An-2 near 65S

Jack Sawyer

This is a VERY difficult to fly without smoking engines and fires!  I need help TTM! :blink:

Here I am after I landed in the middle of nowhere near 65S yesterday as a test.  This plane flys so slow you could ride a bicycle faster than it!

But I sure do like it.  There's a lot to learn.

And, thank you Nick Cooper for helping me resolve 65S, I did many searches on the forum on 65S but found nothing, I needed your link and now I'm good to go and happy with it.

3atELjD.jpg

RXHw32B.jpg

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A great pair of shots Jack.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon and get that old bus in the air.

Thanks fellas!

This is one tough beast to master.  Makes it doubly hard with it written in Russian, or is it called Cyrillic?  

Jack, there are excellent tutorials on youtube on how to start the An-2 from cold and dark. A definite recipy for desaster is switching from another plane with running engine to the Antonov and then go flying. But I guess you have found that out already ;)

19 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

This is a VERY difficult to fly without smoking engines and fires!  I need help TTM! :blink:

Isn't Anushka a hot lady or what ? 

You've got to watch your two cylinders heads temperature indicator gauge (#24) with an hawkeye and adjust your cowl flaps  (switch #92) to keep it below 215/220 °C . Also avoid to push the throttle beyond 12 at any time except for a very short take off or steep climbout.

A long taxiing can be... taxing  (pun intended;)) if your push her too hard. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Could be running too rich 

TTM

About the mixture, the manual says : Actually the An-2’s pilots use altitude corrector very rare, on some airplanes it was even sealed in FULL RICH position.  That applies to the Sibwings bird. There is really no need to lean.

The complementary manual from the Swiss pilot (available in the Sibwings forum) "  Managing the oil and cylinder head temperatures (CHT) is vital for service life of the engines. Running the separate cowling flaps to control the CHT and the oil temperature is very important. Let her get warm after start and provide enough cooling on hot days while taxiing on ground. Once at cruise you can manage the optimal temperatures nicely with the controls.

In the Sibwings bird, the oil shutters are just eye candy but managing the cowl flaps is indeed vital, specially on ground or in early climbout.

Great bird, pity that the dev went AWOL and that Alex Metzger never released v2.4 of the FDE (with the oil shutters working !).

My pleasure. She will grow on you, you'll see. She is slow but she is great to land on a dime (a muddy dime even) as you already experienced.  Firing her up might be an exercise in frustration  but what a cockpit and an excellent flight model !

2 minutes ago, dominique said:

My pleasure. She will grow on you, you'll see. She is slow but she is great to land on a dime (a muddy dime even) as you already experienced.  Firing her up might be an exercise in frustration  but what a cockpit and an excellent flight model !

Thanks again Dominique, great for bush flying.

Just now, tom2rific said:

what an amazing looking plane...the detail is great, and it looks daunting to fly (stocky, seems to go against conventions -not that I would know)..

is there anything you won't fly Jack ?     :D

Thanks Tom.  Yeah, it's a very cool plane as well as the history of it.  It's actually very easy to fly but you have to keep an eye on things like cowl flaps.  And it flys so slow you can land it anywhere.

Anything I won't fly?  Good question.  I doubt it.  I love 'em all, only problem is there's so many of them! :)

hehe...good answer..and there are so many I am yet to explore....so, it's good for bush flying .. wondering how it would go at Orbx Tapini..PNG

I've been flying the Pilatus PC-6C around there and guessing this would be a whole new learning curve  :unsure:

3 minutes ago, tom2rific said:

know of a link for it's background/history by any chance  ..

Hi Tom, not sure but the manual could be on their website.  It has a very interesting history.  He was a very smart guy and he was steadfast in his desire to produce it.  It mentions that it has one of the longest pre-flight checklists for example, and I think they were built right up to the late 80's.. When I first flew it in the sim I was astonished at how slowly it flys and how easy it is to land.  Wait till you read emergency landing procedures!  Very cool.  If it wasn't for TTM's around the world flight in it I never would have bought it.  This plane has a lot of charachter and for something that's pretty large can fly so slow it makes it all the better for sightseeing.  Which is why I buy Orbx in the first place.  I[m especially keen on POI's.

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Tom, not sure but the manual could be on their website.  It has a very interesting history.  He was a very smart guy and he was steadfast in his desire to produce it.  It mentions that it has one of the longest pre-flight checklists for example, and I think they were built right up to the late 80's.. When I first flew it in the sim I was astonished at how slowly it flys and how easy it is to land.  Wait till you read emergency landing procedures!  Very cool.  If it wasn't for TTM's around the world flight in it I never would have bought it.  This plane has a lot of charachter and for something that's pretty large can fly so slow it makes it all the better for sightseeing.  Which is why I buy Orbx in the first place.  I[m especially keen on POI's.

www.sibwings.com/an2/manual.pdf

Cheers

John

5 hours ago, dominique said:

Have you tried the "radioactive" cockpit lighting, Jack ? it works in the Sibwing bird B).

About " its actually easy to fly", try to land her in a hefty crosswind, a whale of a weathervane she is then :lol: !

Not yet but I have seen screenshots of it, it looks eerily cool!

3 hours ago, tom2rific said:

That was a great story Tom!  Kept me reading till the end.  I have only made one flight in it so far, a test flight from Valdez back to Valdez, ten minutes maybe.  I have a lot to learn but it's a unique plane with a lot of character and history.

Archived