ETSE Erding AB for Paulb

VH-KDK

Well done Martyn! :) Thank you very much for doing this post.  One can see the HAS etc that Orbx have included.

It looks quiet there, but that may be correct as I think that the base has been relegated to reserve status.

It was used by the USAFE, Both the F-86D and the F-102 operated from there.

From 2002-2013, the base was home to a maintenance regiment of the German Air Force.

84881027.a06sWltX.BerlinJul06025.jpg

45 minutes ago, paulb said:

Well done Martyn! :) Thank you very much for doing this post.  One can see the HAS etc that Orbx have included.

It looks quiet there, but that may be correct as I think that the base has been relegated to reserve status.

It was used by the USAFE, Both the F-86D and the F-102 operated from there.

From 2002-2013, the base was home to a maintenance regiment of the German Air Force.

84881027.a06sWltX.BerlinJul06025.jpg

That's ok Paul, they have done a great job.:)

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Martyn!  I used to work in those same exact shelters in the UK.  Seems whoever built them built them in many countries as they're all the same.

Mildenhall? Lakenheath? Alconbury? Bentwaters? I know Jack, if you told me then you would have to shoot me! LOL! :lol: 

The sad things is that I visited those bases many times, but now - understandably I guess because of terrorism - they are all closed to the 'public'. 

Sometimes things don't change for the better.

14 minutes ago, paulb said:

Mildenhall? Lakenheath? Alconbury? Bentwaters? I know Jack, if you told me then you would have to shoot me! LOL! :lol: 

The sad things is that I visited those bases many times, but now - understandably I guess because of terrorism - they are all closed to the 'public'. 

RAF Upper Heyford, and our sister base RAF Lakenheath.

Sadly Heyford is a wreck and ruin.  There’s a lot of web pages devoted to it.

Last I looked I saw a satellite photo of about fifty billion cars parked on all the runways and taxiways.  So sad, so many good memories and the British people were so kind and wonderful.

That’s my heritage too, Scotland.

If I could I’d move there permanently 

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Last I looked I saw a satellite photo of about fifty billion cars parked on all the runways and taxiways.  So sad, so many good memories and the British people were so kind and wonderful.

Sounds like you were an F-111 kinda guy?  ;)

2 minutes ago, paulb said:

Sounds like you were an F-111 kinda guy?  ;)

Yup, I worked them for 8 years.  Autopilot/Instruments, terrain following radar and flight controls.

Learned a lot and man do I miss it.

I got out because they put them all in the desert at Davis Monthan.

9 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Yup, I worked them for 8 years.  Autopilot/Instruments, terrain following radar and flight controls.

Learned a lot and man do I miss it.

I got out because they put them all in the desert at Davis Monthan.

I think that they might have sold a few to Martyn :D. I remember seeing an RAAF one.

1 minute ago, paulb said:

I think that they might have sold a few to Martyn :D. I remember seeing an RAAF one.

I think the RAAF was the last to fly them, not sure.

Here in Georgia, about two hours south of is an awesome Air Force museum.  It’s maintained by the USAF.

Several years ago I went there and was astonished to see F-111 tail number 055!

I worked that very plane for three years but sadly it was a mess.  It was slated for overhaul.  I need to go back sometime and see if it’s been reworked 

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I worked that very plane for three years but sadly it was a mess.  It was slated for overhaul.  I need to go back sometime and see if it’s been reworked 

Now that is a cool story Jack.

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Martyn!  I used to work in those same exact shelters in the UK.  Seems whoever built them built them in many countries as they're all the same.

Thanks Jack, I don't know but maybe they are an ORBX standard shelter.^_^

15 hours ago, paulb said:

Some smaller civilian airports in Australia are hard to even take photos now Paul. Also here someone with a camera around their neck is almost regarded to be as obnoxious as a smoker:angry:. No problems with the mobile in your pocket though.  I could not get onto the airbase where I was next to in Thailand to play basketball, as no foreigners are allowed into military establishments anymore. I also wanted to visit the Thai Navy's Turtle Conservation Centre at Sattahip but after reading conflicting stories about some being denied access for various reasons I decided to give it a miss.

You are right about some things not changing for the better.

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

A lot of bases have gone now, good for the developers and the like though. They are trying to shut Essendon in Melbourne so they can build more houses. Who cares that the air ambulances will have to land further away from the major hospitals. The suits don't care about us in the bush, unless there is a buck to be made of course.

Most of the English are a friendly lot Jack and a lot of them still have long memories.;)

13 hours ago, paulb said:

Dead right Paul, I have 3 in my back garden! I would have brought more but I can't get the wings folded on the ones I have to make more room.:wacko:

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

041BfNx.jpg

Great to see the pics Jack. Gosh, she is in need of some TLC.

55th TFS, 20th TFW I believe. I have quite a few pics of UH and LN F-111s. I must dig them out sometime.

Thanks for posting these pics Jack ;):)

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I think the RAAF was the last to fly them, not sure.

Here in Georgia, about two hours south of is an awesome Air Force museum.  It’s maintained by the USAF.

The last RAAF ones retired in 2010. Only one complete F-111 is preserved here at Point Cook. I can remember seeing on the local news when it was taken by road to Point Cook down the nearby Hume Highway.

If ever they need anything dome to 055 Jack they will know who to call.:)

7 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Great captures and timeline for this series.  Wish we had more decent air bases to fly out of.

Thanks Sammy. Must be hard with the security situation to get any info about any military installation.

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Great to see the pics Jack. Gosh, she is in need of some TLC.

55th TFS, 20th TFW I believe. I have quite a few pics of UH and LN F-111s. I must dig them out sometime.

Thanks for posting these pics Jack ;):)

Thanks Paul, this was tail number 055 for the 55th TFW.  When I saw it like this I was horrified.  I hope to go back to Macon in the next week for another visit.  It's been seven years!

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent set of photos Jack. Interesting close ups especially of the u/c, what a piece of engineering it is too.

:lol:  Thanks Martyn!  We used to hide out here on the gear trunnion during exercises. See that red door that's kid of slanting down?  That's the gear door and also the speedbrake.

One time at night the switch in the throttle was malfunctioning and the plane landed with the door fully down, I mean straight down.  You should have seen the sparks!  It wore that metal door down to the height of the runway, tore up the runway and caused quite a stir!  Oh, I long for those good old days!

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Jack, I don't know but maybe they are an ORBX standard shelter.^_^

Could be, but wherever I went in real life they all looked the same.  Inside and out.  Quite study, designed to withstand a 500 pound dropped directly on top as the rounded roof would just deflect it away.  They were great places to work out of the weather.

A lot of bases have gone now, good for the developers and the like though. They are trying to shut Essendon in Melbourne so they can build more houses. Who cares that the air ambulances will have to land further away from the major hospitals. The suits don't care about us in the bush, unless there is a buck to be made of course.

Most of the English are a friendly lot Jack and a lot of them still have long memories.;)

It's a shame, good thing Orbx keeps them in the sim, I like that.  Yeah, I miss the British people.  The nicest people I have ever met.

The last RAAF ones retired in 2010. Only one complete F-111 is preserved here at Point Cook. I can remember seeing on the local news when it was taken by road to Point Cook down the nearby Hume Highway.

If ever they need anything dome to 055 Jack they will know who to call.:)

I can still quote pins and voltages of these aircraft.  I remember the "tech order" numbers, wiring diagrams, it's all in my head even after all these years.  Gosh do I miss it.  I'd LOVE to see some static F-111's in my Orbx travels.

Jack along with many others on here, have got so many great stories to tell of their experiences in the aviation sector.:)

I could go on for hours but this ain't fb.  So I'll keep it to a minimum.  Actually writing a book about it.  I've kept a detailed journal all my life.

41 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Paul, this was tail number 055 for the 55th TFW.  When I saw it like this I was horrified.  I hope to go back to Macon in the next week for another visit.  It's been seven years!

I found this Jack, might be of interest?

42 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That's it!  That's the place and they did it!  I'm going to try to drive down there tomorrow!  It looks beautiful, they did a perfect job Paul! Man, thanks a LOT for this!  I worked this very jet for three years.  I'm speechless! :wub:

There you go Jack! She looks really beautiful now and will be well cared for within the Museum. ;):)

Jack, at my last command, when I was still stationed in Hawaii, my desk was about 10 feet from a retired USAF F-111 pilot. I used to ask him questions all the time about that, and of course he had some good stories. I myself am about a year from retiring from the military, and I have known for the last ten years that I would miss it once that day comes. Now, a year out, it's getting very close. 28 years as a Light Infantryman has gone by faster than I ever thought possible. I am sure that I will be just like you, Jack, and be missing all those things like you miss, 30 years from now.

2 hours ago, paulb said:

There you go Jack! She looks really beautiful now and will be well cared for within the Museum. ;):)

The wife and I are driving there tomorrow morning.  110 miles south and I can't wait!  I'm gonna take a zillion pictures!

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Jack, at my last command, when I was still stationed in Hawaii, my desk was about 10 feet from a retired USAF F-111 pilot. I used to ask him questions all the time about that, and of course he had some good stories. I myself am about a year from retiring from the military, and I have known for the last ten years that I would miss it once that day comes. Now, a year out, it's getting very close. 28 years as a Light Infantryman has gone by faster than I ever thought possible. I am sure that I will be just like you, Jack, and be missing all those things like you miss, 30 years from now.

Landon, that's wicked cool!  I'll bet I might have even knew him.  First, I want to say thank you for serving this great country of ours.  I served 8 but 28 is amazing.

And yes, when you're out you'll wish you were back in and miss the life and good and bad times believe it or not.

Best to you my friend!

Archived