FAA Anounces Mandatory Drone Registration !

Penzoil3

7 minutes ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Next you'll be filing flight plans and radioing the tower for clearance...

Unfortunately until the dumbasses that brought this measure to fruition by inappropriate use/locations flying their new "TOY" realize the seriousness of possible consequences we can probably look forward to just such further restrictions.

There was never a problem with RC pilots and modelers.  It took time to build the models.  More time to learn to fly them.  Areas were set aside for them to fly in (here in Roswell it is the old city airport that was abandoned when Walker Air Force Base was closed and became the city airport).  And due to the expense, time consumed building the models and learning to fly them kept the less responsible from taking up the hobby.  Those RC hobbyists also were self policing because the groups were small.

With drones becoming less and less expensive and easy to fly and slick marketing techniques everyone can be a drone pilot.

Not long ago there was an article about someone with drone attaching and firing a handgun from one.  What's the next step?

I think a good analogy is the difference between NASCAR and Formula 1 racers and irresponsible kids drag racing on city streets.

Yes, Spud, more and stricter regulations will be coming. 

360px-Pogo_-_Earth_Day_1971_poster.jpg.2

Noel

There is a problem to that, the same people that fly carelessly and are not aware of the rules.... won't be aware that they need to register.

All popular drone (DJI, Blade...) with GPS could have a sealing of 300 feet, that would solve 95% of the problem.

The one that built there own machine (like me) are aware of the rules.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

There is no real info when buying those online, even in store.

Back in the days when I had my hobby shop, when selling an RC helicopter I told the guy that he had to join a club and learn how to fly.

90% didn't and crash the thing in second.

Ben

My only foray into RC was with a helicopter.  I did go out to area old airport where the club was flying and they tried to teach me, but like dancing, I wasn't able to pick it up.  I understand drones are very easy to fly.

It's becoming like the gun problem in the United States.  The vast majority of gun owners are responsible but guns are so easy to get and use that the irresponsible have no problem buying them and wreaking the havoc they do.

Noel

26 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

My Blade, is a helicpter, but as I'm reading the new law it's any RC over .55 pounds, not just drones. So I'll register it. Sheesh... PITA !

LOL

Sue

Yea, it make to sense BUT, when flying in LOS (line of sight) you never really fly more then a few hundred feet and by looking at the airplane you would see any real plane coming.

The 2 pound rule was perfect... anyway I fly and film in the agricultural businesses so it's not a concern for me

Ben

I've been flying for three years and have met several other UAV pilots and its kind of interesting the different ways we look at the goal to the flight.  For me, my interest is mainly the flying part and treat the craft with the same care I would a real plane trying to protect it from as much as possible.  A friend who is into photography is more about the camera and getting the shot and has little care or understanding of the flying part (he has now lost 2 because of his lack of understanding the need to be focused on the health of the craft).  Another friend got into it for the cool factor and he too has lost 2 or 3 due to not having taken the time to learn about the craft, flying and all the ins and outs of radio frequencies etc.  I flew with a main seller of one and saw how he had little know how in how to fly smoothly.

My point is, with just the few people I have met there really is no main focus of flying first and other goals secondly.  Now look at pilots all who have learned to fly from an instructor and you do see a common focus.  Even rc pilots who have no modern tech stuff to to basically allow it to take off fly and land by itself and you have the same focus of being a good pilot or else.

This new FAA thing does not fix anything but it is a step towards what what will hopefully become a good structure much like what has become the way of becoming a real life pilot.  Who knows how much of this will be a fad to those who might get them as a gift and after their first crash into a tree they give it up. Meanwhile the industry is doing a better job at self regulating themselves via geo fencing and other measures like the coming GEO which takes Geo fencing to the next level and attempts to create more accountability. 

35 minutes ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

The late Alan Kulwicki turned right all the time, doing the polish victory lap.  Always turning right seems to work for UPS.  :D

I thought they outlawed the Polish victory lap because it was interfering with Jeff Burton's ability of finish the race.

Q: How can you tell when a NASCAR fan is watching a Formula One race?
A: When he taps you on the shoulder and asks "Are we watching qualifying?"

On 15/12/2015 at 2:33 AM, birdguy said:

There was never a problem with RC pilots and modelers.  It took time to build the models.  More time to learn to fly them.  Areas were set aside for them to fly in (here in Roswell it is the old city airport that was abandoned when Walker Air Force Base was closed and became the city airport).  And due to the expense, time consumed building the models and learning to fly them kept the less responsible from taking up the hobby.  Those RC hobbyists also were self policing because the groups were small.

With drones becoming less and less expensive and easy to fly and slick marketing techniques everyone can be a drone pilot.

Not long ago there was an article about someone with drone attaching and firing a handgun from one.  What's the next step?

Noel

I saw this, and was pretty shocked too.  I suppose I shouldn't have been.  There was also a fool on the on the net (I saw him on TV) teaching people and selling plans to make automatic weapons with a 3D printer. :(

On a less sinister note, there were also plans to start delivering pizzas with drones.  Another piece of good news I think I also saw on the news.

Now that wouldn't clog up the skies! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

There's more to having them registered besides "stupid" people owning and using them in "accidental" ways.  They could be used intentionally for other purposes too.  People have been pointing lasers at airplanes at night around airports for several years now.  I'll leave it at that.  And yes, that still doesn't mean all the "bad guys" would have their's registered, unless it became mandatory you had to register one when you bought it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this decision ended up at the Supreme Court someday, along the lines of mandatory gun registration.  

Just a note gentlemen, for now, autonomy is very low and weak especially wile carrying stuff, in my case a cam.

I have only one machine that can fly a bout 20 minute with a GoPro. So that mean 10 min to go and 10 min to come back.

Ben

Archived