Why the total anomynity?

boetie

I've been a member for over 4 years and visit our forum almost daily and I have forged quite a few global friendships here. I do however have a small gripe - why do some members use acronyms etc as their user name? When I reply to a post it feels very impersonal quoting "dad123" or something like that. I know in this world of cybercrime everyone is a paranoid but please can we at least use real names? Cheers 1001001110

Hi Boetie,

Again this discussion?

Yes Rob, AGAIN, it's a rapidly growing forum that is safe and friendly and has dozens of new members joining every week. Join me in welcoming future contributors.

Why ? Because of a golden rule, boetie : live and let live.

You want to be called XYZ, 007, Minotaur27 or boetie (not dominique though there's already one) or whatever, do it. It does not infringe on anything I care or should care for. For an eternity, people have invented nicknames, pseudonyms etc. Nothing new under the sun. Actually the existence of an unchanging name for a person is a relatively new invention in the history of mankind and, in some parts of this planet, people can still have several names over their life.

Don't we have enough rules and constraints in the RL without inventing some more in here. Relax...

EDIT : By the way, Boetie resonates, for a French, as a great pseudo  :) !  Its the name of writer, poet and political philosopher of the 16th century  who became a symbol of friendship since because of his closeness with another major philosopher, Montaigne.

IMO if I really need to know your 'real' name I'll search the Members list for your screen name and if I can send you a PM I'll simply ask.

My screen name ("Spud") was/is my old Navy Callsign and I use it exclusively on the 'Web'.  Not due to paranoia simply because anything aviation related I'm always referred to it.  (FWIW originally I'm from Idaho hence squadron mates gave me the callsign.)

Graeme your username is boetie!!! Why not your real name?  ???

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I'm with you Jack. I don't understand either. Maybe he didn't really mean username? Did he mean the name used in the post itself? I agree with using proper names in the posts/signature but extending that philosophy to the username just doesn't seem practical.

Doug

Interesting Spud.

I got the nickname Judge when I was an Air Force first sergeant. When one of our troops was sent to see the commander for some infraction not requiring non-judicial remedy he would always tell them, "I'm sending you to the 'hanging judge'. He can take care of this."

I used it for quite a while after I retired. When I started volunteering at the wildlife refuge and began taking pictures of birds the staff there started calling me 'birdguy' so I began using it.. But I always sign my posts and replies with my name.

Noel

I see no difference in replying to either John Jones or j1657j. I don't know either of them but I do know there is a real person on the other end of the line and so I respond accordingly to both.

Besides... a lot of foreign real names are more wacky and odd than a lot of fantasy nicknames so... why make a problem of this! :) You might never know if Hani Prokstikani is a real name or not. Come to think of it... using real NAMES doesn't have to mean someone is using their REAL name...!

In short: there are more important things than this.;)

It's not an issue on this forum, but on some...especially political ones...people are more polite and less confrontational when real names are used. Anonymity allows someone to say things he or she wouldn't normally say in a group discussion.

Noel

The forum may be safe between members, but there are legitimate ID theft concerns that keep people from giving out too much info.  Not that this site isn't secure, but the culture of internet safety has grown for good reason, and habits are habits.

Archived