P3D v4.3 is simply breathtaking in realism now...

Orbx Flyer

...and one of the reasons is this water/ocean .cfg modification and settings:

[TERRAIN]

WATER_REFLECT_CLOUDS=1
WATER_REFLECT_USERAIRCRAFT=1
WATER_REFLECT_SIMOBJECTS=1
WATER_REFLECT_TERRAIN=1
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=1
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=1
WATER_REFRACT_CLOUDS=0
WATER_REFRACT_USERAIRCRAFT=0
WATER_REFRACT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFRACT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
ENABLE_BATHYMETRY=0
WATER_CLARITY=30
WATER_DETAIL=4
UseGlobalTerrainView=False
[WATER_WATERSURFACE]
IsActive=1
ReflectionCoeff=0.65
RefractionCoeff=0.35
GranularityCoeff=3.00
SpecularBlend=1.50
FresnelAngle=2.30
[WATER_WAVESPEED]
IsActive=1
SpeedRatio=0.70
[WATER_WAVESIZE]
IsActive=1
SizeRatio=2
SmoothRatio=4
[WATER_WATER_SATURATION]
IsActive=1
SaturateRatio=0.85

This is simply fabulous ocean, lake, and river/stream representation.  The best I've ever seen to date within an M.S. based flight simulation! I wanted to share the settings for you to get this as well.  Simply paste what you see in the .cfg file, remember to SAVE and take a flight in the PNW, of which this is near CAC8.  Stir...sip, and enjoy...

Left click once on the pic...then left click once more to bring it up to full rez.  The ocean is not busy at the moment of this early morning cruise, but just you wait and see what these water settings will bring to your use....when the wind kicks up...

Untitled.png

Edited by PNW User
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You're welcome, gents....these settings, when the wind kicks up, is awesome to watch...and better yet...to try to taxi out...take off, or even land.

Those settings will truly give you real world waves and animation!@  Oh, and v4.3 is simply killer with the above...it brings out the best of water animation et all!

PNW

Edited by PNW User

I'll take some shots when over the ocean and wave action is there, because of the real-world weather at the time.  But, for the short term, anybody that puts that code into their v4.3 .cfg file, will be simply WOW'ed by what different ocean effects will they see.   You do need good system resources for this code, or you might be FPS challenged.  Run out of CAC8 , with real weather, or fabricate some wind...and let er rip....beautiful....the rolling actions of the waves, the whitecaps that can be clearly seen, the wind driving the wave line...it's all there, if the conditions are right to generate it.   Have at it!

Edited by PNW User

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

That is absolutely amazing!  Well done, they look superb!

Thanks, I'm just now in this flight...and going to head up the coast.  AS4 is creating the conditions for much better snaps of what that code can give you. Simply amazing...and oh...try LANDING in those 4-5 foot swells!  You practically have to fall out of the sky 3 inches above the wave crests...if not....you become a submarine....and oh...an upside down one...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Very impressive. Can hear the water slapping at the dock. Thanks!

Actually, funny that you mention that...not only that...but the left pontoon under my customized sound envelope, gave rubbing and banging noises to the scene, in the cabin...had to lower the water rudders and get the heck outta Dodge, and fast....so, a frantic start up and taxi as you see here....no pontoon punctures, thank goodness! :)

On 8/18/2018 at 8:42 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Very nice shot and clever to figure all this out.  It must have taken a lot of work, nicely done!

Thanks,  just messin' around, adding this, adding that,...but, I do have the code as you see here, locked down with ten copies of the .cfg file on tap, lol

Hope you enjoy....

PNW

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

What I want to know is how the heck did you figure all this out?  It would take me a million years to learn all this.

Bond, my name...is James Bond...lol

Just had lots of time over my vacation to research, poke and tweak.  It adds killer real life effects to oceans, lakes, and rivers. My viewpoint, anyway. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Oh, another question, I was thinking of doing your mod, where exactly is the config file?  I'd of course make a backup.

You go here:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then open up Prepar3D.cfg and add in my code with all the proper headers. Press save, and you are good to go.  Run AS4 right now, at CAC8, and you will see what these snaps are producing, wave height, wave action and pretty dense fog right now, in the PNW

Just change the Drive letter if that is not also where you will find the rest of the address.

Edited by PNW User
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 8:32 AM, BradB said:

Thanks mate , I don't have 4.3 yet but your settings seemed to visually improve my 4.2 water . :):)

Cheers

John

Most welcome...but honestly, v4.3 is way better in animation, lots of other stuff over 4.2  You are missing out, mate!   These lines in v4.3 are simply killer....if you love water as much as I do...you will probably hang out by oceans, Great Lakes, after adding this code to your .cfg file.  Let me know, if you do...!

PNW

15 minutes ago, PNW User said:

You go here:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then open up Prepar3D.cfg and add in my code with all the proper headers. Press save, and you are good to go.  Run AS4 right now, at CAC8, and you will see what these snaps are producing, wave height, wave action and pretty dense fog right now, in the PNW

Just change the Drive letter if that is not also where you will find the rest of the address.

Thanks but I have P3D 4.2 content and scenery BUT 4.3 Client so does that make a difference?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks but I have P3D 4.2 content and scenery BUT 4.3 Client so does that make a difference?

Nope...if you overwrote your Client with 4.3 Jack then you HAVE literally v4.3. Good to go!   The scenery makes no difference here....the CLIENT does...so just add, save, and fly. Have fun.

Here's a few more before I take off again..  Cheers!  "Looking at these three screen shots, can you feel your stomach...moving up and down?...lol" !  Barf....:)

2018-8-20_18-17-39-753.jpg

2018-8-20_18-18-1-870.jpg

2018-8-20_18-18-21-80.jpg

Edited by PNW User
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PNW User said:

Thank you...and my greatest pleasure, will be in seeing yours and other's ocean shots, Great Lake shots, added to this thread.  Start snappin' Jack!

2018-8-20_18-28-11-989.jpg

Thanks 

might be a little while as we’re getting storms 

typing this on my iPhone 

9 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

One last question 

what do you set water detail to?

You don't...that code if you put it in properly will take care of all settings, automatically as the .cfg is 'sniffed', and will set the sim to what you need.   Set 'n Go....:)

You just look at the code HEADINGS, and place what is within that Heading, pasted to under that Heading in your present .cfg file. If you do not have some of these Headings...then you just paste the whole thing as you see it in my example.  You probably won't have some of them....Then...SAVE...and you are ready to just fire up AS4 and P3D v4.3.  Now, set your flight to for instance, CAC8, at the dock...and get ready to rock 'n roll, literally, lol. If there's wind to whip up those wave crests...is there. Also, change your sim time to 0500 hours, before you log off the sim,  and look at how beautiful the water surface is rendered with more early morning calm.  Just beautiful....v4.3 kicks butt....

Edited by PNW User
  • Thanks 1

PNW, that is a great contribution and discovery. Here's a shot from a flight yesterday into Revelstoke. My aircraft is a freeware Cessna Saloy which ports over easily from FSX into P3D v4.1. Scenery is ORBX, Nvidia 760 GTX and Asus 297A mobo.

Sherm2018-8-20_11-17-26-745.thumb.jpg.80104ab092f7b6053d4a5851ba96c0e8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shermank said:

PNW, that is a great contribution and discovery. Here's a shot from a flight yesterday into Revelstoke. My aircraft is a freeware Cessna Saloy which ports over easily from FSX into P3D v4.1. Scenery is ORBX, Nvidia 760 GTX and Asus 297A mobo.

Sherm2018-8-20_11-17-26-745.thumb.jpg.80104ab092f7b6053d4a5851ba96c0e8.jpg

Looks very nice....very realistic! Love the rolling swells... Enjoy!

PNW

Edited by PNW User
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PNW User said:

You're most welcome...now...how 'bout some screens of your own...over rolling waters! :) 

Here you go:

rky7xJw.png

NHCXTN9.png

Just some 'light chop' at Pender Harbour (CAG8). It made for an interesting landing... 

• Thanks 1

There is a certain sound program that we all had in FSX, that now is available for P3D v4.3, and with the waves you see here rendered from my .cfg mod's, the sounds of the water slapping against the pontoons is once more heard...and the sound...is fantastic.   So...think about that certain sound program, and go for it...between the .cfg mods, and now the sounds of water, moving, at rest...waves against the hull/pontoons....the total immersion is 100 percent, and with the sounds now from within the cabin...right as this picture was snapped...I'm looking around for my flotation cushion...just in case....!!!!!

PNW

2018-8-23_15-59-36-107.jpg

2018-8-23_15-53-30-756.jpg

Edited by PNW User

OMG...with the sounds of the waves slapping the pontoons...and the sound of the water moving past them...I think I'm going to be sick...what a TREMENDOUS difference, there is to your sense of reality, when your brain, is processing real-world sounds, in conjunction with the animation upon the screen....

This ROCKS...in more ways than my hull across the waves, today!

2018-8-23_16-3-23-330.jpg

2018-8-23_16-10-1-502.jpg

Edited by PNW User

Wow...has v4.3 really come to life, now!   I had no idea how good the new sound modules/engine is in V4.x !

As I taxi'ed for take off...the water against the hull, was dynamic...it waned and slapped, as I crested a wave, and then the pontoons rested in the trough...amazing!  Then...as I applied throttle for take off, the pontoon tips lifted as expected and as I planed across the water, the sound of the slaps as I now skimmed the tops of the waves you see here...actually started my brain to look for physical sensation of 'butt inpact' through the seat of my pants.

Then...at lift off...now, in-cabin wind, with the sound of the water falling away from the aft of the pontoons....wow, wow..wow...wow....

This is a MUST HAVE, in P3D v.4...a  MUST have. This is a FYI post...and is just now available.

]

2018-8-23_16-14-24-326.jpg

2018-8-23_16-14-9-547.jpg

2018-8-23_16-15-10-924.jpg

..and don't ask me what the program is...I can state that I have bought  programs, but can not be specific and still follow forum rules....that enhances your P3D v4.3  immersion experience while using ORBX scenery, such as PNW's CAC8.

I tipped you off that there is a program 'out there'...you must do your own due diligence thereon after...!

If you ignore this 'tip off'...woes to you...for you are SO missing out on what makes P3D v4.x such a killer sim....and the sound in stereo...within my Kodiak in this present flight...was so badly missing, when having migrated from FSX Steam, to P3D v4.3. So badly missing, because water and environmental sound effects within and outside the cabin is so important to my sim experience. So important!.....AND...I now have it all...baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Hallelujah!

2018-8-23_16-36-8-583.jpg

2018-8-23_16-41-6-434.jpg

2018-8-23_16-43-31-484.jpg

Later....

Edited by PNW User

Great sequence of shots there @PNW User.

The correct sensation that you're experiencing with that program has added another dimension to simming for me. I was flying with just one of that developer's aircraft because of the built-in level of realism, but I am now able to pull a few more stock / lite aircraft out of the virtual hangar and achieve a similar effect.

I never really spent much time flying low and slow until I picked-up P3Dv4 and ORBX's region products + a few aerodrome sceneries. I'm so glad I went beyond just FTX Global and heavy metal, I now spend probably just under 50% of my time in GA aircraft thanks to the detail (less imagining and more seeing in the sim) that the ORBX artists incorporate in their products.

It's safe to say that you appear to be delighted with the new combo!

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

Great sequence of shots there @PNW User.

The correct sensation that you're experiencing with that program has added another dimension to simming for me. I was flying with just one of that developer's aircraft because of the built-in level of realism, but I am now able to pull a few more stock / lite aircraft out of the virtual hangar and achieve a similar effect.

I never really spent much time flying low and slow until I picked-up P3Dv4 and ORBX's region products + a few aerodrome sceneries. I'm so glad I went beyond just FTX Global and heavy metal, I now spend probably just under 50% of my time in GA aircraft thanks to the detail (less imagining and more seeing in the sim) that the ORBX artists incorporate in their products.

It's safe to say that you appear to be delighted with the new combo!

I had 'that' program in FSX, but the effect is much more realistic for whatever reason, within P3D v4.3.  I'm glad that I have the added effects for water, land and air-borne back into the sim 'mix.'  Everybody was waiting for a long time...for this development. :)