In the Caspian Sea

andy1252

A couple of pieces of Russian exotica. First is a Beriev BE-200. A current, in use, flying boat / fire fighter. Regular kind of aircraft, ceiling up to around 30,000ft

nSR0Kcs.jpg

PzvyqnB.jpg

Ij5LCVk.jpg

This next guy is your actual Ekranoplan, an A-90 Orlenok.  Meant to fly just a few feet off the surface using ground effect, but actually capable of getting up to around 3000 feet if need be.

RW08SVA.jpg

3Yan9YP.jpg

EMDTt4M.jpg

An absolute pig to try and keep stable - 175kph at 15 feet does not make for a relaxed flight.

I had an idea what was coming when I saw the Caspian Sea in the title.:)

Beautiful freeware isn't it!

The Ekranoplan is fun to fly as well but I couldn't get mine more that 150 ft off the sea, guess I should have read the manuel.:huh:

I read your intro and thought just how changing one letter in a word can make a totally different meaning. Rs and Xs.>:D:huh::o:lol:

2 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Interesting toys Andy, nice shots too!

Cheers Dolf. I keep thinking I've got everything settled down and maybe now I can do some real exploring in the sim, and then I get distracted by another bit of scenery or an aircraft I'd not seen before. No self control, that's my trouble!

46 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I had an idea what was coming when I saw the Caspian Sea in the title.:)

Beautiful freeware isn't it!

The Ekranoplan is fun to fly as well but I couldn't get mine more that 150 ft off the sea, guess I should have read the manuel.:huh:

I read your intro and thought just how changing one letter in a word can make a totally different meaning. Rs and Xs.>:D:huh::o:lol:

I thought this would grab you, Martyn! I was thinking of marking it for you in the title anyway <grin>. When I get a mo I'll go looking for more Ekranoplans - maybe your actual Caspian Sea Monster is out there somewhere. Oh, and as for your last comment - I don't think they'll let me post any of that here.

32 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

A couple of aircraft we do not see very often, nice shots.

Thanks John, and no, not exactly popular beasties, these!

Great exotic birds, here, thanks for reminding us of these inventions.

50 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I read your intro and thought just how changing one letter in a word can make a totally different meaning. >:D

Often we get this trouble with automatic spelling correction in these modern communication toys. :D

5 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Often we get this trouble with automatic spelling correction in these modern communication toys. :D

So maybe he meant what I was thinking.:huh:

I will go back for a closer look then,  although I do much prefer the Orient.:lol:

Just now, VH-KDK said:

although I do much prefer the Orient

Are we wandering into Max Miller territory now? <grin>

9 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Great exotic birds, here, thanks for reminding us of these inventions

Cheers Gerold. I've also recently gotten a copy of the "firefighter x" package so hopefully I'll be able to try the BE-200 with that sometime soon (if I can stop installing aircraft and repaints for long enough)

Archived