Australian airports

Patrick Cox

Australian airports  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that ORBX could produce at least one Australian and one New Zealand airport each year?

• Australian
    • New Zealand

YBAF Archerfield has been a long held wish of mine. It was the place of my first solo in a good old faithful C172, VH-MDX. Can't afford real flying any more but flight simming comes close to filling the void, especially with Orbx products.

I am of the persuasion that if ORBX can dedicate resources to crank out a FTX region, there should be at least one detailed airport add-on for it.  Nothing yet for NZNI, although the two we have for NZSI are absolute classics that I could not imagine being without.

Given what I can glean from the Orbx business model, this doesn't sound like an easy request to fulfil. While the Global and region products are top-down planned, it is my understanding that that is not the case with airports. Given that most airport packages done to the current Orbx standard tend to take a lot of time, like about a year or more for one person, then this is actually quite an ask for a small company that relies heavily on contractors who have high level of autonomy to choose their projects.

9 hours ago, paralipsis said:

Given what I can glean from the Orbx business model, this doesn't sound like an easy request to fulfil.

Agreed.  And that is probably why Pat felt the need to start the thread.

This is a (oh ever so slightly) slanted poll ;). One option is definitely missing and that it is "No, i don't think that OrbX should spend any more effort on Australia and New Zealand" which have more of their share of airports.  

More airports in NA, EU and "Other Oceania" (PNG and Micronesia) for me.

1. Darwin Intl (For flights to Broome, YBAS, and YAYE)

2. Perth Intl 

3. Any other major West Coast airport

Australia has incredible coverage as it is, however, I kinda feel like the West coast is a little under-represented. There's so many cool airports out there that offer airline service but nobody's ever touched them in FSX/P3D's history. 

All the suggestions are very nice, but honestly, do you think that they would make a profit for Orbx? personally, I think not. Better to let some of the smaller producers, or even the freeware manufacturers release what's left in Aus to do.

Speaking from a developer's point of view, these polls and requests for more Australian airports do not add much encouragement. Each time it comes up folks talk like there is an enormous untapped market for Australian airports that would purchase en masse if we simply made another. The thing is, we are not operating on ignorance, there is 8 years worth of sales data indicating which types and locations of airports are most favored. Those are not binding elements but they certainly do play a role in choosing a project.

Running forum polls does not provide much new information either, all we know now is that at least 10 people are expressing general interest in a new Australian airport. One year ago we ran a poll on customer demand that included every airport within an Orbx region. That would have been the moment where we would have seen an interest in Australian airports, users had up to 10 votes so it was not hard to cast a vote toward an Australian airport if interested. Out of the top 25 airports selected, 3 were in Australia, and one of those was Sydney, directly ahead of Sydney in the rankings was Billings, Montana. In top 50 there were 5 in Australia.

That's not to say no developer will ever work on an Australian airport again, we have great creative freedom and choose our projects at our discretion. I am currently working on a project that I have no idea if there is any demand for, if there is I have plans to build upon it in the future, if there is not I will work on other airports that interest me and can also offer reward for the time spent.

Archived