Upgrading FSX System from Windows 7 to Windows 10

MZee1960

Hi Guys  ! 

Now that W10 is here ....... one question persists.

For those of us happily running the boxed version of FSX,  along with REX,   Orbx ,  UT2,  AccuFeel,  and many Carenado addons on Windows 7,  is it only as simple as clicking the  'update to W10'  key to have everything changed over and running on W10 via Windows Update ?   This is according to what MS seems to be saying - sounds too easy,  don't you think  ?    :-

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,

MZ.  

That update button is just to reserve your copy, you'll be notified when it's ready.  Was supposed to release today, but I haven't seen anything to download yet. 

Hi Bruce,

Yes, I am aware of this, but my question is :  Once you have your copy downloaded and you are prompted by Windows Update that it's ready to install,  will simply clicking the  'install'  button update W7 to W10 with a fully functioning FSX with addons,  free of any  'glitches' , just as it was working in Windows 7  ?    Seems too good to be true, at this point in time IMHO.

Any thoughts ?  

I clicked on windows update and there is where I found out it was downloaded and ready to install. I installed it and after fooling with it awhile I held my breath and fired up fsx. Everything works. ASN, REX, EZDOK, it all worked. I tried it with PMDG and A2A aircraft and they all worked just fine. I use 3 screens and at first there was a problem with that. I couldn't get drivers from NVidia to install and I was at a loss. One time I had to reboot for a different thing and whatever was wrong was somehow solved. My surround was all set. I didn't have to do anything. I've been foolin with it all day and I haven't found anything to really complain about. I quickly got used to the new Edge browser and I like it. My favorites imported with no effort. So far so good.

Does anyone know yet if Win 10  increases performance or reduces the OOM's in P3D? That will probably be the only reason I would update to Win 10. There has been talk of DirectX 12 improving things but I'm more of a wait and see guy 8)

Cheers

Martin

Martin, 

I will give my two cents here... Please understand its just that my two cents... ;) Win 10 will not fix the OOM issue from what I understand. (I hope OOM will be a thing of the past one day). That being said I am loving windows 10....! 

Hi, I am eagerly awaiting the new Windows 10 and I am pleased to hear some positive feedback. I am using P3D, and my question is does anyone know if the flight controls from Logitech, G940, will work?

I would not be happy if they don't.

Cheers

Does anyone know yet if Win 10  increases performance or reduces the OOM's in P3D? That will probably be the only reason I would update to Win 10. There has been talk of DirectX 12 improving things but I'm more of a wait and see guy 8)

Cheers

Martin

I did a few circuits with P3D 2.5 yesterday after making the switch from 7 to 10. I can't comment on OOMs as I never had one since that odd version (I think it was 2.2). Performance (expectedly) is approximately the same, at least it didn't double. Would expect the same for FSX.

Overall, there were no real issues, all the drivers for my Saitek gear were found automagically. Only ESellerate asked me to reactivae the FSDT/FB Airports because of new HARDware(?), which I just did.

Kind regards

I did a "Clean Install" of Win10 64 Pro(after I did the "Free Update" thing)and P3D 2.5 wouldn't install because of a "MSVCR100.dll Missing" error.   Resolved this by installing older version of DirectX and re-installing MS C++.    Then the P3D installer was working fine except for when it asked for my Activation info.   I put in the required ID's and the install failed because of "Too many Activations - Lic Key No Longer Valid" messages.   I had to email LM's Licensing and here I sit waiting for response to this issue.    Hope I don't have to re-purchase P3D Academic!!

BTW, no problems noted yet with FSX Steam Edition.  Sim installed with no problems so far, am now installing aircraft and Orbx.

C.

Not sure what happened on my system, but all my default airports ended up with skinny runways and no aprons... and payware airports refused to show at all following the W10 update...

Still, if I'm updating my OS, it's probably time for a fresh FSX install too ;)

Good news is, the disconnecting controls seem to be a thing of the past... 

Glad to hear no major problems with FSX and W10 update so far. 

Thanks, Ed,  for the feedback and link. 

Perhaps, I will still wait a bit before plunging into W10.  We have a year to get the free upgrade anyway !    ::)   

Archived