Among other things technology wise. It scratches my nerd itch... Even at 41... 

Then there is usually a middle ground.. I found it.. Which I have with X-Plane.  I used to be "What can I do to break the software" beta tester for a few years for a software called "Railworks".. My job..   Break it, find the flaws, express opinions of what sucks, and what is good and what can I do to essentially reverse engineer the software to make it suit MY needs.. 

For the record.. I know Orbx, and especially John have their detractors..  Because John does not sugar coat, has a goal in mind and sticks to it for first the expansion of his company, but also the expansion of the flight simming audience. The two of which can not exist without each other at this point. If not for Orbx venturing into X-Plane.. Orbx made Laminar money by opening their coverage.. Plain and simple.. Prove me wrong..  I would not have given X-Plane a second chance.  X-Plane for me went from a niche hobbiest sim to "Well crap, if John is entertaining their bank accounts over it, there must be something to it, he isn't a stupid man"... Cross platforming is a highly needed, but highly under-demanded technology and I quickly gained the respect of Laminar for sticking to cross platforming before it was even "cool" and for them it's paying off dividends and John not being the stupid man he is saw the time and place to jump into it head first.. 

I'm just here as a nerdy "what makes it tick" end user trying to at the early stages of this budding romance to mesh everything together. 

What I see in the future for what we now know as FTX-Central..

Built in HUB options.. Got multiple installs of X-Plane? Not a problem..  FTX(Orbx) Central will locate all of your X-Plane installs, all your Orbx scenery, and automatically create all needed symbolic links to keep all its scenery at a central location avoiding the dreaded duplicated installs of hundreds of gigs of scenery..

For X-Plane, since it crosses over 3 different platforms, scenery on separate drives should be treated as a physical cloud and let the Orbx software adjust the sim as needed to adopt it..

"Plug and Play Scenery"...    

Edit:  Sorry off topic a bit, but I wanted to expand on what I'm doing in a deeper sense.. I love dual booting yet my X-Plane installs will essentially co-exist with little to no effort involved..  I have my Linux needs and Windows needs and it's nice not having to reboot, or waste hundreds of gigs of duplicate scenery specifically to fly my sim of choice..

2 hours ago, styckx said:

Simming to me co-exists with my nerdism.. "What can I do outside the box to make the sim suit me, instead of me suiting the sim".. Among other things technology wise. It scratches my nerd itch... Even at 41... 

Then there is usually a middle ground.. I found it.. Which I have with X-Plane.  I used to be "What can I do to break the software" beta tester for a few years for a software called "Railworks".. My job..   Break it, find the flaws, express opinions of what sucks, and what is good and what can I do to essentially reverse engineer the software to make it suit MY needs.. 

For the record.. I know Orbx, and especially John have their detractors..  Because John does not sugar coat, has a goal in mind and sticks to it for first the expansion of his company, but also the expansion of the flight simming audience. The two of which can not exist without each other at this point. If not for Orbx venturing into X-Plane.. Orbx made Laminar money by opening their coverage.. Plain and simple.. Prove me wrong..  I would not have given X-Plane a second chance.  X-Plane for me went from a niche hobbiest sim to "Well crap, if John is entertaining their bank accounts over it, there must be something to it, he isn't a stupid man"... Cross platforming is a highly needed, but highly under-demanded technology and I quickly gained the respect of Laminar for sticking to cross platforming before it was even "cool" and for them it's paying off dividends and John not being the stupid man he is saw the time and place to jump into it head first.. 

I'm just here as a nerdy "what makes it tick" end user trying to at the early stages of this budding romance to mesh everything together. 

What I see in the future for what we now know as FTX-Central..

Built in HUB options.. Got multiple installs of X-Plane? Not a problem..  FTX(Orbx) Central will locate all of your X-Plane installs, all your Orbx scenery, and automatically create all needed symbolic links to keep all its scenery at a central location avoiding the dreaded duplicated installs of hundreds of gigs of scenery..

For X-Plane, since it crosses over 3 different platforms, scenery on separate drives should be treated as a physical cloud and let the Orbx software adjust the sim as needed to adopt it..

"Plug and Play Scenery"...    

Edit:  Sorry off topic a bit, but I wanted to expand on what I'm doing in a deeper sense.. I love dual booting yet my X-Plane installs will essentially co-exist with little to no effort involved..  I have my Linux needs and Windows needs and it's nice not having to reboot, or waste hundreds of gigs of duplicate scenery specifically to fly my sim of choice..

Hey styckx. Yours is as good an explanation of a point of view beyond my comprehension as I've ever seen. Your clear writing and focused points helped me glimpse the world of people who know what they are doing in flight simulation. I also appreciated your forecast, all of which is also beyond my comprehension, but I feel smarter for having read it. Thanks!

Archived