LOWI: CTD when entering LOC DME East approach

Danny1968

Hello,

This is on FSX-SE:

I have a CTD when entering the LOC DME East approach. More particularly it happens when established on the localizer and when intercepring the glideslope. I played this scenario twice with the same result. Plane used was the PMDG NGX.

I already have checked whether there was some duplicate AFCAD: there wasn't.

This is the Windows event log entry:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003ccc3
Faulting process id: 0x2b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2aaf29da135a1
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\terrain.dll
Report Id: 80d620f2-af7b-4a89-ab29-3d270beb756c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

OS is Windows 10.

GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti with latest driver (378.92)

Regards,

Danny Lindewegen

Transaction ID: 58df6f944c5e0

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Danny, 

Could you please run the same scenario with two different tweaks and report your findings: 

1. Try the same LOC DME East approach with another aircraft, and see if you get the same result

2. Go to your ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\Scenery folder, and temporarily disable Westsim_Innsbruck_APX.bgl. Try the same LOC DME East approach with the NGX and see if you still get a crash (ignore the visual anomalies). 

If you could also take note of the location where you normally get the CTD, that would be great too. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hello Jarrad,

I tried the approach with the  FSLabs A320: CTD.

After that I tried it with file Westsim_Innsbruck_APX.bgl disabled: CTD.

To be sure I also tried the approach with the entire ORBX scenery disabled: No CTD happened, so it definitely seems to be related to the ORBX scenery.

The coordinates of the CTD are: N47 20.32 E011 48.90

I forgot to mention I am running FSX in DX10 preview mode (with Steve's DX10 Fixer).

Please let me know if you need more information.

6 hours ago, Danny1968 said:

The coordinates of the CTD are: N47 20.32 E011 48.90

Great, thanks Danny, that's very useful. 

Next component to isolate: 

Try temporarily removing Westsim_LOWI_GP_LOJT.bgl and see if that solves it. 

Let me know, if not we'll have to start isolating bgl/xml files en-masse to narrow it down. 

Cheers

Thanks guys, and thanks Danny for isolating the problem file. To be honest I'm quite stumped about this - we didn't find it during testing, and I have never heard of a simple file type such as a photoreal bgl causing a CTD before. I'll compile an alternate for you guys to try out over the next few days, but in the mean time if any of you wish to help isolating the issue further, please report back any findings in this thread: 

1. Do you get the CTD during any season, and night, or only during summer? There are five seasons for the bgl file in question: Jan-Feb (HW), March & Nov-Dec (WI), Apr-May (SP), Jun-Aug (SU) and Sep-Oct (FA). 

2. Do you get the CTD when flying the same approach in less-complex aircraft? Ie is there something in common with each of the reported aircraft such as a high-end ground display/ground proximity radar etc that may be a possible clue? 

Cheers,

Jarrad

I also had a CTD on the LOC DME East approach for Rw26 yesterday (actually it was an unrecoverable freeze of P3D). It was right on the LOC/GS around 14nm out.

Here some specs:

P3D 3.4 (most recent update)

Majestic Dash 8Q400 (terrain display visible)

real date/weather (april (SP)) - Active Sky 2016

I did not have the time to try the approach again and won't be able to test new files etc until the next weekend. I still wanted you to know, so you get a better picture.

Please tell me if you need more infromation.

Thanks and kind regards,

chris

In my case it was also freeze of P3D v3.4 - about 16-18 nm to the airport (after catching LOC and starting descent)

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pro version

There were active both terrain display and weather radar.

I'm also using Fs2Crew + ASN + acars + Vpilot

Current date - approach during dusk.

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback, that's terrific. 

First new version of the file to test: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2HwV5ShzMWUTEyWGoxOHFUUkU/view?usp=sharing (filesize=147MB)

Instructions: 

1. Go to your ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\Scenery folder

2. Rename Westsim_Innsbruck_PR_C_1m_East.bgl to Westsim_Innsbruck_PR_C_1m_East.bgl.ORIGINAL

3. Download the replacement file from the above link, drop the unzipped bgl of the same name into your ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\Scenery folder

4. Run your flight again to see if you get a CTD. 

Nb. Ignore the visual anomalies of this file (sharp square photoreal ground edges) - this is the raw imagery without blend/watermaks added. 

PLEASE NOTE: Do not add this file to your system if you are not experiencing the CTD problems - this is only a test file. 

Alrighty, thanks guys. I'll have to try another angle - will send through some further updates to try later on today. In the meantime, could you please revert your PR file back to the original: 

1. Go to your ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\Scenery folder

2. Delete the file Westsim_Innsbruck_PR_C_1m_East.bgl

3. Rename the file Westsim_Innsbruck_PR_C_1m_East.bgl.original back to  Westsim_Innsbruck_PR_C_1m_East.bgl

Cheers,

Just an FYI...I too am experiencing CTD somewhere east of the Airport.  Also for me the offending A/C seems to be the RealAir Beech Twin.

That is all.  Will patiently await the patch.  Scenery BTW is nothing short of amazing, both in detail AND performance, but everyone already knows that.

-Braun

Here's another terrain.dll victim around 10 min East of LOWI, shortly after the marker sound, if I recall right. This was in a Carenada C182 under Prepar3d3.4. No patches applied from above.

Kind regards, Michael

OK, next up I want to see if the autogen files are potentially causing us grief, by temporarily removing the agn files associated with the PR East. 

To test:

1. Go to your ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\texture folder. Create a new folder inside this called "Temp_Remove" or something similar. 

2. Within the \texture folder, move every file with the extension type .agn into Temp_Remove. There will be 1646 agn files in total. 

3. Boot up the sim, run your flight and check for CTD. You will note there will be no autogen in the coverage area. 

If this works, I can narrow down further the particular agn areas that are potentially giving us issues. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Just a thought - did any of you having crashes went in and out of cockpit and did screenshots or just watched scenery from outside view and lot? 

In the past in fsx terrain.dll error meant overload of autogen and settings in general. I will fly same approach today but I'll stay in the cockpit. 

I wonder if the scenery is not too complex for p3d capabilities. And i don't mean 32 bit engine - i mean 11 year old engine 

I can confirm no CTD happens with the autogen files disabled and the bgl file activated.

3 hours ago, Mephic said:

Just a thought - did any of you having crashes went in and out of cockpit and did screenshots or just watched scenery from outside view and lot? 

In the past in fsx terrain.dll error meant overload of autogen and settings in general. I will fly same approach today but I'll stay in the cockpit. 

I wonder if the scenery is not too complex for p3d capabilities. And i don't mean 32 bit engine - i mean 11 year old engine 

For me it happens in cockpit view.

Cheers,

Danny

Great :) Next component to add:

1. Do not move your original autogen from it's temporary folder back to the main texture folder just yet (we may need it later).

2. Drop the contents of the attached zip file into your FTX_AA_LOWI/texture folder - there will be 1609 agn files in total for this build. 

3. Try your flight again and check for CTDs in the usual spot. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Agn_Test_01_LOWI.zip

A bit different experience here, being on the original version, got 1 CTD, then on the following approaches

everything went fine except I have no reception of the ILS signal (111.10). Localizer is shown correctly on my PFD, but

no interception. FSX, DX10, FSL Bus.

Peter

Hi there, iam also getting CTD approaching LOWI from East (terrain.dll). PMDG 737 NGX , P3D3.4

I also cant use vector auto elevation tool after insatalling lowi any more. Always got an Error:

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.IO.IOException: Eine Datei kann nicht erstellt werden, wenn sie bereits vorhanden ist.

bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   bei System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   bei System.IO.File.Move(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)
   bei FtxVector.Configurator.Ui.Forms.MainForm.(Object , EventArgs )
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
    Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 4.6.1637.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
FtxVector.Configurator
    Assembly-Version: 1.50.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 1.50.0.0.
    CodeBase: file:///H:/P3D34/ORBX/FTX_VECTOR/FTX%20GLOBAL%20VECTOR%20Configuration%20Tool.exe.
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly-Version: 10.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 14.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
System
    Win32-Version: 4.6.1637.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Core
    Win32-Version: 4.6.1638.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32-Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll.
?
    Assembly-Version: 0.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 1.50.0.0.
    CodeBase: file:///H:/P3D34/ORBX/FTX_VECTOR/FTX%20GLOBAL%20VECTOR%20Configuration%20Tool.exe.
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht in diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

All I think I found the culprit LOWI installer (or vector update) set my mesh resolution automatically to 1M and I believe 5M is max without terrain.dll errors with ORBX 

I'll retry with 5m. Can you all check your res? 

Hello everyone here in this thread,

Performing this arrival, I flew dozens of times with various aircraft: AE A32X, PMDGs, Twotter, F-35 etc. Only once I did get a CTD. But I cleaned my shaders and never again CTDs.

However, in these reported positions, randomly (I'll guess: one in twenty), stutters can occur in the form of a freezing state lasting 2-4 seconds.

Nothing consistent, never know when it will happen.

Few hours ago I recorded another test with the F-35C, not multi-engine, only to test with another type of aircraft, and nothing professional, like I said, just to check it out.

If anyone wants to watch it, it's eight-minute test flight. But the "timeline" can be adjusted in the position one is interested in watching, isn't it?

Cheers,

Voyager

On 4/7/2017 at 7:18 PM, Danny1968 said:

Unfortunately again a CTD with these files :-(

On 4/8/2017 at 3:51 AM, Braun said:

It (CTD) happens in cockpit

16 hours ago, KeithGiannoni said:

Suggested fixes still caused CTD.

Thanks guys,

Next batch to test:

1. Go back to your  ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\texture folder

2. Delete all files with the filetype .agn - there will be 1609 in total after our last test.

3. Drop the 1,451 agn files from the attached zip file into your ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_LOWI\texture folder.

4. Run the test again and let me know how it goes. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Agn_Test_02_LOWI.zip

Archived