Screenshot suggestion - GPS Data

Fizzelle

May I make a suggestion to all you "screen-shotters" out there?

For example "Screenshot over Yosemite"..etc. I'd love to visit some of the areas snapped by the intrepid screen-shotters so I wonder if it is possible to post the GPS data as to the location from where the screenshot was taken, and the direction (ie North, South and so on).

It's frustrating trying to work out where in the world an unfamiliar area is and by including these data it would help me and, no doubt, others to discover more of the ORBX world for future purchase.

Is there any mileage in this suggestion, d'yer think?

I feel your pain, Fizz! I think this has been suggested a couple of times in the past. I find many of the screenshotters here pretty well do that: the info is often either in the subject line or in the description.

The problem with using actual SLEW (or GPS) information, is that people often crop or resize their pics. Worse still, if using heavy jpeg compression (or DSR mode), the text becomes almost illegible - so it can be quite a fiddle to preserve that info.

One of the great things about the screenshot forum in particular is the pure *number* of shots posted - which often prompt lively discussion. You really don't want to discourage people from posting (and we're all inherently lazy!!) or the whole thing can just die on you. I've seen it happen on other forums: people drift away, leaving just the old regulars.

Adam.

I must agree with Adam. I like posting screenshots, but if the process keeps getting more complex, than I will start to post less and less. Simple matter of time. It already takes a good 30-45 minutes to put a short screenshot series together on here, and my series are typically not as complex as some of the others. Other times I just randomly take shots while I am flying, so I have no idea where they were taken even when I decide to post them. However, anyone can ask me in my screenshot post where they were taken and I will do the best I can to help them out.

Yes, it's a bit of a challenge. Great idea in theory, but probably not always a reasonable expectation. As Adam said, we want people to post here to keep the forum interesting and lively. So the process needs to be as simple as possible.

For some of my flights I do try to add a narrative to describe location and POIs. But sometimes I just go on a random flight, see a nice shot and press the V key a few times.

Good idea though ;):)

Archived