Kokoda trail Landing strips

YAMBA1

If you ever wonder where are those tiny lovely villages hidden in the valleys of the Owen Stanley Ranges of Papua New Guinea . I found  that, some are pretty difficult to find . Landing on them  is challenging since  we do not have  a bearing  or an altitude. the runway at Timkenumo is so steep that after landing the plane just glide of with breaks  full on  into the nearby bush !  Kagi and Launumu  are seating on top of a cliff , so beware. 

Kagi Atlitude 424295 ft  Rwy  best to come in at bearing 240. Seating on top of cliff 

Runway  very bumpy  and slight slope Cliff  on  one side 

1732859732_KagiTerminal.thumb.jpg.4a19a97b31664ad4299281a889935abb.jpg

Bodimuno: Altitude  3897 ft  Rwy Bearing 210/30 (fault in scenery Grass floating in the air  near the  building)   Flat  Runway

Latitude S 9 degree 61,41 "

Longitude E 147 degree 40,06'

Manapi: Atitude 2656Ft  Rwy bearing 30/210 Rwy is  flat , hills trees  and  mountains on either side 

Latitude  S 9 Degree 11,57"

Longitude E 147 Degree 37,45' 

I followed the valley  and come in in an angle  to avoid excessive air speed  on landing 

145232395_ManapiApproach.thumb.jpg.8b87beb4135a1c2026bbbd0e5572c62b.jpg :

Approach to Manapi 

1595730527_ManapiCamp.thumb.jpg.be8d1c922f8d3fd352aaac20ca5b6d36.jpg

Manapi Camping  ground  ( I like the guy on his bicycle , on the Kokoda trail I don't think so !) But great graphics 

468398285_ManapiTerminal.thumb.jpg.066058d8c3f72f5d82da0ef7cfe78a00.jpg

Terminal  Manapi

Launumu: Altitude 5082 ft This is the only one towards  North , that seats on the right of the Kokoda Trail . My suggestion is  best to  come in  from the east as the  west side is  extremely bumpy.

1801634438_LaunumuTerminal.thumb.jpg.00a3c9b4e0b05d5a8d4ef0e7d405510a.jpg

Terminal Launumu

At Last  bu not least , Tinkenumo: Altitude 4776 Ft  Rwy 240/60

Extremely  steep . Come in at 240 you will need to push  speed  on landing but my plane did  not hold  on the  landing strip  once stopped . 

Latitude  S 9 degree 7,29"

Longitude E 147 38,89'

999984744_SlopeTimkennmo.thumb.jpg.39926f9167cff08b304c8468a748d04a.jpg

In the ditch , It just slide off the grass !!! No hope to maintain some dignity 

Happy flying

Charles 

1 hour ago, Matt McGee said:

Attached is a list of the Kokoda airport locations, the Tapini airport locations, and also a Google Earth KMZ file showing all of them as well.

Tapini airports.docx

Kokoda track and airstrips.docx

ORBX_PNG_airport_package_map_V1.0.kmz

Thank you so much Matt  This is great  your help is much appreciated 

Thanks for this. I thought the whole point of the Papa New Guinea stuff was to find the strips on our own. I think that was the intent(Adventure). We did a group flight yesterday there and it wasn't pretty I crashed or over shot some of the strips twice and some of them took three try's to get it right. Great Stuff I hope they do some more like this.  

Terribly sorry gents.  I have completely forgotten how to enter the .kmz files into GE, I've entered them before for other

area's but the grey matter has failed me badly. I apologize

Jim/NZ

1 minute ago, JimNZ said:

Terribly sorry gents.  I have completely forgotten how to enter the .kmz files into GE, I've entered them before for other

Jim/NZ

You have to  go  back and  study the  Jim Irving  file :)

3 hours ago, YAMBA1 said:

You have to  go  back and  study the  Jim Irving  file

Thanks, but I have absolutely no idea about what the Jim Irving file is !!!!!

3 hours ago, JimNZ said:

Jim, what I did is to just double clic on the kmz file and it opens itself within GE.  This is on a Mac where the GE app had been installed.

Jean-Jacques

Freebird, I agree with you.  I really enjoy having to find cockies or other small airports/airstrips.

Jean-Jacques, thank you for the help.  It worked a peach, thanks.

Jim......JimNZ

20 minutes ago, JimNZ said:

Freebird, I agree with you.  I really enjoy having to find cockies or other small airports/airstrips.

Jim agree with you and Freebird as well . At the time  when I searched  for those airstrips I was  using  active sky  which added much to  the challenge, as clouds  were low  which reduced  the  visibility  . So some bearing would have  helped .  Jim if you like to search for  things, there is an airport/ airstrip in PNG  which  has an highway that runs through the tarmac! Let me now  when you find it. 

Regards 

Charles 

1 hour ago, peregrine said:

What aircraft are people using?

I am in FSX  so I used a Cessna C172SP Skyhawk, a Piper , Maule or Mooney , but taken that  you are flying high altitude  preferably something  a  Grand Caravan or Beechcraft Baron  would  be more appropriated, but perhaps not  on all air strips  To negotiate  some of those airstrips flexibility of maneuvering  is the essence 

Archived