Beached ships outside Anchorage with NA Alaska/Canada LC

Please see the pic attached. Coordinates and image supplied. Is it an error or factual? I have Central to Global,  and latest Libs installed to day.AEC run after install of NA/Canada LC & Libs

Hello, jjaycee.  Anchorage is in region SAK, so maybe Central should be set to NA?  Plus there are some compatibility issues that Holger discusses elsewhere in the compatibility forum.

Please see the pic attached. Coordinates and image supplied. Is it an error or factual? I have Central to Global,  and latest Libs installed to day.AEC run after install of NA/Canada LC & Libs

With OpenLC Canada/Alaska installed, you also now get beached boats and cottages way inland in the lake south of Parry Sound. The one for the water operations.  It appears that the OpenLC Canada/Alaska landclass files are messing with Vector to some degree.  I thought it was my singular computer...but see that it isn't. It's like the shores have changed their configurations.

Hi there,

openLC does not change the location of shorelines or waterbodies, only Global Vector and the FTX Regions, or an equivalent third-party add-on like UTX do. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, I do not seem to really have an answer to my query yet regarding the beached ships. It is not a big deal but just interested in knowing if I have something wrong in my P3D or if there is a clash of sceneries. I do not have SAK and i do not have UTX or GEX. I do have FTX Global + Vector+ NA LC and PNW +Tongass. My Central setting  is Global since Anchorage is not covered by any addon I have (except Global, Vector and NA LC). Is the discrepancy therefore one of AI(ships) misplacement within NA LC?

Hi Holger, I do not seem to really have an answer to my query yet regarding the beached ships. It is not a big deal but just interested in knowing if I have something wrong in my P3D or if there is a clash of sceneries. I do not have SAK and i do not have UTX or GEX. I do have FTX Global + Vector+ NA LC and PNW +Tongass. My Central setting  is Global since Anchorage is not covered by any addon I have (except Global, Vector and NA LC). Is the discrepancy therefore one of AI(ships) misplacement within NA LC?

If you have FTX PNW, shouldn't you set your Central setting to North America anyway?  Don't know if this will solve the problem, but it's worth a try.  If you do a lot of flying up there, I'd recommend getting SAK, since you already have PNW and Tongass Fjords.

Stew

Hi there,

changing Groups in FTX Central won't affect the positioning of shorelines, especially not if Vector is involved as that is not controlled by FTX Central.

Global Vector replaces the default shorelines. Those vessels are default static objects that were placed by ACES based on the position of the default shorelines. Looks like there's a spatial difference between the Vector and default shorelines and thus the vessels end up on land. A quick cross-check would be to temporarily uncheck the four ORBX!VECTOR_ entries in the scenery library menu; you can do that with FSX running, in slew mode above the harbor, and thus see the difference without needing to restart.

Cheers, Holger

Yup.  Holgers suggestion turning off the Orbx Global vector scenery files clearly demonstrated the issues.   The default scenery puts the ships on the beach because the shoreline is drawn differently in the default FSX.   Given that Global vector and the new OpenLC make things much more accurate,  would be nice if Orbx could repair the anomaly some how.   Preference would be to put a proper container terminal at Anchorage.  Looks a bit weird to have container cranes sitting on grass though the global vector shoreline clearly shows the outline of a cement container terminal pad.

Anyway, would be nice if this was somehow fixed..   the ships and terminals matter to me because I spent 20+ years working for ocean carriers!  

Eric

Hi Eric,

it's already been fixed, by FTX Southern Alaska: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/54436-sak-anchorage/?hl=anchorage

That's what the FTX Regions are for: smaller areas than the Global series but maximum detail. SAK includes photoreal harbor coverage of Anchorage, Valdez, Seward, Homer, and Juneau.

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

changing Groups in FTX Central won't affect the positioning of shorelines, especially not if Vector is involved as that is not controlled by FTX Central.

Global Vector replaces the default shorelines. Those vessels are default static objects that were placed by ACES based on the position of the default shorelines. Looks like there's a spatial difference between the Vector and default shorelines and thus the vessels end up on land. A quick cross-check would be to temporarily uncheck the four ORBX!VECTOR_ entries in the scenery library menu; you can do that with FSX running, in slew mode above the harbor, and thus see the difference without needing to restart.

Cheers, Holger

Many thanks for your explanation Holger. Makes sense now. Thanks also for letting me know that if I want to eliminate this anomaly then I can do so with SAK.

Archived