What would my sim be without Orbx

Kilstorm

I remember a few years ago being on Teamspeak with a fellow FSE member from Oz who was telling me about this company that was going to be releasing this PNW package that would catch everyone by surprise.  He was selling me on what they had did for Oz and they were now going to start doing the same for the USA. I listened and even went and brought the AU package and Tamsworth and was very impressed.

When I look at my addons I realize how much Orbx has changed my sim. Take all the Orbx products out of the mix and I would have one small region (TongassX) and the rest would be big airports.  I would own some nice GA planes thanks to A2A but not great GA fields to base them out of. The landscape would still be default and my simming would be completely different.

Not only has Orbx provided my virtual world with a collection of all kinds of places to land from all kinds of sizes around the world but also the entire surface with the exception of water has been cranked up to 11 thanks to Global, Vector and landclass where there are no regions which are on their own merit a huge collection of airports and point of interest.

I really started thinking about this as I was looking at other airports addons and what other are making.  There are plenty of mega hubs and huge airports but without Orbx there is no real supply of good regional and smaller GA airports.

Well said sir.

Before i bought New Zealand... I went there in stock FSX and carefully plan some route.

The day after I bought NZ (both) I did the same route and almost fell from my chair.

For me regions will always be the trademark of ORBX until one day, the Global line reach close to the level of full fat region.

My next ORBX purchase will be vector.

Ben

The main reason I finally switched from FS9 to FSX was PNW. That was back in 10-26-2012. I'm a member here since 12-01-2012. Not so long ago, I know, but everything began to change from that point on. IMO, ORBX became the standard for high-quality products, support, staff members, everything. :)
Cheers,

For me regions will always be the trademark of ORBX until one day, the Global line reach close to the level of full fat region.

My next ORBX purchase will be vector.

Ben

Global + Vector + Open Landclass + a good mesh addon = a worldwide full fat region. The only things you miss are POI's and worldwide enhanced airports but we are working hard on those ones 8)

Global + Vector + Open Landclass + a good mesh addon = a worldwide full fat region. The only things you miss are POI's and worldwide enhanced airports but we are working hard on those ones 8)

Sounds good... it would be great if we could purchase enhanced POI's & improved airport packs for areas within "Global,vector, lc," but for new areas like Japan or Brazil or other untouched areas of the sim world rather than than the usual Europe, USA & OZ

I think Pago Pago is a fine example of this and how successful it could be... :)

It's a big world out there and a limited number of Orbx developers. I'm well satisfied with what I already have. SOCAL and Global NA South and Germany are in the pipeline now. I'll hold off wishing for more until those have been released.

Noel

Global + Vector + Open Landclass + a good mesh addon = a worldwide full fat region. The only things you miss are POI's and worldwide enhanced airports but we are working hard on those ones 8)

To be honest, my HD space availability is getting smaller and smaller... :wacko: Mesh addon take a lot of space.

Ben

To be honest, my HD space availability is getting smaller and smaller... :wacko: Mesh addon take a lot of space.

Ben

Nature abhors a vacuum, the more capacity HD have, the more addons are relased, its sort of a Aristotelician Law for computers :lol: !

Sounds good... it would be great if we could purchase enhanced POI's & improved airport packs for areas within "Global,vector, lc," but for new areas like Japan or Brazil or other untouched areas of the sim world rather than than the usual Europe, USA & OZ

I think Pago Pago is a fine example of this and how successful it could be... :)

Yes I very much look forward to OpenLC Asia and Africa/Middle East ! And I do wish that Pago is successful to encourage futher Experience packages.

PoI, I don't know. Major PoI look often fake in the game (sorry the training ground for us P3Ders),what I look for is for more precision in the shape and rendition of cities (and Global can get better here), rivers (shape ans silted areas) etc. Fat regions do a better job than OpenLC here.

...rivers (shape ans silted areas) etc.

Rivers are very, very difficult to keep up to date Dominque. Spring floods wash out silted areas and create new ones. Meandering rivers cut off major loops and turn them into oxbows while the cutoff becomes the new channel. Manmade 'improvements' like cutting new channels for navigation and flood control change the look of a river.

One of my tasks when I was a refuge volunteer was to log Pecos River changes after every block release of water from Sumner Lake. At every bend and point I set out a half dozen flags spaced ten feet apart. I would log the GPS location of the bank. After a block release I would go back and see how many flags were carried away, note the GPS location of the new bank and how many feet of erosion took place, and then reset the flags for the next block release.

Full FAT areas and Global/Vector are snapshots in time. And while they are updated from time to time I think it would be almost impossible to constantly update the look of rivers and streams.

Noel

The issue is less to take into account the constant and significant changes of some (not all) river beds and the tide effect on the color of water, at least at that stage, than to give a "stilted" appareance to large rivers and estuaries which are permanetly muddy. I long to see that in PNG or in Alaska for instance. It is a texture placing issue. 

Now, let us dream. I said "at that stage" because the history of flight simulation is full of "that can't be done because of the FS engine limitations" or "the data are just not available for that". And people like OrbX or RealAir or A2A or ASN always find some way, after a while, to bypass these limitations.Once there was no weather in the sim, and came canned themes and we have now real weather. Why wouldn't we have sometimes ahead  tides changing the drawing and colors of the shores ? I find it a good omen that LM has introduced the concept of bathymetry in their avatar of the FS engine. Tides data are here BTW. Now, we need more powerful computer but not by much.

No wonder ORBX changed flying for me also, like you all said.

I second that.

Ben

Just moved to a bigger SSD last week... went so smooth, I can only recommend to do that move.

Just moved to a bigger SSD last week... went so smooth, I can only recommend to do that move.

It's not the money... it's the re-install everything that I'm afraid. I have 1 TB intern and extern but my install (C drive) is a 500 gig.

Ben

It's not the money... it's the re-install everything that I'm afraid. I have 1 TB intern and extern but my install (C drive) is a 500 gig.

Ben

I had the same concern. For me it was easy: I kept my system on the small C drive, and just exchanged D:\, where all my programs and add-ons are stored. That basically brings the process down to "copy everything and rename the drives afterwards". Nothing re-installed.

If I may make an advertisement: The Samsung SSD came with a software that would even assist cloning & moving of the C drive. But I did not have to make that level of move.

Global + Vector + Open Landclass + a good mesh addon = a worldwide full fat region. The only things you miss are POI's and worldwide enhanced airports but we are working hard on those ones 8)

The only things.... Hm well, I think I know what you mean but you aren't doing the regions justice imho. ;) Regions give you far more local specific textures and autogen, everything is a lot more accurately (hand) placed and blends together better, the upgraded airports indeed, POI's, mesh, etc. and despite the greater detail and accuracy regions run better than the Global Vector OpenLC combo. I personally only fly in regions and would never trade them for the Global combo... IMHO there is a world of difference. Nevertheless it's great the Global line exists of course! It blows default scenery out of the water.

Archived