Something seriously wrong with VAS in SCA KLAX area

B77X

I am comparing VAS with and without SCA enabled at FSDT KLAX, in the cockpit of the PMDG 737NGX

Here is remaining VAS with SCA enabled

CuK1V5X.jpg

This is crazy. I can't fly anywhere in this. I am not using any AI traffic. No boats. No cars. No other airplanes. Nothing.

Now compare this VAS number to starting FSX Acceleration with SCA disabled

UyXCPNO.jpg

Where did almost 2GB go???

3 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Why are you surprised?  This has been an issue since day one and has been discussed at length, here and elsewhere. 

So there is no fix? I don't keep track of everything here, this is the first I've heard.

Just now, B77X said:

So there is no fix? I don't keep track of everything here, this is the first I've heard.

Some folks turn off SCA altogether when flying tubeliners into LAX.  I don't fly the things myself, but mostly GA and I've found turning down autogen density to normal and cloud draw distance to minimum (full left) helps a lot with vas usage.  Your discovery to disable SCA is probably the most reasonable solution for you.  Others have managed this way and don't seem to have problems as far as I know.  It's a very busy, dense area.

It will be interesting to see if the new OLC NA is as demanding on the system with SCA disabled. I know that with SCA disabled and using Megascenery Southern California photoscenery ( and far less autogen than SCA) KLAX area is still very demanding even with low ai. It is just one helluva demanding area especially with such a large city and dozens of airports within the traffic ai spawning radius.

I am really upset, I've had SCA for a while but never flyed in the Los Angeles area until now. This ruins the scenery for me, I don't see anything to help me free up 1gb or more of vas I need.

I can fly out of KSFO, CYVR, KSEA and not have this VAS issue that I have with SCA. Is there a planned patch?

24 minutes ago, B77X said:

I am really upset, I've had SCA for a while but never flyed in the Los Angeles area until now. This ruins the scenery for me, I don't see anything to help me free up 1gb or more of vas I need.

I can fly out of KSFO, CYVR, KSEA and not have this VAS issue that I have with SCA. Is there a planned patch?

FSx was originally coded to allow the use of the type of aircraft and scenery that came out of the box.  That was more than enough.  Since then developers have consistently pushed the envelope in resource usage, each developer has their product lying within the capabilities of the sim.

However, when you get two or more of these high end products together, the 32 bit coding in FSX shows its limitations.

Unfortunately, if you choose to fly resource hungry aircraft such as PMDG, then you will need to make sacrifices in terms of the level of scenery that the sim can display.

Equally, if the scenery is the most important element (as it is for me) then you have to choose a suitable level of aircraft complexity to go with the heavy demands of the scenery.

No amount of work by developers can resolve this conundrum, it's part and parcel of the FSX limitations.  Unfortunately but it's a fact.  Just the same as if you have an airliner.  You can load it up to its limit and fly across the country but no more.  Or, you can limit the load and fly halfway around the world, but you can't do both.

1 hour ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

I have not seen this  VAS monitoring tool and would be interested to try it. Would it be possible to provide a DL link please.

Hello Jeff,

You can find one at the Avsim Library, file name vas_monitor12.zip

It requires FSUIPC to be installed and is for FSX

13 hours ago, John Dow said:

FSx was originally coded to allow the use of the type of aircraft and scenery that came out of the box.  That was more than enough.  Since then developers have consistently pushed the envelope in resource usage, each developer has their product lying within the capabilities of the sim.

However, when you get two or more of these high end products together, the 32 bit coding in FSX shows its limitations.

Unfortunately, if you choose to fly resource hungry aircraft such as PMDG, then you will need to make sacrifices in terms of the level of scenery that the sim can display.

Equally, if the scenery is the most important element (as it is for me) then you have to choose a suitable level of aircraft complexity to go with the heavy demands of the scenery.

No amount of work by developers can resolve this conundrum, it's part and parcel of the FSX limitations.  Unfortunately but it's a fact.  Just the same as if you have an airliner.  You can load it up to its limit and fly across the country but no more.  Or, you can limit the load and fly halfway around the world, but you can't do both.

None of that explains how it is possible for the SCA scenery to consume almost 2GB!!! of textures.

To be fair it is not the whole of SCA it is the LA Basin area that is extremely demanding. Also you need to consider how much the PMDG plane is contributing to your VAS issue at this location. I know this doesn't help you but John Dow's explanation is accurate. Again, not what you want, but what is the VAS readings if you fly a default VFR plane at KLAX with the same settings as for when you fly the PMDG plane. The results will indicate the performance hit that the plane causes. Then try a default VFR plane with all scenery settings at Normal and very little ai?

The situation at KLAX is the same for everyone so I am afraid you have to live with it and trim your settings accordingly. The rest of SCA  for me is fine with high fps and with traffic. Just LA basin is the killer.

14 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

To be fair it is not the whole of SCA it is the LA Basin area that is extremely demanding. Also you need to consider how much the PMDG plane is contributing to your VAS issue at this location. I know this doesn't help you but John Dow's explanation is accurate. Again, not what you want, but what is the VAS readings if you fly a default VFR plane at KLAX with the same settings as for when you fly the PMDG plane. The results will indicate the performance hit that the plane causes. Then try a default VFR plane with all scenery settings at Normal and very little ai?

The situation at KLAX is the same for everyone so I am afraid you have to live with it and trim your settings accordingly. The rest of SCA  for me is fine with high fps and with traffic. Just LA basin is the killer.

Again, I will say again, that both those screenshots are with the PMDG airplane. Without SCA enabled, in the PMDG, I have over 2gb of VAS free.

The SCA scenery consumes almost 2GB of textures. That is not acceptable no matter what airplane I am flying.

Archived