using "Global" setting after migration

Dazkent

Hello

Hope i have posted in the right forum, if not please feel free to move this

I have yet to migrate to the unified lookup and I have one concern before i do so, I mainly fly in the UK using my regions which i love, However when doing any flights with complex aircraft around the London area I switch to Global as I get better framerates, I understand the migration eliminates the need for swtiching so would it be  possible for me to swtich to Global textures for frame heavy areas?

kind regards

Daz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dazkent,

No, it is not possible that way, but you can go Scenery Library and disable what you want. This will have the same effect, a little more convenient it, because it can be done "in flight".

Look at to do this:

DesableEu.jpg

Don't forget to enable them again.

Cheers,

Voyager

I'd seriously consider buying SIMstarter NG. Its cheap, and once you've used it, you'll probably wonder how you ever got by without it! You can set up a profile for flying using FTX Global, EU OpenLC and Vectors only, and another quite separate profile for flying in the FTX Regions. There are so many possible permutations, every flight can be easily optimised for the best VAS conservation and performance.

I don't know if you also have Vector but be aware that it is almost impossible to switch off a region and fly just in OLC in that area especially with Vector installed.

I wanted to see what the performance was like in the area covered by PNW but just use for a comparison, OLC NA's coverage of that area. I disabled PNW and had Vector enabled so i would get the coastlines, roads etc. I found that many of the airports were then sunken or floating. The reason is that within the Regions download are AED elevation files which are not disabled automatically when you "disable" a region. The disabling only disables the main files and does not look in Scenery\world\scenery folder to disable any pertinent elevations files. Without removing temporarily  all the AED elevation bgls relevant to the region you have disabled, you will have elevation problems.

In the England FTX Region the airports affected are EGDG,EGJJ,EGJB,EGJA, EGDP,EGDJ. as an example, because those airports have AED elevation bgls in scenery\world\scenery.

Yes, I don't think that it was ever envisaged that a customer would purchase a regional product, 

install it and then disable it before flying over it.

I wonder why not.:mellow:

Before the Apply Group function was removed from FTX Central, the elevation files were indeed

disabled when the Group was deselected.

If one feels the need to disable an installed region, a search of scenery\world\scenery must be carried out

for the elevation adjustment files for the region in question.

These can then be temporarily removed from the scenery\world\scenery folder and the default airports will

not be affected by them.

Alternatively, if the only purpose of disabling the region is to test a theory or in the belief that disabling it will

allow an overflight by an airliner and no landing is to be made, the elevation adjustment files can be left alone.

I think Dazkent gave you the reason why he wants to be able to disable it Nick and i think it your answer is not very professional. To be honest i am quite annoyed myself that i have to disable all the elevation files now myself if i want to switch off a region. There should be an option in FTXCentral which does this.

My answer is a statement of the facts.

In the previous version of FTX Central, the elevation adjustment files were disabled when the

Default or Global setting was selected and Apply Group was clicked.

Now that option has been removed.

Though I had nothing to do with the decision to do this I have guessed that the likelihood of

customers wishing to install and then disable regions was not considered, or if it was, it was

discounted.

I believe that the decision to removed the Apply Group and hybrid options was as a result of customer

demand.

The elevation adjustment files in themselves have no effect on VAS and do not need to be disabled unless

a particular default airport is an intended destination and the region's elevation adjustment file is not

compatible with it.

"Yes, I don't think that it was ever envisaged that a customer would purchase a regional product, 

install it and then disable it before flying over it.

I wonder why not.:mellow:"

I guess the same argument would be relevant to previously being able to disable a region and fly in Hybrid mode when you had a Region installed;). It doesn't affect me at all but I do understand from a tube fliers perspective that an alternative OLC only option, that worked, would be handy. The amount of detail in a full fat is not really as important in a tube as it is in a slow & low.

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I guess the same argument would be relevant to previously being able to disable a region and fly in Hybrid mode when you had a Region installed;).

The only time the regions would be disabled in the scenery library is if you selected Global without Hybrid mode.

We may add a "disable product" option to FTX Central v3 eventually, but that will be at least a month away.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies, I never realised that simply unticking in the scenery library and leaving the global ones checked would let me fly with just global. I must admit i had not heard of SIMstarter or the freeware alternative so will check those out too.

Archived