East Coast

Tvegas

Any plans for doing the U.S.A. East Coast Terrains & airports ?

I think I asked the same questions a couple of years ago, but these guys are all about the west coast, more so the upper west coast, and every where else in the globe. I'm originally from NYC, and would love to see east coast done, but I thing it will happen when NYC's temperature reaches 100 degrees on December 25th. ;D

It's likely to be one of the regions looked at after the west coast is completed... as I think there would be a lot of interest in the East Coast from Boston down to Florida.

But like everything it will depend on availability of source material and other resources.  

Anyway don't hold your breath at this stage :-)

Beware of urban density and traffic. It'd be better to talk about SPF (seconds per frame) instead of FPS[emoji14]

Florida is fine with FTX Global, Vector, and the future OpenLC IMO. I used to live there and there isn't much there besides farm fields, forests, swamps, and towns and cities scattered about. There aren't any mountains or unique terrain features, in fact, Sugarloaf Mountain, the highest point of elevation, is only 345 feet (105 meters) high. if ORBX wanted to do some airports people haven't made yet in Florida such as Sarasota-Bradenton Intl, I'd be fine with that. Florida just wouldn't be worth ORBX's time, even to somebody like I who's from Florida.

North/South Carolina on the other hand... I'd love to see those!

Hi Folks,

I believe NEM (New England/Meritimes) is still on the drawing board so don't loose hope.  I had actually started some of the airports before I was pulled away to work on ENG.

Cheers, Neil

Upper New England states might be worth doing but the rest of the eastern US is pretty boring and bland to me except Maybe the lower section of Florida and the keys keys. An other area to consider is the Great Lakes area. Like others have said though Open LC NA will do these other areas good. Mix in some nice airports and it will be good to go. I would rather see Alaska completed before east coast. Alaska has so much more to offer and endless bush flying.

As much as I love flying over Florida, and I do it all the time, I don't think Florida will be much of a market for ORBX, unless they plan to do a bunch of small GA airports. The market is saturated in the larger areas, such as Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, even Key West. As for the north east states, if you can deal with the density of Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, you can deal with NYC and Boston.

Florida is fine with FTX Global, Vector, and the future OpenLC IMO. I used to live there and there isn't much there besides farm fields, forests, swamps, and towns and cities scattered about. There aren't any mountains or unique terrain features, in fact, Sugarloaf Mountain, the highest point of elevation, is only 345 feet (105 meters) high. if ORBX wanted to do some airports people haven't made yet in Florida such as Sarasota-Bradenton Intl, I'd be fine with that. Florida just wouldn't be worth ORBX's time, even to somebody like I who's from Florida.

North/South Carolina on the other hand... I'd love to see those!

I agree with you on Florida. It's a beautiful state, of course, but the scenery might be a little flat for a full-fat region. The Global coverage for Florida, once completed by OpenLC, should look great.

Being a native North Carolinian, I will add a hearty "Amen!" to your desire to see a region covering the Carolinas. :) Even factoring out my obvious bias, I think that would make an outstanding Orbx region. North Carolina's terrain features beaches and barrier islands, open farmland, rolling hills and forests, and the highest mountains in the eastern US. There are also many cities and towns of various sizes, as well as plenty of airports that would make great candidates for the Orbx treatment. This part of the country has largely been overlooked in the flight sim add-on market, unfortunately. I'd be ecstatic if Orbx made a region or regions covering North Carolina, as well as South Carolina and Virginia.

I agree with you on Florida. It's a beautiful state, of course, but the scenery might be a little flat for a full-fat region. The Global coverage for Florida, once completed by OpenLC, should look great.

Being a native North Carolinian, I will add a hearty "Amen!" to your desire to see a region covering the Carolinas. :) Even factoring out my obvious bias, I think that would make an outstanding Orbx region. North Carolina's terrain features beaches and barrier islands, open farmland, rolling hills and forests, and the highest mountains in the eastern US. There are also many cities and towns of various sizes, as well as plenty of airports that would make great candidates for the Orbx treatment. This part of the country has largely been overlooked in the flight sim add-on market, unfortunately. I'd be ecstatic if Orbx made a region or regions covering North Carolina, as well as South Carolina and Virginia.

I know a developer made Mountain Air which is in The Carolinas, I'd love to fly there from/to ORBX fields, sadly there are no addon airfields in The Carolinas besides Mountain Air. 

A cool thing about The Carolinas is due to their extremely tropical environment, they were chosen for the filming of the Vietnam scenes in Forest Gump. Would love to fly over such tropical terrain! You also have The Smokey Mountains and areas such as Gatlinburg, which would be amazing to fly over! Check out this picture here,

collavo-bullhead.jpg

Now tell me you wouldn't want to fly there! I'd love to see The Carolinas, it'd have the potential to be as great as PNW when it came out!

I'd like to see them finish up western NA first. The remained of Wyoming plus Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. But these are my stomping grounds so I am quite naturally biased.

It's hard to get lost if you're flying in Eastern Colorado. If the mountains are on your right you're heading south. If the are on your left you're heading north. If the are in front of you you're heading west. If you can't see the mountains you're heading east.

Noel

The Blue Ridge mountains would be a nice addition Outrage. Having driven the Parkway several times in each direction I can vouch for it's beauty. A dirt strip in Cades Cove would be nice too. And the fall colors with Orbx trees would be icing on the cake.

Noel

If you want to have some fun in the mountains of the eastern states, and in keeping with the flight adventure themes of the Pacific NW, I would suggest and have a crack at the entire Appalachian regional states of West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia. Lots of fun flying without a lot of hit on FPS.

No need to write off Florida getting the Orbx treatment.

South Florida, the Keys and the Bahamas should be a "must-do" for Orbx.  Perhaps a complete tropical region, for a unique change. 

Possible stand-alone airports would be a long list:

FLORIDA:

Everglades

Tamiami - Kendall Airport

Ocean Reef

Homestead General

Homestead ARB

Marathon

Key West NAS

Key West Intl.

Many float-plane bases such as in the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas.

The Bahamas would include an endless number of airports, ranging from strips to international APs.  Just include Nassau, Bimini, Abaco, Exuma, etc...

I have to agree with you on the Bahamian Island chain. Once you reach Nassau, it's just islands after islands as far as the eye can see, until you reach Turks and Caicos Islands. Then you better hope you have a good working aircraft to make the leap of faith flight on to the eastern and southern Caribbean Islands. ;)

Aren't the Bahamas essentially flat as well?  Might be fine with the global/vector/openLC.  The rest of the Caribbean might benefit.  

Really would like to see New England and the Eastern Canadian coast get the full treatment. :)

Aside from the higher detailing provided by an Orbx region, the Florida/Bahamas would highly benefit from hand placed water textures.  Elevation changes may be minimal compared to PNW, for example, but the change in "scenery" would be dramatically different and refreshing.  Island hopping would be a fun adventure, especially when taking off and landing from non-generic airports. 

I would LOVE to see some Orbx magic applied to New England.  

Here's a video I found of a real flight around Mount Washington, which is only about 25 miles from my house. Hard to beat NH White Mountains region for some really awesome flights . . . especially in small aircraft. Closest airport is Mount Washington Regional [KHIE]:

https://youtu.be/SZHw2VHTTW8

Why is everyone mentioning if a region is "worth doing" or not based only on elevation? There are more elements of interest to consider besides just that factor... Also somebody mentioned areas being "saturated" but they mention just airports, where a region is so much more than just that...

I guess elevation is mentioned a lot because it's more challenging to land on a side of a mountain, than on a beach front property. As for saturation, if you are speaking about my Florida comment, where else are you going to land unless you want to land on the swamps with the Gators!

Being a native North Carolinian, I will add a hearty "Amen!" to your desire to see a region covering the Carolinas.  :)Even factoring out my obvious bias, I think that would make an outstanding Orbx region. North Carolina's terrain features beaches and barrier islands, open farmland, rolling hills and forests, and the highest mountains in the eastern US. There are also many cities and towns of various sizes, as well as plenty of airports that would make great candidates for the Orbx treatment. This part of the country has largely been overlooked in the flight sim add-on market, unfortunately. I'd be ecstatic if Orbx made a region or regions covering North Carolina, as well as South Carolina and Virginia. 

BPL, do you ever get over to Durham? I am just up the road in Henderson and would be happy to meet! Am recently new to ORBX.

Lennie G.

I guess elevation is mentioned a lot because it's more challenging to land on a side of a mountain, than on a beach front property. As for saturation, if you are speaking about my Florida comment, where else are you going to land unless you want to land on the swamps with the Gators!

Yes, I did refer to that comment actually, and the thought is I don't disagree about the places to land, but again, a region is much more than just an airport...  They could very well do a region on the proximity of an existing large airport from another vendor (which they already do for all the other regions...) and just dom the small ones, or not even add an airport at all...

I'm someone who mostly flies in mountains, simply because I enjoy the scenery.  However, I'll sometime fly in flat areas too, if it has other features worth seeing.  I've not tried Florida, so I can't say I know the place or what's worth seeing, but I do like interesting shorelines, rivers, and other features that attract the eye.  If Orbx were to produce a Florida, I'd buy it of course, but I still reckon I'd fly there less than, say, PFJ.  A couple of added airports would help keep my attention, as would, say, a photoreal Keys area.

Just now, probably the flattest region is England, and I fly there least of all.  Yes it has some mountains in the north, but neighbouring Scotland has far more and so gets more of my attention.  I bought a bunch of England airports in the recent sale and that will get me flying there a bit more, but I still think I'll spend proportionally more time in the regions with lumps and bumps.  But hey, that's me.

BPL, do you ever get over to Durham? I am just up the road in Henderson and would be happy to meet! Am recently new to ORBX.

Lennie G.

Sent you a message, Lennie. :)

Archived