Somehow, it just doesn't feel right to...

Triplane

14 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

Well on avsim someone posted his experience how he tried to push it to the limit. He managed to run out of VRAM and this lead to an OOM just like in the past. So you can if you want to. ;)

That would be me... B) :ph34r:

I wanted to see how far I could push my own system. Was interesting

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511709-i-managed-to-oom-v4/

Reading up on the  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=  subject, I notice that a setting of 9 is probably the best setting for those who have 8GB cards. There seems to be no problem. Obviously each setting increase, i.e. 8-9-10 doubles up with each increase so that as stated, you would need at least a Titan, 1080Ti with the 12GB VRAM to run at 10. I have a 1070 with 8GB and recently tried 9 and I am having no problems.....yet ! If I do encounter any in very detailed areas of scenery I will revert to 8.

1 minute ago, jjaycee1 said:

Reading up on the  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=  subject, I notice that a setting of 9 is probably the best setting for those who have 8GB cards. There seems to be no problem. Obviously each setting increase, i.e. 8-9-10 doubles up with each increase so that as stated, you would need at least a Titan, 1080Ti with the 12GB VRAM to run at 10. I have a 1070 with 8GB and recently tried 9 and I am having no problems.....yet ! If I do encounter any in very detailed areas of scenery I will revert to 8.

Correct - more than EXP=9 requires a 10 or 12GB card.

19 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

I notice that a setting of 9 is probably the best setting for those who have 8GB cards

17 minutes ago, 77west said:

more than EXP=9 requires a 10 or 12GB card.

Hi folks, I just went through the same sort of processes and found some (sort of) interesting stuff. It seems that the EXP=9 is no different from EXP=8, and you can possibly get away with the EXP=10 on a more moderate system and still be flyable. My results were in here - http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/136397-texture_size-ram-vs-vram-and-ooms/

It certainly made me rethink at least one of my previous 'articles of faith' about my setup.

29 minutes ago, 77west said:

Correct - more than EXP=9 requires a 10 or 12GB card.

I use  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 with the GTX 1080 8GB and I did not have a problem the only problem the loading time is too long.

13 minutes ago, 77west said:

What are your autogen sliders at, in terms of draw distance? 

Scenery complexity EXT DENSE

Autogen draw distance VERY HIGHT

Vegetation EXR DENSE

BUILDING EXTR DENSE

3 hours ago, 77west said:

That would be me... B) :ph34r:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511709-i-managed-to-oom-v4/

Did you have a paging file enabled? You shouldn't really get an OOM message just because you run out of physical RAM. It's just address space, doesn't matter whether it's in RAM or on disk (except disk would be orders of magnitude slower, even with a fast SSD).

5 minutes ago, JimmiG said:

Did you have a paging file enabled? You shouldn't really get an OOM message just because you run out of physical RAM. It's just address space, doesn't matter whether it's in RAM or on disk (except disk would be orders of magnitude slower, even with a fast SSD).

No. If you read the linked article, I run with no paging file. (I have been in IT for more than 10 years and so fully understand how it works, just my choice)

So I believe the OOM was literally, an out-of-RAM error. Unlike the old VAS-related OOM, which many people did not understand - the old "but I have 32GB!!!" complaint...

I am going to be upgrading to 32GB temporarily and probably going with 64GB on my next rig with the upcoming i9 CPU range (although I may still go with a higher-clocked i7 rather than an actual i9)

23 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

Well on avsim someone posted his experience how he tried to push it to the limit. He managed to run out of VRAM and this lead to an OOM just like in the past. So you can if you want to. ;)

Exactly what Nick pointed out a few days ago. V4 isn't necessarily a silver bullet cure to OOMs, but it can certainly help.

On 06/06/2017 at 11:25 AM, 77west said:

I am going to be upgrading to 32GB temporarily and probably going with 64GB on my next rig with the upcoming i9 CPU range (although I may still go with a higher-clocked i7 rather than an actual i9)

Wow I just read this week the top i9 is $2000 just for the processor

I will stick with my i7 for a while yet to come. I might jump up to 64Gb but I would have to buy all new RAM as all my slots are filled

the 7900X of the i9 series will work for you, 10/20 core is overkill but $999 is way better money spent than that $2k Monster their offering. :)

I'd also wait to see what water cooling solutions will be offered for the i9 too. 

On 06/06/2017 at 7:37 AM, 77west said:

I admire your willingness to experiment, keep it up

You might discover something well worthwhile

2 hours ago, 77west said:

Thank you. I enjoy it, almost as much as the flying !

Almost, not more than?

I find playing with settings & keeping up to date here etc can eat a huge amount of time from my flight sim time allowance

Archived