Crossing the pathless desert

macca22au

Friends:  Sydney to Perth has an average flight time of 4hrs 55, but most international flights to Europe take longer to traverse Australia.

(nowadays frequently via Singapore or Dubai or its neighbours..Etihad is very popular Or directly to Asia and Japan)  

They cross Aus on a SW to NE diagonal therefore are longer. The return trip can be up to an hour shorter because of the prevailing stratospheric westerlies.

Qantas now flies a direct Perth to London flight in a 789, the first non-stop connection ever.  It is somewhat symbolic however as most passengers come from the main west coast cities....but on the other hand it is an paperless arrival into Perth.

Jack, if we had the Rocky Mountains we would have a much different interior. 

1 minute ago, macca22au said:

Friends:  Sydney to Perth has an average flight time of 4hrs 55, but most international flights to Europe take longer to traverse Australia.

(nowadays frequently via Singapore or Dubai or its neighbours..Etihad is very popular Or directly to Asia and Japan)  

They cross Aus on a SW to NE diagonal therefore are longer. The return trip can be up to an hour shorter because of the prevailing stratospheric westerlies.

Qantas now flies a direct Perth to London flight in a 789, the first non-stop connection ever.  It is somewhat symbolic however as most passengers come from the main west coast cities....but on the other hand it is an paperless arrival into Perth.

Jack, if we had the Rocky Mountains we would have a much different interior. 

Thanks Iain, this is very interesting!

A wonderful pair of images Ian. :)

I am still very excited by looking at hours of desert, setting of on an overseas trip.:lol:

2 hours ago, macca22au said:

The return trip can be up to an hour shorter because of the prevailing stratospheric westerlies.

I told the wife it was quicker flying back from Thailand as we were going downhill!:lol:

Jack: just to support Martyn, 5hrs is the minimum, but westbound to any overseas destination is ++.  One of our closest destinations is Bali which is about 7hrs from Melbourne, though shorter from Sydney and Brisbane.

The Australian continent is about the same size as the contiguous 48 states of the USA.

So that is why I prefer, yes, Business Class in either Emirates via Dubai, Singapore Airlines via Singers, and Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. However the debilitation of age have caught up so now its only to NZ...leaving on Friday by Virgin Aus 737 and yes Old Persons Class to Auckland.  The Scotch will be nice, and my sisters and her family are great folks.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

From Melbourne Jack  almost half of the flight to Bangkok is over Australia, 2000/4500 miles appx:o.

8 hours ago, macca22au said:

Jack: just to support Martyn, 5hrs is the minimum, but westbound to any overseas destination is ++.  One of our closest destinations is Bali which is about 7hrs from Melbourne, though shorter from Sydney and Brisbane.

The Australian continent is about the same size as the contiguous 48 states of the USA.

So that is why I prefer, yes, Business Class in either Emirates via Dubai, Singapore Airlines via Singers, and Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. However the debilitation of age have caught up so now its only to NZ...leaving on Friday by Virgin Aus 737 and yes Old Persons Class to Auckland.  The Scotch will be nice, and my sisters and her family are great folks.

Amazing!  What I wouldn't give to spend a few years exploring this wonderful country.  Kangaroos, great whites, koalas, and all that beautiful coastline.

Jack: I of course exaggerate a little.  The region is not trackless and there are enthusiasts with large 4 wheel drive diesel vehicles towing some very large and modern caravans who travel the landscape extensively during our winter.  Near intolerable in summer. There are oases, fantastic landscapers eroded out of hills by rushing water, old towns, pubs and all the marks of man's use, while the country is cut up into huge lease blocks used for extensive grazing.  However there are a number of significant mines as well, most now huge open-cut mechanised pits.

There are stockmen moving sheep or cattle along the broad publicly owned stock-routes set up in the 19th century, and huge stock truck rigs hauling two or more trailers behind.  

And as an added bonus Australia has the second largest number of feral camels, after the railway took over from the Afghan cameleers, indeed we run to a fine selection of feral pests that have changed the nature of the Outback (as we call it).

PS:  my wife held a pilot's licence, so I can't work than one on her.

Nice shots Ian. Love flying my 787. Been a while though, as you might have seen in one of my other posts, I'm reinstalling all my stuff in a new computer which has been taking up a lot of my time, but I will hopefully back into full time pretty soon.

Don

Thanks Aussieflyer and Neptune.  And yes I regret to say that bush-flies, blow-flies and flies are part of the reality of the Outback.  Protective netting off the rim of your wide-brimmed hat is a cheap environmental way of keeping the beasts at bay, otherwise there are sprays.  However most people travel this country in the winter, and the cold temperatures...and the desert does get cold.....keeps the insects well down in numbers.  But not a place to move around in midsummer.

Archived