P3Dv2.5 vs P3Dv3 Side by Side Stress Test in NCA

Jordan King

very valuable video, shows exactly whats happening inside the sim and helps to justify to anyone with doubts about this being a new sim V3 or just an update from 2,5 to 2.6, no mention was made of the folder structure which enables future updates to be done without a redownload of the whole sim then reinstalling all the add onns now its just  a 100 meg update and leaves all our other stuff in place, which I feel is a huge plus.

cheers

Ken

Very nice video with excellent comment.Thank

But with your System Specs fortunately we observed an improvement.

For my part I do not feel no pleasure to land with 25 fps.

Intel I7 3960k (overclocked to 4.8ghz)

2xGTX 980 
2x Samsung 840 SSD's running in raid
16 gb of 2000 mhz corsair dominator gt DDR3
Asus Rampage 4 extreme

2xGTX 980 

Asus Rampage 4 extreme

Thank you for the compliment! The thing about this computer is that even with FSX, or P3Dv2.5, when I upgrade a graphics card, or change a CPU, or add more RAM, I still largely get the same performance. So squeezing FPS out of these stale platforms has become a very daunting task unless the platform itself allows my systems capabilities to be realized. This is the first time I have actually been able to accomplish just that. So although you may think that performance in P3D and FSX is relative to hardware, unfortunately it isnt as much as other modern games or software. Regardless, I understand your point completely. If I could get 25fps stable I would be very happy. I guess its all about what is realistic for your system. 

very valuable video, shows exactly whats happening inside the sim and helps to justify to anyone with doubts about this being a new sim V3 or just an update from 2,5 to 2.6, no mention was made of the folder structure which enables future updates to be done without a redownload of the whole sim then reinstalling all the add onns now its just  a 100 meg update and leaves all our other stuff in place, which I feel is a huge plus.

cheers

Ken

Your "stamp of approval" is encouraging! I wish I knew enough about it to comment on it. I am no programmer by any measure, so I didn't want to speak too much about a topic that I am somewhat ignorant on. But from those who do know, I have heard great things about this new folder structure. It will be encouraging to see how devs adapt to it to make full use of its capability. Im sure ORBX will be on the cutting edge.  ;D

This is an awesome video.  Wow - love the professionalism.

Just Excellent and Thank You for doing the side by side test.  I already know 2.5 was buggy for me with VAS issues.  Looking forward to getting 3 in few weeks

Great Video Jordan. The Penultimate side by side comparison.   :)

Ross G.

Thank you Jordan... :) V3 is worth the upgrade for the vas improvements alone in my view... awesome comparison..

A very interesting and truely informative video!

Thank You very much for sharing!

Thank you to you all. I didn't sleep for the 24 hours after release to make this within a timeframe that would be relevant to the communities interest. I am very happy to hear you all enjoyed it!  ^-^

I would like to know what is the minimum System Specs and the best P3D V3 settings to land with a PMDG with 35 fps in the same situation.For me it would be more objective.

It would seem Jordan`s PC is a beast, however he was making a stress test comparison with sliders almost full in all options, i`m sure if one reduced them accordingly and setup everything including cloud textures you will achieve a higher fps at heavy airports. I`m sure the point is because LM have found some room with vas then it kind of seems ironic to start flying with sliders hard out... i wait with anticipation for 3rd party software installers, until then v3 is packed and waiting..

Filou if and when you upgrade to v3 will you still use sfx/reshade?? and your specs are more than adequate for v3.

Cheers

Thank you for the compliment! The thing about this computer is that even with FSX, or P3Dv2.5, when I upgrade a graphics card, or change a CPU, or add more RAM, I still largely get the same performance. So squeezing FPS out of these stale platforms has become a very daunting task unless the platform itself allows my systems capabilities to be realized. This is the first time I have actually been able to accomplish just that. So although you may think that performance in P3D and FSX is relative to hardware, unfortunately it isnt as much as other modern games or software. Regardless, I understand your point completely. If I could get 25fps stable I would be very happy. I guess its all about what is realistic for your system. 

Your "stamp of approval" is encouraging! I wish I knew enough about it to comment on it. I am no programmer by any measure, so I didn't want to speak too much about a topic that I am somewhat ignorant on. But from those who do know, I have heard great things about this new folder structure. It will be encouraging to see how devs adapt to it to make full use of its capability. Im sure ORBX will be on the cutting edge.  ;D

Thank you to you all. I didn't sleep for the 24 hours after release to make this within a timeframe that would be relevant to the communities interest. I am very happy to hear you all enjoyed it!  ^-^

Thank you for your information sharing Jordan.

It would seem Jordan`s PC is a beast, however he was making a stress test comparison with sliders almost full in all options, i`m sure if one reduced them accordingly and setup everything including cloud textures you will achieve a higher fps at heavy airports. I`m sure the point is because LM have found some room with vas then it kind of seems ironic to start flying with sliders hard out... i wait with anticipation for 3rd party software installers, until then v3 is packed and waiting..

Filou if and when you upgrade to v3 will you still use sfx/reshade?? and your specs are more than adequate for v3.

Cheers

Yes I understood the Jordan process.I'm not going yet on P3D V3.I already have a very good performance with P3D V2.5 and I know it will be even better with P3D V3.0.About my Sweetfx reshade i will try first the HDR adjustment and see what is look.Thank for your sharing.

cheers

Ken

The reasons exactly why I will wait to install V3. When Orbx and REX have updated their installers I will give it a go. If you port scenery over the "old" way I believe you wont't see the full VAS improvement.

This is my overview and performance benchmark of P3dV3 flying over the beautiful NCA

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8WBLBleUr0

Amazing video Jordan. I have to connect my Xbox controller and enjoy some fun with avatar..  We need guns for our avatars :)

2xGTX 980 
Asus Rampage 4 extreme

KSFO is intensive airport and location in default, with complex addon scenery it is one of the most performance intensive areas to fly in simulator even only NCA region. Add PMDG aircraft with big performance impact.

Not sure if you have your 4790k overclocked Filou, but some extra MHz would help a little. IvyBridge i7 at 4.8GHz is comparable to Haswell at 4.5-4.6GHz. GTX980 SLI is no real gain or limiter at this scenario.

For airliners it is nothing unusual if you want to fly with maximum details over complex airports and heavy populated urban areas... Sure if you flying mostly low and slow FPS becomes more relevant, but I agree with Jordan, if you stay stable at 25FPS in heavy scenarios it is perfect.

For me personally P3Dv3 seems more smooth, I can't say that runs at better FPS as I didn't any benchmarks or side by side comparsion at my rig, so there is potential placeboo effect but my flying experience is better.

Cheers

Sure, you can set slider not fully to right, but that is what many people not want to do. With complex aircaft and complex airport,  with better GPU until you go crazy (4k, high AA..) imits are mostly from CPU. I would like to see performance with 5960X at same scenario.Extreme setups needs extreme rigs :)

But I'm not sure if more cores would help in this scenario. Even P3D v3 is less CPU intensive, there is still limit of single thread performance... first core have bigger utilization than others. Maybe DX12 will help in future, but with DX12 you are limited for Windows 10.

The reasons exactly why I will wait to install V3. When Orbx and REX have updated their installers I will give it a go. If you port scenery over the "old" way I believe you wont't see the full VAS improvement.

where did you hear that,certainly not from the developer forums over at P3D, folder structure has nothing to do with VAS, Jordan ported over his Orbx stuff using that tool he showed during the video, restructure of folders just means that the scenery and content are in sep folders and the nuts and bolts are in the Client folder, the client can be updated separately from the content and scenery. 

From my own observations the New V3 is a VASt improvement to 2.5, Hi Fi has already adapted ASN.

cheers

Ken

Sorry Ken. Not referring to Jordan's install of NCA just saying that I will only use V3 installers not to mess up the updating process. I am pretty sure manual installs if done correctly will not hurt VAS usage. The ability to turn off scenery in the library is still there if needed.

what were you using to measure the vas? is that something in the p3d folder?i usually use fsuipc but until a upgraded installer comes out, i don't want to install it.

I think there is more apps for VAS. In video you can see ProcessExplorer: https://technet.microsoft.com/cs-cz/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

I just ordered a XBox1 controller after seeing this video. I plan on using the Avatar feature a bit and instead of using a keyboard or my flight controls, plan on just picking up the Xbox controller and moving around that way while outside of the plane.

... the folder structure which enables future updates to be done without a redownload of the whole sim then reinstalling all the add onns now its just  a 100 meg update and leaves all our other stuff in place, which I feel is a huge plus.

cheers

Ken

This is a feature I was asking for way back in the day when we had to keep upgrading sims every 2 years.  When FSX became the last of the series it wasnt needed for awhile but now that DTG and LM are back to revamping things and to see that at least LM is making it modular, feel this will be a huge benefit going forward with future updates.  The reality is, once I have all my addons in a sim, there really isnt anything default Im using except the core engine. Planes, Weather, AI and scenery are all addons among other things so to be able to have the option to leave those alone as the core client gets updates will be very time saving for those kinds of minor updates we will get.

I can confirm that V3 is a huge improvement in terms of VAS usage.

Just as a quick disclaimer, I plan to do a clean install of V3 using all the official installers as they come out. That said I used FSCubed to back up my 2.5 anyway and thought it would be worth testing out the porting function they offer over to V3. It worked brilliantly. Only FSDT and FlightBeam do not transfer along with Vector. Orbx all goes over ok albeit back up original P3D textures are not saved - you can do this manually - as I plan a fresh reinstall in a week or two I didn't mind.

I loaded in PMDG's 777 and planned a flight which typically destroys my machine about 50-60% of the way through both in terms of FPS and OOM's. Hong Kong to Taiwan using VHHH (Taxi2Gate), Dragoneye Hong Kong v2 (SDO) AND FlyTampa Hong Kong along with all the FTX Global textures. In Taiwan I used PacSims new airport RCTP. ActiveSkyNext with heavy storms (real weather currently - typhoon!). Sliders all at same settings as I had in 2.5 which are 80-100% to the right.

Max VAS usage was 3.7GB and it reduced throughout as unused scenery was flushed. There was no danger of an OOM and considering that before it was easy about halfway along the flight, this is an amazing improvement. To be honest, my machine is now the bottleneck somewhat so I plan to dial back on the sliders for better FPS which will only help VAS.

I'm seriously impressed with V3 and looking forward to the clean install in a couple of weeks although everything is working quite nicely now, despite being an unsupported port over of scenery!

James

Archived