Nanaimo to Kelowna, using John's PTA settings

bernd1151

This was my first longer flight with PTA installed (I have tried Adam's and Andy's PTA settings and a few others. The ones from Andy and Adam are pretty similar to the one John uses. Like Adam I have also reduced brightness in HDR). At the end of the flight, I counted how often I had hit the V key: 128 times. This speaks volumes about how amazed I was, when looking around during the flight. The difficult part came, when I had to choose which of these 128 pics I should use for this thread, because I liked them all. I didn’t want to break Lane’s picture-posting record, so these 20 selected are not the best of them, they are just 20 out of 128.

The plane is a 1940s, Alfa Romeo-powered Fiat G12 that was used in Italy till the end of the 1950s. This model was developed for FS9, but flies beautifully also in P3D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Ok Bernd

If you tell me where you got the Fiat G12 I'll suggest to you how to refine the pics.:)

The only tweak I would suggest is to throttle back the blue slightly, its a bit dominant in some of the shots as regards natural color balance.

Then again it could be my monitor.

But I can read the wording on the aircraft!

Masterful set.

TTM

Thank you guys!

19 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Ok Bernd

If you tell me where you got the Fiat G12 I'll suggest to you how to refine the pics.:)

The only tweak I would suggest is to throttle back the blue slightly, its a bit dominant in some of the shots as regards natural color balance.

Then again it could be my monitor.

But I can read the wording on the aircraft!

Masterful set.

TTM

Hi TTM, this time the registration is from me, so I made the characters especially large for both of us  :D:D

The plane's link is here: http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=fiat+G12&categoryId=

And now you have to tell me, how I can reduce the blue in PTA ;)

Thank you, RJ

56 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Sorry TTM, I found it, it was set to 1.06. I will reduce it to 1.00 and try again

Thank you gents for your comments. 

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

I'm of course flattered you're using my PTA settings, but your haze is not set the same as mine, it's far too blue.

Here is my haze settings:

Capture.jpg

Thanks John, my settings for blue are the same as yours, but red and green were for whatever reason much lower and have been adjusted now

Absolutely amazing what PTA can do but no offense Bernd, on my iPad at least it's just a tad blue.  Like the others above said.  Can you change to what Mr. V said and repost some for comparison?  I mean post one of the bluish ones and then one with the new PTA settings?  I'm still using Adams.  Been too busy to use Mr. V's, Rich's, or Andy's.. It's an almost infinite combination!

Lovely stuff Bernd. And ain't this fun? I've just been doing a flight around Travis AFB CA and I can't stop myself from pausing all the time and just panning around - it all looks incredible. It's getting difficult to actually go anywhere, I'm too busy stopping to take in the view or take screenies.

This has become a ridiculous amount of fun, and it's at least 50% ORBX's work that's made it so. I can't believe how good this is all looking these days.

3 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

If you have time to 'recreate' the flight, or go back to the general area, interested to see a couple of shots after the RGB adjustments you referred to.

TTM

TTM and Jack, the first one is my original setting, the second one is with John’s rgb haze tones. You’ll see not much of a difference, so there must be more settings involved to change the outcome. Btw, every time I changed the settings, I restarted the sim, just to make sure that the changes have been applied correctly. The third one shows settings by Richard Sennet, a friend of Jack and mine over at avsim. Those look actually pretty much like the default ones, so a mixture of John’s and Rich’s should do the trick. Whenever you are up there in the real world, you always have a bit of a bluish haze in the distance. Well, at least I experienced that.

113459.jpg

27933d.jpg

305390.jpg

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely stuff Bernd. And ain't this fun? I've just been doing a flight around Travis AFB CA and I can't stop myself from pausing all the time and just panning around - it all looks incredible. It's getting difficult to actually go anywhere, I'm too busy stopping to take in the view or take screenies.

This has become a ridiculous amount of fun, and it's at least 50% ORBX's work that's made it so. I can't believe how good this is all looking these days.

Andy my dear friend, I wholeheartedly agree with you  :)

There's a huge difference between the first two and Rich's.  I have no idea what slider does what but on my iPad again it still looks too bluish to me.  But then I haven't looked at them on a different screen.  I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.  I have been on an awful lot of real life flights in the cockpits of big jets and small planes and hot air balloons.  I don't recall so much blue.  Maybe lessen it a tad?  But that's my two cents for what it's worth.  I'd be interested to see what TTM and others have to say.  It's all so subjective isn't it?

Perhaps try saving your current settings then loading my preset into PTA again to reset it.

Also your sky color does not suit a blue haze, it's too pale. Try using a deeper blue sky tone to reduce the contrast with the haze.

Be careful when borrowing just one piece of someone's setup without the others. My environment was constructed over many hours of testing and trying a large number of combinations until everything worked well together. For instance, I loaded and screenshotted every single REX Soft Clouds cumulus set with and without HDR until I settled on set 6+HDR. If you use just one part of the puzzle (my PTA settings) without my sky, clouds and other settings then the balance is lost and you'll need to experiment like I did to achieve a proper one.

There is something clearly amiss with your setup since my haze is nowhere near as blue as yours, as you can see below:

imagejpeg

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

Perhaps try saving your current settings then loading my preset into PTA again to reset it.

...If you use just one part of the puzzle (my PTA settings) without my sky, clouds and other settings then the balance is lost and you'll need to experiment like I did to achieve a proper one.

I'm afraid you are right, John. I had hoped that by just installing your PTA settings into my P3D without having your REX settings etc, would do the trick ;)

As the old saying goes: there is no such thing as free lunch.

Since yesterday I am experimenting with various PTA and REX settings (I have REX Essential Plus) and will eventually come to something that I hope will suit me best.

Archived