It´s Monday, the office is calling

Stillwater

So, for the time being, I have to leave the Ruhr area. Getting out of Dortmund to Hamm, where the ICE trains are divided or combined (every German train guest knows this announcement "Der Zug wird in Hamm geteilt. Ein Wechsel zwischen den Zugteilen ist nicht möglich.") Vector makes it look a bit too prominent, but at least we are reminded of the trick.

2016-11-5_19-11Hamm.jpg

Hamm also is the home of a nuclear technology experiment, that turned into a total financial disaster: The Thorium high temperature reactor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THTR-300 . Next to everything else, the cost for the demolition are estimated to be hundreds of millions of euros, and it is not clear who should pay. Imagine this money put into flight simulation (or road maintenance).

2016-11-5_19-13THTR-300Hamm.jpg

Let us go and gain the energy more sustainable at the Möhnetalsperre. Whoever wants to praise the dambusters, look at the village just under the dam, with a wonderfully depicted football pitch.

2016-11-5_19-18Mohnetal.jpg
2016-11-5_19-18-54-789.jpg

Soest. So ist the look of these cities, ...

2016-11-5_19-20Soest.jpg

... as well as Paderborn.

2016-11-5_19-32Paderborn.jpg

Here we come to Senne army training ground, a look that is familiar to you in the meantime.

2016-11-5_19-34SenneArmy.jpg
2016-11-5_19-35Tanktraining.jpg

The Externsteine just over Detmold. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externsteine 

2016-11-5_19-37Externsteine.jpg

... and the Hermann monument nearby.

2016-11-5_19-39Hermann.jpg

Gütersloh with the Bertelsmann admin buildings and the Miele works.

2016-11-5_20-1Gutersloh.jpg

Crossing Herford with its art gallery MARTa https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marta_Herford .

2016-11-5_20-10Herford.jpg

Closing in to the Porta Westfalica, we should be able to see my office from this view...

2016-11-5_20-15Porta.jpg

... so we turn, land, park and jump onto my bike to get there and earn some money.

2016-11-5_20-25EDVY.jpg

A great way to travel to work Gerold.

Some wonderful views and info on the way.

So Germany has it's share of White Elephants too, yes a lot of our money here in Oz is wasted on so many failures and unnecessary things, but I wont digress here.

I thought MARTa was a typo but now looking at the English Wikipedia page I understand. What an amazing building too.

I have not visited the dams yet but will eventually get round to it.

4 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Super great set Gerold!

Thank you, Dolf!

12 hours ago, Voyager said:

Terrific shots indeed. 

Voyager

Glad you like them, v-ger!

On 14.11.2016 at 9:43 PM, BradB said:

Informative tour and splendid shots Gerold . :):)

Cheers

John

Whatever I can do to tease you...

23 hours ago, RJ said:

Monday is always a great day for you then! Stunning shots, Gerold! :)

Obviously the highlight is the comparison between the orbx scenery and RL. The rest of the Monday jetlag... better not mention.

On 14.11.2016 at 9:31 PM, VH-KDK said:

A great way to travel to work Gerold.

Some wonderful views and info on the way.

So Germany has it's share of White Elephants too, yes a lot of our money here in Oz is wasted on so many failures and unnecessary things, but I wont digress here.

I thought MARTa was a typo but now looking at the English Wikipedia page I understand. What an amazing building too.

I have not visited the dams yet but will eventually get round to it.

Lots of sights for us all to discover. And yes, that is the way to get to work i like most. WOULD like, I have to say.

18 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

I do love your pictures as well as you mentioning the ICE trains.  Traveling by rail in Europe was so memorable.  Maybe my favorite part of our trip.

This week I had 120 minutes of scheduled train rides, plus 70 minutes delay, and it is only Tuesday. That is why I do not want to have it memorable...

17 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Thanks for another fine tour with great photos and narrative! 

You´re welcome, also in these virtual skies, Wakashi!

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gosh Gerold, your tours are always so cool and I learn a lot.  I can't wait to spend more time in Germany in my sim. 

... and I can´t wait to see you!

Nice set, thanks for sharing.

A part of that area was my MTB territory, around the Hermannsdenkmal, worked in Detmold and was raised in Lemgo. When I´m home I sometimes go to EDVY with my dad on motorbikes. Took off from there a couple of times with a neighbour, mostly heading to the frisian islands, Norderney or Langeoog in a club owned Archer II or 172. Sitting in the front seat was damn awesome when I was still a lot younger (Well, it´d still be quite as awesome now to be fair).

I need to get myself GEN and EDVY some day, but than I´d need GES, too, when it´s done, as my current home in Aachen is just south of the border.

Still, great to see these!

28 minutes ago, Mr.Mugel said:

Nice set, thanks for sharing.

A part of that area was my MTB territory, around the Hermannsdenkmal, worked in Detmold and was raised in Lemgo. When I´m home I sometimes go to EDVY with my dad on motorbikes. Took off from there a couple of times with a neighbour, mostly heading to the frisian islands, Norderney or Langeoog in a club owned Archer II or 172. Sitting in the front seat was damn awesome when I was still a lot younger (Well, it´d still be quite as awesome now to be fair).

I need to get myself GEN and EDVY some day, but than I´d need GES, too, when it´s done, as my current home in Aachen is just south of the border.

Still, great to see these!

Nice purchasing plan, but having both GEN & GES at one time would cost you a lot of time to fly & discover... you probably have the numbers of some pizza & chinese food deliveries at hands then.

Great to learn how you combined all these POIs in RL, sounds like some tours one will have to repeat from the front seat in the sim...

Archived