Is something wrong with the GTX660 gpu?

ojiito

Just curious, I see people on here with mostly 700-series, and now of course the 970/980.  The common older GPUs seem to the 500-series.  I don't think I've ever seen a 660, like I have.  Mine seems to be very fine, and was the best one I could afford last year without the significant price jump to the 780 or something.   Any reason they aren't that common, or do people have them and I'm just missing it?

Like I said, I'm just curious, this has not much to do with anything.  Just nerd stuff.

I didn't until Jabbie told what it meant in that other thread. He also told me Mobo means motherboard. Two new things I learned today. He didn't give away nerd secrets did he?

Noel

Oh no - I've let slip the secret codes!  I'll have to answer to the Secretary-General of the Nerd Association for this!

Yeah, I'm on a GTX 680 and pretty happy with it.

I have a 660. the original one was faulty but its replacement has been working fine and does well enough for me.

I actually have a 770 still in the box but I never really wanted a 250 watt GPU that says it needs 42 amps. Im a fan of efficiency

and doing more with less. My 660 uses less power than my old 9800GT.

I have a 560ti and its terrific in DX10 and have no plans to upgrade until it dies. My understanding is its the last two numbers of the GPU that count the most relatively speaking (to a point) so your not jumping up much to go to a 970 and if it were me I would stick with what you got

I am perfectly happy with my card, no plans to change anytime soon.  Just wondering about what people thought of it.  In fact my whole system rocks, I just want to get around to a modest overclock and I think I'll be good for a while.

In regards to overclocking Ive been running at 4.7ghz for nearly 2 years without any noticeable loss in CPU performance. I think its a waste to have all that power sitting in the CPU unleashed and flight sim needs all the power it can get!

Hi all, interesting thread.  I have a 660 that has been working quite well for about 15 months but at times I do get a message that the "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". 

Downloading the latest drivers makes no difference.   It happens whilst answering emails etc or in FSX or in Steam Train Simulator.  Black screen and then on keying enter it generally returns,  Sometimes not and requires a re boot.

I thought of OC'ing but have not been game to do so.  FS needs all it can get and mine seems lack compared to an i7 that other simmer friend have.

Cheers

Just curious, I see people on here with mostly 700-series, and now of course the 970/980.  The common older GPUs seem to the 500-series.  I don't think I've ever seen a 660, like I have.  Mine seems to be very fine, and was the best one I could afford last year without the significant price jump to the 780 or something.   Any reason they aren't that common, or do people have them and I'm just missing it?

Like I said, I'm just curious, this has not much to do with anything.  Just nerd stuff.

I have 2 660ti SC. FSX is mainly CPU dependent. P3D will certainly benefit from a newer card such as 970 etc.

Greetings from Down-Under.

I have been using the 660 for about 15 months and all seems to be well except for:

I often get a note that the "display adaptor has stopped working and has now recovered".

It results in a black screen first and then the message after recovery.  In the worst case if the black screen is prolonged keying enter will generally restore it.

In the worst case its a reboot.

Installing the latest drivers makes no difference.

It can happen whilst simply reading and replying to emails or in FSX or the Steam Railway Simulator.

Annoying but to re built the computer is a big big deterrent.

No idea why, can anyone comment as I do not think its related to the 660 specifically.

Cheers

Sorry in previous looks the original message did not appear.

I often get a note that the "display adaptor has stopped working and has now recovered".

It results in a black screen first and then the message after recovery.  In the worst case if the black screen is prolonged keying enter will generally restore it.

I used to get that with a previous card in a gaming laptop.  It transpired it was due to an overheating problem, and no matter what I did it couldn't be resolved - it was a laptop design error.  So I ended up building a new machine with a better card and haven't looked back since.  You might want to install something that can check your GPU temperature to see if that's the issue.

Greetings from Down-Under.

I have been using the 660 for about 15 months and all seems to be well except for:

In the worst case its a reboot.

Installing the latest drivers makes no difference.

It can happen whilst simply reading and replying to emails or in FSX or the Steam Railway Simulator.

Annoying but to re built the computer is a big big deterrent.

No idea why, can anyone comment as I do not think its related to the 660 specifically.

Cheers

Sorry in previous looks the original message did not appear.

You probably have a deffect in your card. Time to RMA or replace.

I have an EVGA GTX 670 with 2 gig of ram. I am running three 27" monitors off of it in surround mode. FSX and P3D. I have had now issues with it. Would like to maybe someday get a 4 gig GPU. Other then that, it has been a good card.

I just checked my GTX660 in dxdiag and was shocked to see it's reporting 4095MB? It's a 3GB card. Anyway, I bought this for P3D and the only complaint I have is some brief terrain spiking as I pan around. 2.5 was a total disaster with heavy graphic corruption, so went back to 2.4.

Jabble, thanks for your comments.  I have a 750 watt supply and apparently adequate cooling, so says the provider.  The thing occurs mostly just after startup and seems to be OK for the rest of the day after about an hour.   Today no problem at all and I have been on for about 8 hours flying for video.   Thanks, Cheers 

Jabble

I forgot to say I do run a program to check temps and ram usage (HWInf64):

Temperature: at start up and just reading emails etc it runs at about 37 C on the 4 cores rising maybe 1 or two degrees.

Running FSX it gets into the 50's and if its 40 C outside I have read 60 C which is pretty close to explosion level I would say.

The strange thing is that my black screens are usually just after startup.  Had one this morning and none since in 7 hours.

The program also shows that it was a waste of money to have 16G of ram when FSX 32 bit and restricted to 4G.

I pulled 8G off several months ago and ran for 2 months and I could not see any performance difference at all.

I know nothing of p3d as I will never run it as it would destroy my flying interests and nothing my friends have said about it or provided images of it would send me racing off to get involved

"p3d taketh away"   My involvement in the Bomber Command Center media could not be done with p3d

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?289855-THE-RAF-BOMBER-COMMAND-CENTER-IN-LINCOLN-–-Simulation-is-involved!&p=1920843#post1920843

Thanks, Cheers

Cheers.

Ps writing this post reply the temp on one core shows 41 maximum the rest 39 max.

Archived