Huge FPS drop with PNW

Demious

I was having some FPS issues in PNW and I already turned settings down, but still it was hard to stick to 20FPS in some areas and close to airports this dropped to 13-15, even. Now I turned off hybrid mode for Global, so I'm running Global textures only and my FPS increased to no less than 40-60 and I could easily turn settings to max and still do 30-40FPS with ease.

Isnt this drop in FPS, with PNW active, way too much?

I've been testing where the biggest FPS drop comes from and this is the Scenery entry in the library, CVX, Mesh and Custom seem to have a very reasonable performance drop, but as soon as I turn on the Scenery entry, FPS drops like a brick.

I see a drop also - some 30-40%. I have regular test flight that I run in the default C172 from W56 to 3W5 at 2500 MSL with Fair Weather. Settings are all sliders to the right except Traffic which is off to remove the variables. I just did a clean install of both the OS and P3D v3 yesterday and the test results were:

Average FPS at 3W5 with default scenery 121 FPS

Add-in Global Base and the FPS was 126 FPS

Add-in Vector and the FPS was 106 FPS

With PNW (Vector disabled) active the FPS drops to 85 FPS

I've tried this same test in the past around KSEA and, while the framerates are much lower, FPS drop has always been 30-40%. I see the same thing with FSX.

Doug

Simplest way is probably to stay away from Oakland. Set you Limit of Distance to less. Reduce your scenery density. Personally I stay more on the Pacific side to avoid the cranes and not compromise my San Francisco experience. I only use GA aircraft. Fly over SFO but use San Diego to land. Perhaps a simple change for ORBX would be to run through all of the LOD settings in the crane and reduce them so you have to be really close to get the "frame sucking detail". They do look nice but....

Simplest way is probably to stay away from Oakland. Set you Limit of Distance to less. Reduce your scenery density. Personally I stay more on the Pacific side to avoid the cranes and not compromise my San Francisco experience. I only use GA aircraft. Fly over SFO but use San Diego to land. Perhaps a simple change for ORBX would be to run through all of the LOD settings in the crane and reduce them so you have to be really close to get the "frame sucking detail". They do look nice but....

I wish they would just delete the dang things. I don't need to see them,wonder if I can add an exclusion zone in instant scenery 3

• 2 weeks later...

The link for PNW/Seattle, is specifically about the Seattle are, but I'm having problems, say between KORS-CYSE/Vancouver area. Also that post describes a general problem, far as I can tell, that PNW in general has an FPS problem, but shouldnt I notice the same in P3Dv2.5 if that is the case?

PNW runs fine in P3Dv2.5, never had serious FPS problems, not even in Seattle. The problem started with the v3 version, installed in v3 (in v2.5 everything is still fine), while v3 should have better performance. Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

On 11/1/2015, 3:58:43, Triplane said:

I see a drop also - some 30-40%. I have regular test flight that I run in the default C172 from W56 to 3W5 at 2500 MSL with Fair Weather. Settings are all sliders to the right except Traffic which is off to remove the variables. I just did a clean install of both the OS and P3D v3 yesterday and the test results were:

Average FPS at 3W5 with default scenery 121 FPS

Add-in Global Base and the FPS was 126 FPS

Add-in Vector and the FPS was 106 FPS

With PNW (Vector disabled) active the FPS drops to 85 FPS

I've tried this same test in the past around KSEA and, while the framerates are much lower, FPS drop has always been 30-40%. I see the same thing with FSX.

Doug

You are getting 87 fps and you are complaining??????

39 minutes ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

Hi Demious,

While the drop in FPS is significant, the features (Cranes) in those topics that Holger linked to are important things to remember.

Please give me 55 of your FPS and I'll be a happy man, from a poor FSX/DX9 user FPS locked @32.:)

Try DX10 which can add some FPS :) I'm getting about 80FPS over rural areas easily with all addons installed in default aircraft, but at heavy urban areas it drops under 30 same as with heavy clouds, but there is limit of GPU as I have 8xSGSS enabled in FSX.

It is all based on whether you use vsync or not for you to get these high fps readings. For stability I use vsync, high settings and all is smooth and no tearing and average around 30fps in dense autogen areas. Across country areas with only towns, 55-60fps. At Seattle I will get around 20fps with AI and smooth. Without vsync?....not tried it ! P3Dv3 being used.564c94d62f5c3_Seattle25fps.thumb.JPG.9c0

1 hour ago, Jiri Kocman said:

Try DX10 which can add some FPS :) I'm getting about 80FPS over rural areas easily with all addons installed in default aircraft, but at heavy urban areas it drops under 30 same as with heavy clouds, but there is limit of GPU as I have 8xSGSS enabled in FSX.

Thanks Jiri,

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread (apologies Demious), I just thought 87FPS was awesome and am a wee bit jealous, but I am pretty happy with my DX9 setup & (FPS - that I never watch) because smoothness @ Extremely Dense autogen 8xSQ-AA 4xSS transparency AA, VSync 1/2 refresh adaptive set through NVI, also using DSR gives me a smooth flying experience. Sure its not mind blowing like P3Dv3 nor is it delivering DX10 benefits but I'm happy all the same, until I hang up the gloves.

Having a consistently higher frame rate might allow me to look at a GSync monitor though, and go 4K native with a better graphics card. The thing is I like using (FSWC 3.5 Full) which is incompatible with DX10.

Archived