The passing of Monarch

VH-KDK

I agree Martyn, it is a shame and is sad for everyone affected.

I too can remember flying on one of their One-Elevens in the seventies.

I think that they started out with some Britannias, but I (in hindsight) was never fortunate enough to have flown on one of those.

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

After Alitalia and Air Berlin, this is the third now this year. And with the price wars between low-cost carriers I think it will not be the last one.

Combination of price wars as well as a lot of the Mediterranean countries and places like Egypt have become lower demand due to increases in terrorist threats and security, also a lower British Pound doesn't help either.

People are choosing different vacations these days and I can tell you New Zealand has hit highest records for tourists ever, this is because we are so very very safe that our cops don't even carry guns. 

2 hours ago, Bassman said:

New Zealand cops even give you a lift home if you are drunk rather than complicate matters by taking you back to the cells to dry out. Also better than having to clean the cells!!!!

This is true, I had a friend staying with us from California, her first week in Wellington she got drunk in the city and when she started walking home the cops stopped her, she got defensive being used to the local US Sheriff's in the States and what they are like, but our cops told her to calm down because they just wanted to give her a drive home so they could be sure she got home safe. She never seen anything like that and she was so grateful about it...Also this happened in 2011 and she still lives in New Zealand even though she was only supposed to be here for one year. We are the worlds country club so once your in, your in.

14 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

People are choosing different vacations these days and I can tell you New Zealand has hit highest records for tourists ever, this is because we are so very very safe that our cops don't even carry guns. 

Tasmanian visitor numbers have soared in the last couple of years as well.

We have in recent years had anything between 15 and 20 cruise ship visits to Burnie over the summer. This year we will have 32 ship visits and in one week in February 6 ships over the week with two days having two ships in port on the same day - unheard of in my time here.

We cam here for a visit in 2005 and moved here permanently the next year. Wouldn't live anywhere else (although Iceland is somewhat attractive but just a bit too far from grandchildren)

8 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

she got defensive being used to the local US Sheriff's in the States and what they are like

Matthew, I have always respected your posts and opinions on here, and I know you have stated you have lived in the USA before, but do you not think this comment is a bit generalized? I mean, in my 47 years of existence I have never had any problems with local sheriffs, or law enforcement at any level. I can say the same for many other countries I have visited. I don't want to make this conversation go down a bad road, but I just wanted to point this out. Like I said, I have always respected your posts and opinions on here.

Archived