Guadalcanal to Port Moresby

Tailspin45

We discussed flying up "The Slot", over "Iron Bottom Sound", to Rabaul because of all the WW2 history. But the consensus was to press on to Papua New Guinea (PNG). And so we did.

After takeoff from famous Henderson Field, home of the Cactus Air Force (P-400 Aircobras and P-38 Lightnings), we were treated to a vision of what the area might have looked like during the war with a hospital ship and troop ships offshore.

9VsOWQ6.jpg

And there was evidence of the battles fought and lives lost on the island.

OrLBWrK.jpg

255º would take us to the south tip of PNG, where we could fly up the south side of the Owen Stanley mountain range. Mt Victoria goes up to over 13,000 and we didn't want to bump into it in the dark or in bad weather.

We took off at 1400, and some haze was the only weather factor.

eDjoFt8.jpg

We droned along for over five hours before someone yelled, "Land Ho," and sure 'nuff there it was. DR really is amazingly reliable even over more than 500 miles (assuming you have accurate wind forecasts).

H4nnDxU.jpg

We made landfall about 40 minutes later

KKvoRz5.jpg

With evidence that the widely scatter thunderstorm forecast was indeed accurate, too.

ER0I2ou.jpg

But all we encountered was some benign mid-level cumulus and stratus. We held our course until we were sure we were offshore before starting down. It was getting dark and didn't want to letdown into some cumulo granitus

NOiOd9R.jpg

tCgznTJ.jpg

We picked up the Port Moresby NDB, followed it in to a visual to 31L, and rolled out past a cargo C-130

9putVXJ.jpg

Packed up quickly last night, so I came back out this morning to make sure we hadn't overlooked anything. Found we were blocking a cargo ramp and moved over near the old control tower.

I know I'm really going to like PNG if AYPY is any indication.

rufBOkN.jpg

Check this CB out! Very obvious which way the high-level winds were blowing!

The water in that sucker weighs, more or less, a billion pounds. The water in a typical fluffy fair weather cumulous cloud weight about 500 tons, believe it or not.

WhvpGJQ.jpg

Exactly. Luckily clouds are less dense than the air below them, so they float.

My mind just played a funny animation of a landscape scene where the air density is suddenly turned off and all the moisture in the air and clouds suddenly falls. Spa-lash!

But then my weird mind also loves to envision a snowfall that happens in seconds instead of hours. Thump!

Archived