Incredible video. Pilot dead, passenger must land the Cessna

Mikelab6

Thank you very much for sharing, Mike!

9 hours ago, johnost said:

Apart from the tragic death of the pilot, isn't this a flight simmer's dream?

Hm, if I was a pilot, I had an uneasy feeling to be with you all alone on my plane, John! ^_^

Impressive video. I'm feeling sad for the pilot.

I was constantly thinking how we flightsimmers would have managed that. We know the procedures and principles of PAPI, flaps, throttle and RPM's, etc. but I think the real world kinetics, vibrations and ground effect will be difficult for us too then. Flying a Cessna would not be a problem but landing it in the dark is a different story. Kudos for the man who did it. 

Oooh, just watched this video holding my breath and with sweaty hands - imagined how it was sitting in a dark cockpit with my dead friend at the side, not knowing what to do and staying calm enough for 2 hours... Just hats off to John. I suppose that's the kind of airmanship you have to be gifted with to be a RL pilot. When I think of the sometimes inattentive way I'm driving my car I'm glad to be just an armchair pilot.

Interesting video for sure and yes, so sad for the pilot and his family too.

As for a simmer landing a Cessna I have some experience.  I took a friend with me for a Cessna Discovery Flight once.   After some initial briefing we loaded up with me as pilot in the left seat.   Instructor had me start the engine, taxi (using rudder control) to the active and take off.  Flew around Shasta Lake (N. Calif) for almost 1/2 hour, then back to KRDD.  He had me lower the flaps, reduce power, line up, and land the aircraft.  Never even made a chirp on touchdown.  Exciting and it all seemed so familiar the whole time due to simming.  Good thing is my friend who has never even been in a small plane did pretty good too!   lol

I would like to try this scenario out in the A2A Cessna. I have UK2000's Humberside Airport. I might even try it with lights off. It must have been hard to retain any situation awareness whatsoever. Even a trained pilot would have difficulty judging speed, altitude, descent rate...

I guess one of the problems for a trained pilot would be the fact that Humberside's runway is longer and wider than the usual GA strip, so it would be more difficult to judge the correct approach path without instruments.

I suppose he is a lucky man to be alive. The landing was not a success by anyone's reckoning, but he did walk away from the landing in one piece. The aircraft was probably reusable after a bit of repair to what may have been broken undercarriage... I seriously doubt that any one of us, armchair or even real-world pilots, would have wanted to be in his situation.

A

Archived