Useful tip: How to disable X-Plane roads

John Venema

Hi John.

One of the common criticisms of Xplane autogen is the roads which don't really look part of the landscape and are the wrong colour and with wrong markings for England so it is nice to have this option which improves things.

I'm curious though as to whether OrbX have considered making their own textures for roads and using those instead of Xplane default just as they do with autogen houses etc.

Is this possible, is it something you are considering or is it something for the Xplane devs?

The Great Britain roads seem to be custom to me. They look very different to the default roads and they have a different LOD behaviour. The blue road signs seem to be a bit off but all the rest looks great to me. I really like how the roads fit into the orthophotos, they give a good volumetric impression cutting the landscape and pronouncing the nearby trees. 

y4mnegE0KDU4Xpxm9XF9mDhbRq_KbslFLPRw8j39

On 10/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, FlyAgi said:

The Great Britain roads seem to be custom to me. They look very different to the default roads and they have a different LOD behaviour. The blue road signs seem to be a bit off but all the rest looks great to me. I really like how the roads fit into the orthophotos, they give a good volumetric impression cutting the landscape and pronouncing the nearby trees. 

y4mnegE0KDU4Xpxm9XF9mDhbRq_KbslFLPRw8j39

Yes there are some custom roads Ithink (major roads?) but there is an issue with them as well which is that often the terrain texture "cuts through" which is also seen bottom left of your screenshot, they also seem to flicker here and there as though there is no AA being applied.

As far as I can tell this only applies to major roads and minor roads are still Xplane generated? Could be wrong though.

The blend in with terrain is nice with transparent roads enabled but on non major roads tend to look like grass or dirt tracks so some OrbX autogen roads that completely replace Xplanes would be preferable for me.

Is there a "hack" for manual installers to make the roads transparent? I snooped around in the overlay folder and saw a folder called" roads_t" which may be the transparent ones - selectable if you install via FTX?

Is there a way to tweak this manually?

I'm not sure what's happened but however many times I try I cannot get transparent roads working again, they did until the other day and now despite using the control panel and checking the Radio Button for them, nothing changes. I have checked the overlay_roads folder and there are are two folders, roads_t and roads_x. So far as I can tell my scenery.ini file is in the correct order??

Any ideas anyone

Paul (confused of Evesham :))

scenery_packs.ini

On 10/15/2018 at 10:37 PM, John Venema said:

If you want to see the photoreal roads in X-Plane TrueEarth GB, use this tip:

Am really enjoying TE GB South.  Wouldn't mind trying photorealistic roads but being on a Mac cannot use FTX.  Do we Mac users wait for FTX to become Mac-friendly (which I know you are working on) or is there a manual hack/mod  we can try now?  Cheers.

4 hours ago, rcmarple said:

Frank - the tip in the posted thread above worked for me.

Go to X-Plane > Custom Scenery > Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay > move the existing "roads" folder somewhere safe (or rename it) and rename "roads_t" to "roads".

Looks much better to me now...

Thanks very much.  I did see that but because it was talking about roads_x as well, which I could not see, I was not game to give it a go.  But I will try now.  Cheers.

13 minutes ago, flsm (Frank) said:

Thanks very much.  I did see that but because it was talking about roads_x as well, which I could not see, I was not game to give it a go.  But I will try now.  Cheers.

Works like a charm, thanks.  Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived