So.....I bought PNW. What next?

Off the top of my head, a few challenging strips -

Moh Creek, Scar Creek, Mahatta River, Crawfish Lake, Strom Field (39P), Green Acres Air Park (7OR6), Glide Aero (17OR), Calvert Peak airstrip (OR73), N. Rubio Drive (near Lilliwaup), and last but not least, Hilltop (98TE) which also has a non-Orbx payware version by some talented fellow.

8 hours ago, h3pilot said:

Have you added the Orbx freeware airports?  Vashon Island has a short grass runway.

Not yet. I want to install them but I know there are a few Hawaiian airports which are included too and if its easy to turn them off I'd do it in a flash. I have Hawaii set up just right and don't know what happens if I have two of the same installed?

Walter Sutton's (WA79) has a non listed airstrip that is a little challenging included in the package.  Vernonia 0S5 has a very challenging extra field 30OR (Bero field) that is very small and challenging.  KCMW's Bear Gulch airfield has an easy approach but landing can be a bit challenging because the runway includes a fairly narrow bridge that you have to stay lined up on or end up in a ditch

Of course if you really want some challenges (and some fun) then the two PNG airports have a lot to offer. 

5 hours ago, johnnycrockett said:

Not yet. I want to install them but I know there are a few Hawaiian airports which are included too and if its easy to turn them off I'd do it in a flash. I have Hawaii set up just right and don't know what happens if I have two of the same installed?

I didn't mean the FTX Global airport packs.

I meant the "freeware orbx na scenery" airports from the Orbx Freeware page: https://fullterrain.com/freeware 

2S1 Vashon Island, 7WA3 West Wind, KHQM Bowerman and the Portland Cityscape are all in the PNW.

Regarding the FTX Airport Packs:

A simple way to see what happens with your HI scenery is to install the FTX Global airport pack for NA and see what they look like.

The order in your scenery library will determine the precedence.  You can try putting the FTX airport pack both above and below your current HI scenery and see which looks best.  

I have some freeware photo-real Hawaii scenery and adding the FTX Global airport pack did result in some double control tower, wind socks, and taxiways being covered in grass.  I also just liked some of the photo-real airports better, so I just disabled the Orbx ones.

You can manually disable (just rename .OFF) the individual offending airports.

I thought the 300+ airports in the pack were worth the time spent disabling a few HI airports.

Ultimately, if there are conflicts that you don't want to deal with, you can simply disable or remove the entire airport pack from your scenery library.

21 hours ago, h3pilot said:

I didn't mean the FTX Global airport packs.

I meant the "freeware orbx na scenery" airports from the Orbx Freeware page: https://fullterrain.com/freeware 

2S1 Vashon Island, 7WA3 West Wind, KHQM Bowerman and the Portland Cityscape are all in the PNW.

Regarding the FTX Airport Packs:

A simple way to see what happens with your HI scenery is to install the FTX Global airport pack for NA and see what they look like.

The order in your scenery library will determine the precedence.  You can try putting the FTX airport pack both above and below your current HI scenery and see which looks best.  

I have some freeware photo-real Hawaii scenery and adding the FTX Global airport pack did result in some double control tower, wind socks, and taxiways being covered in grass.  I also just liked some of the photo-real airports better, so I just disabled the Orbx ones.

You can manually disable (just rename .OFF) the individual offending airports.

I thought the 300+ airports in the pack were worth the time spent disabling a few HI airports.

Ultimately, if there are conflicts that you don't want to deal with, you can simply disable or remove the entire airport pack from your scenery library.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I certainly thinks its worthwhile, just needed a nudge to do it!

Archived