FTX openLC Asia and region specific scenery?

maunakea

I was wondering why this has shifted, it was suppose to be next, but it seems now South America will be next. Why is Asia lacking in attention when it comes to flight simming, there are a lot of flight simmers in this region as well, not just USA and Europe. When will we start to see more stuff from orbx for this region? I would love to see full fat regions specifically for SE Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Phillippines), as well as Korea and Japan as well. I know orbx does excellent work and I hope to see more developers take some time to give Asia a bit of attention too in terms of scenery and airports.

I would love to see an orbx version of Hong Kong. I know FlyTampa has one, buth I think orbx can bring this area to a whole different level.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:04 PM, maunakea said:

I was wondering why this has shifted, it was suppose to be next, but it seems now South America will be next. Why is Asia lacking in attention when it comes to flight simming, there are a lot of flight simmers in this region as well, not just USA and Europe. When will we start to see more stuff from orbx for this region? I would love to see full fat regions specifically for SE Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Phillippines), as well as Korea and Japan as well. I know orbx does excellent work and I hope to see more developers take some time to give Asia a bit of attention too in terms of scenery and airports.

I would love to see an orbx version of Hong Kong. I know FlyTampa has one, buth I think orbx can bring this area to a whole different level.

It's not "now" that it has shifted. They already stated this last year in the roadmap:

Still, I'd like an update about Open LC South America, since sure, P3D v4 updates are probably,taking up a lot of time *now*, but when the above was witten  it said it was almost in beta and out "sometime in the new year".... I understand delays, of course, but half a year and no update sucks (meaning at least say: hey, this got put in the back burner, it will be out end of year, or whatever). 

I'm not sure how anyone arrives at which area is important enough to do "next". I agree there's so much potential in Asia. There's so much in South and Central America and the Caribbean too. Orbx have just scratched the surface in Europe and, yes, I still wonder why the western 2/3 of Australia is somewhat neglected. To be honest I'm happy to let it all take it's course, and relish each release as it come.

4 minutes ago, johnfromoz said:

To be honest I'm happy to let it all take it's course, and relish each release as it come.

John, I agree in earnest and think that is the best approach. Someone will always be waiting on their favorite region to be done by Orbx, but it's best to let the development take it's course as you suggest. In the meantime, there is an absolute treasure trove of wonderful Orbx scenery to indulge in and explore for many, many months if not years.

7 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

I'm not sure how anyone arrives at which area is important enough to do "next". I agree there's so much potential in Asia. There's so much in South and Central America and the Caribbean too. Orbx have just scratched the surface in Europe and, yes, I still wonder why the western 2/3 of Australia is somewhat neglected. To be honest I'm happy to let it all take it's course, and relish each release as it come.

How is Australia neglected? You have it as a region, don"t you..?

I didn't say Australia, I said "western 2/3".
The eastern states are so weighed down with Orbx airport sceneries, if it wasn't  sim, the country would tip over! South Australia and NT only have two, WA has two.

The UK - a smaller area than most Australian states - has five regions, plus numerous full-fat airports; North America, about the same size as Oz, has six regions and cover is not yet complete, and has many full fat airports. Imagine if all the west coast states of the US only had two detailed airports! That's about how flying my part of the FS world feels. I do have a pack for YPAD but, though good, it's not Orbx.

That is the issue; not regions, but detailed local centres. I am not complaining too much because I like all the Orbx sceneries, and there are still parts of the world (South America, Asia) waiting their turns. There are threads elsewhere putting the pros and cons - Orbx began in Australia, many overseas simmers like flying Australia, all that. I am confident that whatever Orbx makes, will find a market - possibly even an entire new audience (I can see that for the as yet untouched regions).
I'll wait for the wheel to turn. Somewhere, someday, something might turn up.

2 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

I didn't say Australia, I said "western 2/3".
The eastern states are so weighed down with Orbx airport sceneries, if it wasn't  sim, the country would tip over! South Australia and NT only have two, WA has two.

Perhaps this is because most of the population live in the East. Its unfair to complain about the UK as there are 60+ million living there compared to 21 for an area many many times larger. Ultimately its about how many customers are available to buy. OrbX have been so successful by combining outstanding quality and practical business practices. We were lucky our great land was the first OrbX ever did even though it was initially in 4 separate regions. Economics must take a high priority for OrbX to thrive

3 hours ago, jalbrech said:

I am not going to complain ...  but I must admit :  I WANT THE WORLD!  Thanks Orbx!

Jay

'Orbis non suffict'- 'the world is not enough'.The motto of King Philip II of Spain.HIjacked by the Bond Film.So,perhaps,Orbx might like to adopt it as a corporate tag!

3 hours ago, robespierre said:

'Orbis non suffict'- 'the world is not enough'.

After a few years when OrbX has worked out a way to bring astounding products so quickly onto the market that they run out of new ideas before the next sim release, they can model Mars & the moon. Of course with the moon you are not technically flying but crater sight seeing would be a new tourist attraction. Since the cost of getting to the moon is not going to be affordable to the average person for a few decades then there should be a great market for moon simming. OrbX can have a new line of items under OrbM. Now does "M" stand for Mars or the Moon? I am sure this would be an easy issue for JV to decide.

21 hours ago, Anthin Delahunt said:

North America is not about the same size as Oz.

Mea culpa, I thought USA but wrote North America, which are more comparable than Oz and UK. I will stand by the comparison of having just two detailed sceneries in all the west coast regions as a fair comparison.

I referred to other threads in which contributors commented that people outside Australia enjoy flying it in FSX, so population isn't the only factor. I don't live in Europe, the UK or USA but I love flying them because of Orbx's work there.

To get back to the topic, I suspect there's a little truth in "build, and they will come". I don't know how many Asian customers Orbx has right now, but I'd bet they'd appear when they can buy their own regions and sceneries. Incidentally, I'd buy them too.

There we go, two entirely different market groups, the locals and the foreigners! ;)

I agree completely with you."Build it and they will come"

Exactly! I would certainly buy Asia.Some of the most incredible scenery

is found there.

Sorry johnfromoz if my post about size was seen to be

a bit abrupt.It was not meant to be.

Anthin...Currently living in OZ.

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 6:16 AM, jalbrech said:

I am not going to complain ...  but I must admit :  I WANT THE WORLD!  Thanks Orbx!

Jay

Exactly! I want the whole world in openLC.

Asia is very ugly to fly over atm. And it's true that customers come to fly in a certain region as soon as you build it.

23 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Exactly! I want the whole world in openLC.

I think many of us here would like the whole world from OrbX ... and yesterday, not tomorrow sometime!

But after the world LC is done then more regions perhaps

Or some of that new tech which will cause all the 64bit sims to really shine

Of course all those simmers on whatever 32bit sims will have to move up as 32bit sims simply won't cut it

This is why Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft was talking about 32bit dinosaurs

Archived