Should I make the move? (I7 2600K OC at 4.4hghz)

Benny

Hey guys, so who did upgrade their CPU lately  to let's say an I5 or I7 7700k?

There is also some good deal locally on use one like the 4000 series?

And are you happy?

Many thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

I've just finished upgrading my cpu from an Intel 4th gen to an i7 7700k  on a new Gigabyte mobo.   I'm very pleased; P3D and in particular v4 works so much better.  To me it's not just the cpu but the newer features of the MB.  For example my previous MB limited the performance of my Evo 960 NvME to half of what it is capable. And the new MB used much faster memory, lots of little things too.

My system had been working very well with not only 4 sims but all sorts of development software and a complete re-install of all of this made me question the need for an upgrade.  However if one is willing to buy a new Win 10 license, simply swapping out the MB, CPU and memory is very easy. Windows 10 handles all the needed drivers; I have not needed to install any of the software that came with the MB.

After I breadboarded the new system, I plugged in an old backup HDD to be sure that a Win 10 reinstall would not be necessary.  So when I made the final switch using the Evo 960, I knew it was going to work.

5 minutes ago, Larry_R said:

However if one is willing to buy a new Win 10 license, simply swapping out the MB, CPU and memory is very easy. Windows 10 handles all the needed drivers; I have not needed to install any of the software that came with the MB.

Say Again???? 

I'm on a frech installation on a paid Win 10 License... Are you telling me that I can swap the MB/CPU with not a new install.

Many thanks Larry

Ben

I have an i7 920 o/c at 4GHz, 6MB RAM (9 years old!) and a new 1070 video card - most of the time I am ecstatic (lots of ORBx and FSDT)  so I doubt you will have problems with your setup.  P3D4 is the most dramatic improvement in FS over my 25 years of simming.

Nigel

Vancouver

To be honest, for now I'm not really on V4, but mostly on AF2 and I don't need anything more powerful (for now) with AF2.

I guess I'm spoiled by AF2 performance so I mean seeing 25-30 FPS in V4 is close to normal, but I don't have any big ORBX airport installed yet. 

I had a good deal on a I5 7600K, this is why I was asking.

Thanks guys, Ben 

23 hours ago, Benny said:

Are you telling me that I can swap the MB/CPU with not a new install.

Yes, this can be done. I was told I could avoid having to buy a new license by reinstalling Windows. Windows 8.1 for which I have the key in my case with a need to then upgrade to Windows 10. But my purpose was to do an in-place MB/CPU upgrade so I did not have to reinstall not only all my sims but a lot of development software.  If you only use the system for one or two simulators, reinstalling windows after the rebuild might be the best option.

9 hours ago, Bassman said:

Hi Benny,  using an I7 2600K @ 4.4ghz   I have the same CPU and at 4.5ghz I was overheating and had to install liquid cooling. How are your core temps?

Dan

Hi, pretty normal with Water cool also, I never had any heating problem.

Would you share your setting of your OC?

All I did was increase the clock from standard 35x up to 45x thru the BIOS without changes to any voltage settings etc. If there were any other settings I would share them but there just isn't any.  A novices way of doing things. :P

Cheers  Dan

On 8/26/2017 at 0:08 PM, nigelgrant said:

...P3D4 is the most dramatic improvement in FS over my 25 years of simming.

Nigel

Vancouver

How so? I've been simming since MSFS 2.0 and to me the description of "most dramatic improvement" would have been best applied to FS95.

FS95, geez that takes me back. I was reunited with FS with FS95 (previously used Bruce Atwicks version on my Apple II+ and Amiga. I remember those days well, moving through FS2000, FS2002 (which had a performance improvement and great visuals) then onto FS9 and now FSX. The one thing that was common throughout these upgrades was the constant catch up with hardware that could effectively run FS to our liking. The recent departure from further upgrades has seem brilliant performance as hardware has surpassed the software. Now our problem, with all the great add ons provided by vendors like Orbx are again taxing our computers. I recently upgraded to a i7 6700 and GTX 1060 this combination is running FSX superbly. With the advent of 64bit sims like P3dV4 and. Xplane11, we can expect better use of our computer resources instead of the previous CPU bottleneck. The FS future is looking rosie. 

Regards, Paul

I don't have a clue about X-Plane, but the CPU bottleneck is still there in P3D. Even though P3Dv4 is 64-bit it's still, basically, just FSX by another name. The latest v4 solves the OOM problem but all the single-thread issues are still there. Sometimes I long for the adventurous days of FS98 and Voodoo2 cards (where are you now Bob Cardone)..........Doug

The 2600k is one of the best CPUs that Intel ever made, in my opinion.  For me it still sees a ton of gaming use in a secondary computer that has SLI GTX 970's, and I'm usually not CPU bound.

For flightsim, I upgraded to a i7-6700k @4.6ghz a bit over a year ago, and there's a noticeable difference with P3D.  I went from probably 24fps stable to >30fps stable, but locked at 30fps, in a lot of situations.  It helps a lot, but it's less of a change than you'd expect from 4 years of CPU or however old that thing was.

-stefan

Archived